1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates

If I lived where below zero temperatures were common, I wouldn't even be asking this. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest in a temperate marine climate, would it be wise/acceptable to go with a big single battery like one of the following? Most years I'll see a few nights in the teens, but most wintertime overnight lows are in the 30's and 40's in a normal year.

Napa Group 31P with 1,260 CA @32 deg, 1,125CCA @ 0 deg, 195 min reserve
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...235_0399063367
$148.10 (Seems best bang for buck.)

Duralast 65-DLG with 1,000 CA, 850 CCA, 150 min reserve
Duralast Gold/Battery 65-DLG at AutoZone.com - 14 reviews
$137.99 (Almost as expensive as Napa, with much less CA/CCA.)

Here's the Die Hard Marine AGM with 1,150 CCA and 205 min reserve
Sears.com
$309.99 (ouch!)

Right now, there are two Red Top Optimas in there that are just about toast. I like the Gel/AGM batteries for the non-offgassing, lack of corrosion factor, but I don't see any with lots of capacity in a single. Having to buy only one battery would be nice. I've also heard from several different sources that Optima quality has taken a dump over the last several years. Right now, I'm leaning toward that Napa Commercial battery listed above. The Die Hard one is nice, but do I need it?

The truck doesn't have a winch or any significant auxiliary lighting, and it isn't driven a lot if that makes a difference. There's a custom tray/hold down in there now, but I have a single tray with fasteners (hopefully complete.)

What do others recommend?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Twelver
If I lived where below zero temperatures were common, I wouldn't even be asking this. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest in a temperate marine climate, would it be wise/acceptable to go with a big single battery like one of the following? Most years I'll see a few nights in the teens, but most wintertime overnight lows are in the 30's and 40's in a normal year.

Napa Group 31P with 1,260 CA @32 deg, 1,125CCA @ 0 deg, 195 min reserve
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...235_0399063367
$148.10 (Seems best bang for buck.)

Duralast 65-DLG with 1,000 CA, 850 CCA, 150 min reserve
Duralast Gold/Battery 65-DLG at AutoZone.com - 14 reviews
$137.99 (Almost as expensive as Napa, with much less CA/CCA.)

Here's the Die Hard Marine AGM with 1,150 CCA and 205 min reserve
Sears.com
$309.99 (ouch!)

Right now, there are two Red Top Optimas in there that are just about toast. I like the Gel/AGM batteries for the non-offgassing, lack of corrosion factor, but I don't see any with lots of capacity in a single. Having to buy only one battery would be nice. I've also heard from several different sources that Optima quality has taken a dump over the last several years. Right now, I'm leaning toward that Napa Commercial battery listed above. The Die Hard one is nice, but do I need it?

The truck doesn't have a winch or any significant auxiliary lighting, and it isn't driven a lot if that makes a difference. There's a custom tray/hold down in there now, but I have a single tray with fasteners (hopefully complete.)

I have that Sears battery, which is actually made by Exide as my main battery and an Optima 1000 cca blue top to run my winch and an ac inverter...Mark
Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Twelver

Below are some pictures of my duals.
I was having a really hard time finding a Group31 battery with the correct amount of CCA. While Napa listed that high capacity CCA battery when I ordered it and went to pick it up it was not the same one.
Same part # not the same battery.
I ended going the dual route with 2 less expensive batteries.
My logic being that if they died on me while I was traveling I could buy 2 batteries that would work at a gas station or Wallmart and make it work.
Good luck finding a 1000cca on the shelf at the Kum-N-Go.

Name:  DualBattery2_zps44a1750b.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  DualBattery1_zpsff075475.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  105.5 KB
Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently put a new battery in and got it off the shelf at Fisher Auto Parts.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I live where it gets really cold and must start my truck everyday to feed cows. I think the weather network said we had 40 days where the temperature was below -30 deg C last winter. Just plug the old girl in and hit the key. I use a big truck battery with the 3/8 threaded posts. Not sure of the CCA's or brand right now. I wouldn't worry too much about a second battery unless I was running a winch a lot.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
You also need to keep in mind that CCA aren't everything. When one has to cycle the glow plugs a couple of times, reverse capacity starts to come into play.

Dad, Grandpa, my uncle, and myself have never had any problems getting our first gens going with only one battery. It gets a little bit cold up here too.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I keep a spare in my truck just in case. Not sure where I could mount it inside the cab, these are Exide Batteries from TSC and are rather large.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike-e, I clicked on one of your pictures to try to make it bigger to read the CCA and it took me to the rest of your photos. I hadn't noticed you're from SF but saw a picture of the street and thought, dang that looks like SF ... well it makes sense now. what part? and also what CCA are those two batteries?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM

High CCA batteries are generally short lived. More plates to get the CCA are thinner in order to get them in the same box.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I work at a Hyundai dealership so when the battery died in my truck I got a takeout battery (tested bad on our tester but still started the truck) from a Genesis sedan. It's a huge battery but only rated at 740 CCA. The terminals are reversed so it took a little "engineering" but not much to get it in there. Thing has been in there for over a year without a hiccup and even tests good now.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Fleet and farm stores usually carry truck and tractor batteries that are darn good and not real expensive. I have a Fleet Farm (RoadRunner) 31A24 1000 CCA battery in each of my trucks. They seem to hold up pretty good, and even recover well from accidental deep discharge. They're big and a full recovery takes days, but they get there.

As I said before, a desulfating charger, like the BatteryMinder, helps a whole heap.

Our trucks tend to take pretty good care of the battery. The battery is most likely to suffer deterioration when it's partially discharged and getting bumped around. This big alternator with little load on it usually roughs the recharge within a few minutes after a start.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 AM

I've been using Costco batteries since the OE was replaced after 8 years.
They have probably the best warranty. Full refund up to the first 36 months. Optimas took a dive.
Don't get taken in by who makes the battery ( or any other product) either. Each will be different based on whos name is on the package since they're all built to a different spec. I work for an O.E. tier 1 manufacturer. We supply the automaker production lines and also build aftermarket under different labels. If your name is on it, it's built to your spec. I wish Dodge sold OE batteries. I"d jump on it just to get one that lasted more than 3 years. My car battery died after 8 years and I replaced it with an OE just a few weeks back.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 AM

I know mine always took a beating from the grid heaters until I upgraded to the 320 amp alternator. Grid heaters can come on all they want now. The volt meter and lights don't even flinch at idle. The engine really kicks though.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used dual batteries in my RV to keep from running down the vehicle's primary battery. But wouldn't brother with having two batteries if it wasn't needed.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mick-e
Below are some pictures of my duals.
Those 2 original cables look like they passed the usable life about 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: Single or Dual Batteries in Mild Climates