1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Shock recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock recommendation?

I've spent days researching this, and am still lost. I'm playing with the spring packs on my 92 W250, trying to soften the ride a little bit. While I'm there, I need new shocks. What pairs well with the factory springs, to soften the ride a little? I know there is no miracle fix, but don't want to make things worse with the wrong shocks...

92 W250 club cab, 5.9 & Getrag
90% street driven work truck, but it's no stranger to playing in the woods, or towing a trailer.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
IMO the skyjacker M95 monotube shocks are the best. they are massive and the only thing i've seen that will dampen the load of our heavy front end.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am also running a Skyjacker shock. I can get the model number when I get home tonight.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the tip guys! I did some reading on the M95s last night, and they seem to get good reviews. I had read previously that monotube shocks would ride stiffer than the old style oil/foam shock, but I might have been miss-informed. Those Skyjackers do sound like the ticket.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I ran the bilstein 5100 model on my heap.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sdseva
How did you like them?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Me too.

I find them stiff, but controlled.

Originally Posted by sdseva
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like them.. can give any comparison because its all ive ever used.. but I think theyre good!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I'll show my ignorance here...

There was a thread a while back on this. Seems like the discussion focused on our trucks needing the old fashioned style shock they were designed for and not these newer kinds? It got rather extensive and detailed but I forget the conclusion.

But again, I'm fairly ignorant on the subject. I'll search and see if I can find the one I'm thinking of.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I'll show my ignorance here...

There was a thread a while back on this. Seems like the discussion focused on our trucks needing the old fashioned style shock they were designed for and not these newer kinds? It got rather extensive and detailed but I forget the conclusion.

But again, I'm fairly ignorant on the subject. I'll search and see if I can find the one I'm thinking of.
to put this as eloquently as possible, because i tend to hurt feelings around here, this idea is false.

some folks have the idea that because our trucks were engineered in the stone age, that any modern advances in parts, such as shocks, should be scoffed at. I've run Rancho nitro twin tube, Skyjacker hydro twin tube, monroe hydro twin tube, and skyjacker M95 monotube shocks. the M95 is the only one i'll run from now on and the only one i recommend from my experience.

to the OP, i know you were looking for a "softer" shock with the idea that it will "soften" your ride. this is quite the opposite. you need a firm shock to dampen the harshness of the heavy front end/leaf spring combo.

the only other shock i've heard positives on is the Bilstein 5100. I trust they're good based on Ofelas' recommendation, as well as others. I think this is probably the most common upgraded shock run in these trucks.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
to the OP, i know you were looking for a "softer" shock with the idea that it will "soften" your ride. this is quite the opposite. you need a firm shock to dampen the harshness of the heavy front end/leaf spring combo.
I was merely basing that off of my experience with building my Dart. When it still had the tired stock suspension, I put stiff monotube shocks on it which improved the ride dramatically. A short time later when I upgraded the springs/torsion bars, it rattled my teeth out - until I replaced those shocks with something 'softer.'

I understand new technology comes out for a reason, so I'm not afraid of upgrading from stock. I was just less than impressed with the ride of Bilsteins on my brother's 98.5, so was leary of using them on my first gen.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Banned

I run Skyjacker too
Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 PM

What are the part numbers for the M95 and the Bilstiens for a W250 with a 2" leveled front lift?

What is the eye bolt diameter on a 92 W250 front shock? I read 11/16" but I have not pulled one to measure it.

My springs are approx. 3" from the bump stops. Rear (on front spring) shackle is up against the frame. I am looking at having Alcan make a set of springs but want to try shocks all the way around first. The shocks on it now were installed in 1994 and they are skyjacker softride. The front springs are skyjacker softride with the height leveler (I think 2" - been awhile).
Old 10-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullelkklr
What are the part numbers for the M95 and the Bilstiens for a W250 with a 2" leveled front lift?

What is the eye bolt diameter on a 92 W250 front shock? I read 11/16" but I have not pulled one to measure it.

My springs are approx. 3" from the bump stops. Rear (on front spring) shackle is up against the frame. I am looking at having Alcan make a set of springs but want to try shocks all the way around first. The shocks on it now were installed in 1994 and they are skyjacker softride. The front springs are skyjacker softride with the height leveler (I think 2" - been awhile).

No shock will make your truck ride nice if the shackle on the front springs is resting up against the frame.
You need better front leaf springs, and/or a longer front shackle to get it off the frame so the leaf spring can flex.
The front springs have no up travel if there shackle is up against the frame. I repeat shocks will not fix the harsh ride if this is happening.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
No shock will make your truck ride nice if the shackle on the front springs is resting up against the frame.
You need better front leaf springs, and/or a longer front shackle to get it off the frame so the leaf spring can flex.
The front springs have no up travel if there shackle is up against the frame. I repeat shocks will not fix the harsh ride if this is happening.

I agree. I am talking with Alcan in Colorado about new springs. Still looking for Bilstein and M95 part numbers though. The alcan front springs were 600 and change but shipping to Alaska is 540$. Still going to go with Alcans on the front though. I have bags in the rear on stock original springs. Hoping the front doesn't come up too much.

I have also talked with a guy about new shackles and greasable 5/8" bolt assemblies - are these worth it and how hard are they to install? I have a welder and enough tools, but it will be winter when the shocks come in. Also if an exended shackle is installed should I just get stock height springs from Alcan? Kind of worried that the stock shackles will hit the frame again even with new springs. I don't work on suspension stuff much - as you can probably tell.

Quick Reply: Shock recommendation?