1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering??

Ok so I noticed that my steering was starting to get sloppy. So upon further investigation I realized that everything was sloppy. So today I ordered a new steering lower shaft and steering box. I would also like to replace the bearings etc in the upper tilt steering column because there seems to be play where that comes through the firewall. However, I have no clue what's in thereand habe not been able to find a diagram of that. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My advise is to Order a Borgeson steering shaft as for the steering column unless it has a bunch of slop I would fix the Lower shaft and see if that fixes your Problem .
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 AM

The upper column above the rag joint is a two piece slip fit with injection molded plastic between the two. When i did my steering, I found that the Borgeson shaft the PO put on had slipped down a good 6in..... I about lost steering. Crammed that sucker back up in there with a long 2x4 and my arm (i wouldn't hammer, could crush the plastic, gotta push hard though) and tack welded my Borgeson in place. This got rid of alot of my slop. And the Borg will still collapse in a crash (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) I don't think a stock shaft can do this, but still something to check, if the spring above the rag has play then it's slid. If you grab the shaft and it has side to side play then i think you're looking at a new upper column assembly, but it would have to be pretty significant, mine has some side to side slop but it doens't show in the steering.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
This guy sells a solution to a sloppy bearing in the column. It's marketed to 2nd Gen owners, but I believe it will work on 91.5-93 1st Gen columns.

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/
Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Here's a screen snip from a PDF file I have 1st Gen part numbers....

Name:  partnumbersforcolumn_zps63ee6325.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  70.4 KB
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey TC Did your order the kit and try it yet. Looks like a no brainer if our columns are similar. What say you ? Ron
Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
You might check out the "sticky" on the quick and dirty steering gear box adjustment thread. Sounds pretty simple to do and if it works could save you some cash on not having to buy a new steering gear box
Old 12-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by honobiahunter
You might check out the "sticky" on the quick and dirty steering gear box adjustment thread. Sounds pretty simple to do and if it works could save you some cash on not having to buy a new steering gear box
Chip at Power Steering Services explained to me that this is a bench adjustment, requires measuring inch-ounces of torque, and is strictly a drag adjustment. It doesn't directly adjust backlash. He also explained that most that had been adjusted in frame were too tight and damaged the ball screw assembly, making the sector a boat anchor.

The correct adjustment procedure is in the FSM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Thats good to know. I'm glad I haven't attempted that yet. I'm fixing to rebuild the steering coupler and was thinking about doing this if the coupler rebuild doesn't take out much of the slack. Do you happen to have the writeup in the FSM for correct adjustment that you could post?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM

J_martin,

Here is one more I found. Similar to the one I mentioned earlier. Read through this and if its something you would suggest not trying please feel free to do so because I don't wanna screw something up that'd end up costing me more to fix or repair down the road

How to: steering box adjustment - DodgeForum.com

I think the second link would be the proper way to adjust it

http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html
Old 12-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by honobiahunter
J_martin,

Here is one more I found. Similar to the one I mentioned earlier. Read through this and if its something you would suggest not trying please feel free to do so because I don't wanna screw something up that'd end up costing me more to fix or repair down the road

How to: steering box adjustment - DodgeForum.com

I think the second link would be the proper way to adjust it

http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html
The second one is right. However, which would be easier once the pitman arm is off? Remove the sector, or remove the steering column?

The adjustment is called "over center". Here's a screen grab from the manual.

Name:  SteeringOverCenterAdj_zpscb430894.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  171.4 KB
Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this adjustment today How to: steering box adjustment - DodgeForum.com and it seems like it helped a great deal. I have not driven it on the freeway yet and that will be the true test.

I have been fighting the sloppiness in my steering wheel for sometime now. Really a pain. I bought the borgenson some time ago and it did help but the main problem is or was in my gear box. I plan on getting a Red Head gear box sometime in the future.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by oliverbutthead
I have been fighting the sloppiness in my steering wheel for sometime now. Really a pain. I bought the borgenson some time ago and it did help but the main problem is or was in my gear box. I plan on getting a Red Head gear box sometime in the future.
Have you checked for frame flext at the steering box? It's a one man job to check. Just grab the steering shaft with engine idling (in park safely yah know) and turn the shaft to steer it and watch the box. You'll see it move. You can significantly increase the steering forces by dropping tire pressure and applying the brakes with will increase the amount the box moves (if there is a problem here with your rig).

Separate subject, but if you want a sure way to wear out your steering components quickly, spend a lot of time steering when parked on dry pavement with the brakes on. I've seen this sheer spring locating pins in fatigue in marginal applications. Big tires, low tire pressure, wheel outset and poor drag link geometry makes the forces higher.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have checked the frame because at one time it got really bad and ALL the bolts were loose! I live on a mountain up switchbacks and a failure would not be good. I check them much more often now. When I get a Redhead box, I plan on installing a brace for it too that I bought a while back. I forget where exactly it came from now but someone here put me in that direction.

I am sure I need to update my drag link and other components like you said. Probably sooner than later. I just had to put in a Getrag. 2nd in a year actually. Trying to save money, I had an unknown shop rebuild and apparently they didn't set the bearing pre load correctly. I took it out and put it back in both times and it sure sucks having to do it again in 6 months time!