1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

RamCharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Cool.
Like I said when we spoke on the phone, mounting the 4 BT will have a few problems to deal with.
I knew that power steering / vac. pump would be a hurdle to pass as it will be fighting the motor mounts for the same space.
When I was looking into doing a 4 BT swap on a '80 Pop- Top RC I was looking at the electric vac. pumps.
Glad to hear you can re-use the T-case, as I was not 100% sure.
Give me a ring if you want to discuss the build, or you want to grab one of my A-518 transmissions and maybe a diesel core support.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
Wife wants me to get started on the new house so I'll see what time I have left at night to try and get the RC back in shape. I might run the 318 for a bit until I can source parts.
Solid idea. Nice to have a parts runner till you get all the things needed for the core of the swap. I feel you with the house thing. I'm counting down (less than 2 years) till I start mine. Gotta get my crew done before, because I know after is out of the question. Overtime, here I come.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Cool.
Like I said when we spoke on the phone, mounting the 4 BT will have a few problems to deal with.
I knew that power steering / vac. pump would be a hurdle to pass as it will be fighting the motor mounts for the same space.
When I was looking into doing a 4 BT swap on a '80 Pop- Top RC I was looking at the electric vac. pumps.
Glad to hear you can re-use the T-case, as I was not 100% sure.
Give me a ring if you want to discuss the build, or you want to grab one of my A-518 transmissions and maybe a diesel core support.
I'll have to give you a call, For now I just need the adapter plater, the A518 and I think that is it. I have the 4bt engine (rebuilding the pump now). Should have that fired up. -2F Here, so much for warm winter.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I found much of all the information I need to start the build. I just need a A518 diesel transmission. Should bolt right to the t-case.

As far as vac, I found a few options (both are expensive) one being on the power steering pump and the other being electronic. Don't like electronics much so I'm leaning towards the PS gear driven pump/vac($600).

Been on tabcoparts.com and getting ready to order some body panels. I used them in my w250 rebuild and all of the panels are made here.

Wife wants me to get started on the new house so I'll see what time I have left at night to try and get the RC back in shape. I might run the 318 for a bit until I can source parts.
Just convert the braking to Hydroboost...then you just need a small electric vacuum pump to power the Heater/AC box.

I hear ya about working on the house...I work for 6-9months on my vehicles...then crank out a bunch of reno's on the house to keep the better half happy. I just finished reno's on one bathroom...and am working on the second as we speak.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Just convert the braking to Hydroboost...then you just need a small electric vacuum pump to power the Heater/AC box.

I hear ya about working on the house...I work for 6-9months on my vehicles...then crank out a bunch of reno's on the house to keep the better half happy. I just finished reno's on one bathroom...and am working on the second as we speak.
I was looking at that setup, ebay has some for $300 used. Hoping this weekend I'll have the seats out and the carpet. Does the headliner glue to the metal? Previous guy had it restored and it looks like they spray glued it.

I'll have to get pictures because it's trippy looking (zebra stripes?)

Also, does anyone have a tailgate key? Or know how I can get a key made for the push button for the tailgate?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I was looking at that setup, ebay has some for $300 used.
Also, does anyone have a tailgate key? Or know how I can get a key made for the push button for the tailgate?
Something to consider, if you convert to Hydraboost, the Vacuum pump for a Furd 6.0 is a good choice to run the rest, just a tick over 50 bucks.

Robot Check Robot Check

You would have to get a male side connector, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Is your tailgate locked? Mine had a nasty habit of loosening up every so often and not opening even when unlocked. You have to take off the inside panel and do it that way if so.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Something to consider, if you convert to Hydraboost, the Vacuum pump for a Furd 6.0 is a good choice to run the rest, just a tick over 50 bucks.

Robot Check

You would have to get a male side connector, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Is your tailgate locked? Mine had a nasty habit of loosening up every so often and not opening even when unlocked. You have to take off the inside panel and do it that way if so.
Found a key and lock on ebay, all set. Thanks for the vac.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I was looking at that setup, ebay has some for $300 used.
Wow that is a bit steep. Hit the wreckers and get one from a pre 95 astrovan. Then you just need some lines. Shouldn't be into it for more then 250 all said and done.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Wow that is a bit steep. Hit the wreckers and get one from a pre 95 astrovan. Then you just need some lines. Shouldn't be into it for more then 250 all said and done.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:42 AM

Question for the tire guru. I called tirerack.com today and I was looking at some new tires for the RC. The ones on there are different in tread type. The standard size I have on the rig now is 31x10.5r15. The tires I'm looking at are 235/75-15.. after a long talk with the gal at tirerack she said the 235 will not fit. I did some digging online and it looks like people go from the 235/75-15 to larger 31x10.5r15 and even 33. I'm trying to keep weight down and don't need the large tires. Will the 235/75-15 work?

They have a heck of a deal right now on their good year wranglers.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Question for the tire guru. I called tirerack.com today and I was looking at some new tires for the RC. The ones on there are different in tread type. The standard size I have on the rig now is 31x10.5r15. The tires I'm looking at are 235/75-15.. after a long talk with the gal at tirerack she said the 235 will not fit. I did some digging online and it looks like people go from the 235/75-15 to larger 31x10.5r15 and even 33. I'm trying to keep weight down and don't need the large tires. Will the 235/75-15 work?

Um, yes? I have no idea what in the heck she was talking about, but 235/75/15 was stock from Ma Chrysler...............

I just saw that, 74 bucks each is a screaming deal........
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,572 Posts
I have run 33X12.5R15 on several Ramchargers over the years.
Sometimes there is a little rub in the back of the front wheel well when turning off the road into a driveway and you hit a pot hole at the same time.
I also ran a set of BFG 32X11.5xR15 on a '78 W150 Power Wagon years a go with no rubbing.
I mounted them on the stock "Turbine" wheels that Dodge had. They are the ones that look like the rims on the General Lee.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a common problem at several big named tire stores. If their computer doesn't list it as stock, then 'it won't work'. Even had heard of people stating they were refused purchase of tires because the stores would not sell the tires to them because computer said not a stock size. I usually hit up a local mom and pops or CO-OP for my deals.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by flyboy129
This is a common problem at several big named tire stores. If their computer doesn't list it as stock, then 'it won't work'. Even had heard of people stating they were refused purchase of tires because the stores would not sell the tires to them because computer said not a stock size. I usually hit up a local mom and pops or CO-OP for my deals.
The curious thing about this one is Tire Racks own computer says 235-75-15 is the stock size......... So if she was a computer drone, she would have been happy to sell him those.

I think someone was hitting the happy pipe before she answered the phone.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
speaking of tires, this is a handy tool for tire size selection
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Quick Reply: RamCharger