1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Repairing my Gear Vendors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by kensmachine
I never had a GV apart but they look just like one's in a volvo car from 1970'-at least the mid 80's had few of those apart. Take your dead part to volvo its worth a try ken

You and Bob blew this wide open, like my Rosetta Stone!
The Volvo units look to be identical except for the GV sump and adapters.
Awesome!
I am looking into getting what I need right now!

p.s. no wonder GV has been so protective. YOu can get the Volve stuff for dirt cheap!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
GV has the world wide rights now so one may not be able to get part from Volvo any more ken
Old 06-07-2015, 10:39 PM

I just found the clutch is broken in three pieces. So I need the cone clutch and the clutch...
This may not work out.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Nope. They are buggers that way.
That's crazy, I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money and not be able to get replacement part's. They must think everyone has lot's of disposable income and can just have someone else do all their repairs. I guess if you're the only game in town you can do as you please. Hope you have luck matching up Volvo parts.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.maximum--overdrive.com/products.html

This kit shows a replacement clutch

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?48,2808358

This shows someone replacing the lining.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:13 AM

I found the one way clutch (sprag) is in three pieces also.
Maximum Overdrive does indeed have the cone clutch and reseal kit, waiting for a callback on the sprag.
Other than that everything looks good...
Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 PM

its more on lines that GV thinks we are not capable to rebuild them to the standards that think is needed ken
Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 AM

any update
Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 PM

GV has stopped a good answering my emails. I can get a cone clutch and reseal kit elsewhere, but the spray is proprietary and they have shut me out, at least so far. Scouring the earth looking for a used parts GV...
I am very disappoint with GV's support.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
GV has stopped a good answering my emails. I can get a cone clutch and reseal kit elsewhere, but the spray is proprietary and they have shut me out, at least so far. Scouring the earth looking for a used parts GV...
My dad had the same problem with GV support.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found this
" Gear vendor overdrive

Hi everone im new here,and the reason im posting is, Ive been reading the post on this topic, I have lots of new and used parts for GEAR VENDOR UNITS.Im not afiliated in any way with GEAR VENDORS. Here is a little history on the Laycock overedrive,Laycock is long gone,they went out of bussiness years ago,A company named GKN bought the name[laycock and all parts and equipment] and built overdrives 30+ years.But july 08 they also gave up building overdrives and sold all the rights to GEAR VENDOR.GEAR VENDOR for the past 25 years bought all the overdrives from GKN. So now parts
are hard to come by. If any one needs parts or electronincs kits i have them
email me at gpyzak@ix.netcom.com "

In this tread
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-248462/page2/
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You have just won the under statement of the week award!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My GV overdrive grenade. It looks like what happened was that the sun gear disintegrated and parts of it got jammed here and there and destroyed the rest of the internal parts. Mine was a J-type, divorced type that mounted in place of the centre hanger bearing.

GV told me that they have not serviced the J-type for a long time, but they would sell me a new P-type.

I have a Volvo J-type overdrive, and the internal parts look the same, but the dimensions are just different enough that the Volvo internals won't fit the GV case.

However the front cover of the GV case will fit the Volvo case, so it would be possible to use the Volvo unit complete. The complication is that the GV input shaft doesn't match the Volvo internals, and the Volvo input shaft (which is also the transmission output shaft) won't fit the GV front cover. This all happened a couple of years ago and I don't have the parts in front of me, but from memory, I think what I would have had to do was turn down the Volvo input shaft to fit the bearing in the GV front cover and spline and thread the shaft to take the GV input yoke. I would also have had to have a new rear driveshaft made (different yoke and different length).

I don't know how this applies to a transmission-mounted GV overdrive (which would have a different front cover) or how it applies to the later-model P-type overdrive. The later GV units are P-type, and later Volvos also used a P-type but I don't know anything about mixing and matching P-type components.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Sorry to hijack but how do you guys deal with the vibes when going in and out of OD with a divorced GV? The yokes must be out of phase at times ...

I have to get out and reset the yokes in phase often enough on my divorced NP205 after going in 4x4 or 4x2 low.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Update:
I reverse engineered the sprag (glued the pieces together) and sent RFQ's out to a whole bunch of machine shops here in the US and in (forgive me) China.
The only person that went out of their way to work with me is a Chinese company. In fact, they said they would make my part out of (very expensive) Cr4Mo4V, 10 day turn around, to my door shipping included for $263 bucks (PayPal even).
Even if my arm twisting at GV would have gotten them to sell me a sprag, it would have been more than that and not made of this quality of steel.

Name:  Sprag01a_zpszdgjml80.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  66.8 KB

Quick Reply: Repairing my Gear Vendors