1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Spicer/Tremec ESO66 6+1

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Spicer/Tremec ESO66 6+1

I recently found a VE pumped 12 valve that will be getting overhauled and ready to stuff in my '66 Highboy. I have been up in the air as to what tranny setup I want to run though. I want to be able to run down the interstate at 80 MPH easily but I also want to be able to tow heavy. Originally I was thinking of an NV4500 and a Gear Vendors with 4.10's but that would cost upwards of $5000 and NV4500's have their 5th gear problems and Gear Vendors aren't very rebuildable because they won't sell us the parts.

But then I discovered that Tremec still makes Spicer's 6+1 in an overdrive version. If I were to run a ESO66 with 3.07's it would give me almost the exact same first and reverse ratios as the NV4500 with 4.10's and a smidgen higher overdrive than the NV and Gear Vendors.

Do you all think this would be a good idea? The Overdrive model is rated at 660 Ft. lbs. of torque which is 200 more than the NV4500's. The seven speeds are a little touchy to shift but I get along great with them.

Just wanted to bounce my brainstorming off you guys to check for any errors or overlooked problems.

Also, I already have adapter plates and flywheels for both trannys so that isn't really a deciding factor.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
I recently found a VE pumped 12 valve that will be getting overhauled and ready to stuff in my '66 Highboy. I have been up in the air as to what tranny setup I want to run though. I want to be able to run down the interstate at 80 MPH easily but I also want to be able to tow heavy. Originally I was thinking of an NV4500 and a Gear Vendors with 4.10's but that would cost upwards of $5000 and NV4500's have their 5th gear problems and Gear Vendors aren't very rebuildable because they won't sell us the parts.

But then I discovered that Tremec still makes Spicer's 6+1 in an overdrive version. If I were to run a ESO66 with 3.07's it would give me almost the exact same first and reverse ratios as the NV4500 with 4.10's and a smidgen higher overdrive than the NV and Gear Vendors.

Do you all think this would be a good idea? The Overdrive model is rated at 660 Ft. lbs. of torque which is 200 more than the NV4500's. The seven speeds are a little touchy to shift but I get along great with them.

Just wanted to bounce my brainstorming off you guys to check for any errors or overlooked problems.

Also, I already have adapter plates and flywheels for both trannys so that isn't really a deciding factor.
Back a few years ago there was an epic thread where a member put a medium duty OD trans ( Spicer FS8406 I believe ). Anyway, it worked well for him.

For him the only real issue was marrying the TC to it as his was a 4X4, that took more effort than anything else.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Back a few years ago there was an epic thread where a member put a medium duty OD trans ( Spicer FS8406 I believe ). Anyway, it worked well for him.

For him the only real issue was marrying the TC to it as his was a 4X4, that took more effort than anything else.
Good point. I was planning on leaving my t-case divorced unless it looked really simple to build the parts to marry them.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Not sure how heavy this rig is you're building or how heavy you plan on towing, but have you looked at any of the Eaton 9 or 12 speed trannys that backed commercial application 12v?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
Not sure how heavy this rig is you're building or how heavy you plan on towing, but have you looked at any of the Eaton 9 or 12 speed trannys that backed commercial application 12v?
I have. I was intrigued by the rtoo and rtox series but I would have to do a fair bit of floorboard modification to fit a twin counter shaft tranny and synchronization is nice.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Interesting transmission...never come across one before in my searches, and research.

That still looks like a BIG transmission! I wonder how much floor, and cross member modification will still need to be done to get it to fit?

Only thing I can think of to check on would be starter. I know the threads i read about guys putting the big eatons in there vehicles, the starter seemed to be a bit of an issue.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Interesting transmission...never come across one before in my searches, and research.

That still looks like a BIG transmission! I wonder how much floor, and cross member modification will still need to be done to get it to fit?

Only thing I can think of to check on would be starter. I know the threads i read about guys putting the big eatons in there vehicles, the starter seemed to be a bit of an issue.
The first (and only) time that I have come across them is in the neighbor's fire truck behind a T444E International (yes it is a worthless gutless turd).

The SAE 2 adapter plate that I have actually puts the starter on the passenger side which should work better (no clutch, brake, steering stuff in the way). I'm hoping that it will fit under the floorboard with just tranny hump modifications as it is much narrower than a twin countershaft tranny.

I'm sure that I will have to build a whole new cross member but that is the easy part. Trying to work with the thin floorboard sheet metal is where I struggle.

It should be the best of both worlds having super low and high gears with not too big of gaps. I'm just surprised that I can't find anyone else who has used one.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
The first (and only) time that I have come across them is in the neighbor's fire truck behind a T444E International (yes it is a worthless gutless turd).

The SAE 2 adapter plate that I have actually puts the starter on the passenger side which should work better (no clutch, brake, steering stuff in the way). I'm hoping that it will fit under the floorboard with just tranny hump modifications as it is much narrower than a twin countershaft tranny.

I'm sure that I will have to build a whole new cross member but that is the easy part. Trying to work with the thin floorboard sheet metal is where I struggle.

It should be the best of both worlds having super low and high gears with not too big of gaps. I'm just surprised that I can't find anyone else who has used one.
member "norway_cummins" over on CF.com is putting an eaton behind his 12v in an old studebaker truck. was the first time I had seen one and then did a little research on them. they are massive, but I wasn't sure what you were building.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

This is a picture I found a while ago of an RTO6610 in a 1st gen. This is using an SAE#2 bellhousing. Unless you can shove the engine forward, it takes some surgery to get a #2 housing into most pick-ups.

The "baby" roadrangers, 6610, 6609, & 8609 are about 6 inches shorter and 100 lbs lighter. But the 6610 is the only one that came from the factory with OD, and it's only .80, vs. the ESO66 .74, which is much more useful.

When in doubt, go for it!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Trying to work with the thin floorboard sheet metal is where I struggle.
It is a PITA,make lots of spot welds and move around a lot. It took me a couple days to get mine done.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Me personally, I have wanted to run a big twin shaft Eaton RTO tranny, but the cost, fab work and basic work required really does not make it a desirable option to me. I have considered all kind so of options, but ultimately I would go with a Gearvendors OD unit off the back of my NV4500.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
It is a PITA,make lots of spot welds and move around a lot. It took me a couple days to get mine done.
You guys don't know what fun is. Some of us date back to the gas torch days.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
me too
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Well maybe that is what my problem is. I still oxy-fuel most thin stuff because I have better luck with it than SMAW. Are you saying that I need to add a small MIG welder to the arsenal?

Originally Posted by Alec

This is a picture I found a while ago of an RTO6610 in a 1st gen. This is using an SAE#2 bellhousing. Unless you can shove the engine forward, it takes some surgery to get a #2 housing into most pick-ups.

The "baby" roadrangers, 6610, 6609, & 8609 are about 6 inches shorter and 100 lbs lighter. But the 6610 is the only one that came from the factory with OD, and it's only .80, vs. the ESO66 .74, which is much more useful.

When in doubt, go for it!
Yup, definitely going to be doing some firewall modification. I am hoping most of the floorboard will work as the Spicer seems a little narrower due to it not being a top loader.

But it is certainly a little taller and plenty long.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 346 Likes on 285 Posts
6BT SAE 2 bellhousings can have the starter in a few different places... left, right, high, low. Just a matter of finding the one that works for what you're doing.

Quick Reply: Spicer/Tremec ESO66 6+1