1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Wheel Loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Loose

Alright Guru's I need some assistance with my '92 250 4x4. The steering wheel has quite a bit of movement up, down, and side to side. If I had to guess, it would be at least 1/2" inch. The actual steering column is secure. It seams like the spline that the steering wheel is fastened to is loose? So im wondering where or what is worn to cause the movement. I understand the purpose of a clock spring. But would an aged of faulty clock spring create the feeling of a loose steering wheel? Or is there a bearing of some sort between the tilt and steering wheel that could be worn? Also I recall hearing about a sacrificial pin somewhere in the steering column that is to fail during an impact. Could it be the culprit? Sorry folks, I'm thinking out loud about all the possible culprits before I begin tearing it apart.
Thx
Darren
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
92 would be the newer style column, right?

Clock spring can have no effect on slop, so that's out.

Not sure about a pin, but when you say slop, just the wheel or wheel and upper part of the column?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
There isn't really a pin it is plastic injected into grooves cut into the inner (solid) shaft through holes in the outer sleeve. I have never seen one come loose.
If I had to guess I would say the bearings were shot. I think if the steering wheel were that loose the splines would be so worn they wouldn't engage. .
Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
92 would be the newer style column, right?

Clock spring can have no effect on slop, so that's out.

Not sure about a pin, but when you say slop, just the wheel or wheel and upper part of the column?
More so the the wheel.
Not to say that there isn't a little movement in the upper part of the column itself.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
There isn't really a pin it is plastic injected into grooves cut into the inner (solid) shaft through holes in the outer sleeve. I have never seen one come loose.
If I had to guess I would say the bearings were shot. I think if the steering wheel were that loose the splines would be so worn they wouldn't engage. .
So there's a bearing between the tilt and the clock spring?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by cey800
So there's a bearing between the tilt and the clock spring?
I didn't realize I is a tilt column. that brings one more thing that it could be.
I am not sure how the dodge tilt mechanism is mounted to the column. but on GM columns it is quite common for the mounting bolts to come loose. causing the symptoms you describe. There are 3 bearings in a three bearings in the tilt column 2 on the top and one at the bottom. I think they would all be under the famous clock spring.( mine is pre clockspring)

Edit, I checked the doge schematic for the dodge tilt and it is very similar to the GM column. And the tilt mechanism is possibly the culprit the culprit.There are 4 bolts that clamp a casting to a floating plate. if the bolts come just a little loose there can be a bunch of movement.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
I didn't realize I is a tilt column. that brings one more thing that it could be.
I am not sure how the dodge tilt mechanism is mounted to the column. but on GM columns it is quite common for the mounting bolts to come loose. causing the symptoms you describe. There are 3 bearings in a three bearings in the tilt column 2 on the top and one at the bottom. I think they would all be under the famous clock spring.( mine is pre clockspring)

Edit, I checked the doge schematic for the dodge tilt and it is very similar to the GM column. And the tilt mechanism is possibly the culprit the culprit.There are 4 bolts that clamp a casting to a floating plate. if the bolts come just a little loose there can be a bunch of movement.
Appreciate it.
Any chance you could forward me a copy of the schematic?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Just for fun My steering column credentials

anybody fab their own steering column? - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 08-30-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Fwiw
Most steering column issues can be attributed to using the steering wheel to haul your fat butts into the truck. I grab the pillar to stabilize my entry. Read on these boards many years ago to NOT pull myself up into my truck for the end results are what you guys are talking about
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
It is a GM made colum in your dodge.

Follow your GM service for tilt wheels.

M
Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
and this is why I left the running boards on mine. seen a lot of loose wheels/columns because of this.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM

I know a guy that is 86years old that drives a lifted second gen with 34" tires. He has a Rubbermaid plastic step stool with a hole drilled in it for a small rope. when he gets out he lowers the stool with the rope.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
There is also a tension spring underneath the column lockplate that goes bad(at least I've had it happen on GM products I've owned). If yer gonna take it apart do yourself a huge favor and pick up a lockplate compression tool... Performance Tool W80649 - Lock Plate Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts (Not an endorsement of oreilly..just showing the tool) it's about impossible to reassemble without it.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
There is also a tension spring underneath the column lockplate that goes bad(at least I've had it happen on GM products I've owned). If yer gonna take it apart do yourself a huge favor and pick up a lockplate compression tool... Performance Tool W80649 - Lock Plate Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts (Not an endorsement of oreilly..just showing the tool) it's about impossible to reassemble without it.
X2 on the tool. I made one after doing a couple without it.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Not a whole lot shown in the parts manual on this style column, decided to look into the FSM and voila, they say it is not designed to be serviced.

Here is the best info I can lay on you.

Steering Wheel Loose-91-tilt-column-service.jpg

Steering Wheel Loose-91-tilt-column-service.-1jpg.jpg

Steering Wheel Loose-91-tilt-column-service.-2.jpg

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Loose