1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

RamCharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
RamCharger

Well, I picked up a decent RC. I'll have to get some pictures up when I get back today. I have a 4bt sitting in the barn from a bread truck.. anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

318 Runs like a top though
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
Well, I picked up a decent RC. I'll have to get some pictures up when I get back today. I have a 4bt sitting in the barn from a bread truck.. anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

You'll die of old age waiting for that 318 to chit the bit.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Needs floor pans/rockers but the rest is in great shape.

My plan is to fully restore it and sell it. The 318 gets about 15mpg which is pretty bad. It might be lower than that. Anyone know or have more information about RC's? Axles? It's a 4x4 with an auto in it.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Old 12-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That is WAY to much trouble to tackle!!! When do you want me to come drag it off for you???

NICE!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

That's almost a clone of my old one......... I wish you the best. My OCD nature meant I had to make it look exactly like Dodge had built it, and I searched high and low for almost 3 years for a blown up, rusted out,broke in 2, whatever donor, never did find one for less than 3 grand.

I finally gave up the search and sold the Ramcharger. The 4BT Ramcharger is probably the perfect playtoy.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
That's almost a clone of my old one......... I wish you the best. My OCD nature meant I had to make it look exactly like Dodge had built it, and I searched high and low for almost 3 years for a blown up, rusted out,broke in 2, whatever donor, never did find one for less than 3 grand.

I finally gave up the search and sold the Ramcharger. The 4BT Ramcharger is probably the perfect playtoy.
If I remember right you had a spotlight on the drivers a-piller though Pat.

Nice looking RC to build. Having the 4 BT on hand makes thing a lot easier and cheaper!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I have to admit that ghost screams Lone Wolf McQuade. I would throw two long antenna's on that bad boy and call it a day! Keep us update with pics

Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 AM

Below is the list of things I need for the swap;

Dodge Diesel wiring harness (Although the stock will work fine, I'll just tie back what I don't need)
Sub Panel for grid heaters (Have a old ford glow plug I could use)
Intercooler (not sure how I'll go about mounting)
Custom A/C mount and Alternator mount.

Anyone know how heavy the 318 is? I just want to keep the weight within the dana 44 spec. Not going to be putting 33's on it but keeping it stock. I'm thinking the transfer case (4x4) and the tranny should handle the 4bt. I'll have to see what the models are of both. Has to be someone out there that has put a 4bt in a 90-93 RC. A lot of 70,80s that have been converted.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
sweet!!!! id ballpark the 318 out of my '74 at 550 with accessories, I pulled a dressed 350 from my jeep, and replaced the dressed 4bt, feeling another 300 lbs maybe? im doing a 6bt in my rc, haven't yet mounted the motor, im hearing frames haven't changed, and its direct bolt-in with 1st gen mounts. bolt holes in both blocks look similar. I did a blazer 4bt, with a nice universal mount from advanced adapters that's very adjustable. front spring packs on my jeep were upgraded for lift, and needed no further attention, I built heavier packs for my rc, with 4" lift, and d60/d70 axles, the front core support, I might use, from another '92 I/c, looks close to the '74, and will hang the diesel radiator and whatever cooler I mod in, my interest is to fit everything with a '72 grill. not sure about the gasser trans, but consider the 4bt has big block torque, and pulls hard.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
also adding the alternators from the bread vans, had 150 amp gm internal regulated alternators, lots of interchange info and parts, on 4bt swaps site.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:50 AM

I was thinking the 4bt would just mount up, I guess the 518 in a gasser is not the same in a diesel. I'm going to have to start sourcing parts to get the project together. It would be nice to find a junked W250 then it would just be a matter of swapping the drivetrain and axles. That might be the best way to convert the RC into a 4bt.

I'm not sure what makes the 518 in a gas truck different than that of a diesel. In theory you would just need an adapter plater for the 4bt to mate with the 518 tranny in the RC. I might be totally wrong on the above but this is what I've been reading from different forums.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I was thinking the 4bt would just mount up, I guess the 518 in a gasser is not the same in a diesel. I'm going to have to start sourcing parts to get the project together. It would be nice to find a junked W250 then it would just be a matter of swapping the drivetrain and axles. That might be the best way to convert the RC into a 4bt.

I'm not sure what makes the 518 in a gas truck different than that of a diesel. In theory you would just need an adapter plater for the 4bt to mate with the 518 tranny in the RC. I might be totally wrong on the above but this is what I've been reading from different forums.
TQ ratio and stall speed, shift points, and the strength of some key parts.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That and the mounting pattern. I'm sure there are adapters that are out there, but then again, a stock 1st gen adapter will mount to a 518 found behind the 5.9s and will bolt to the back of the 3.9s.

I'd say the 4bt will do okay on the 44, however, I'd definitely worry about a 6bt on those poor balljoints. I see you have wandered onto RCC. They have given you good advice on j-10s RC thread. Might shoot him a PM and chat it up.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 AM

I found much of all the information I need to start the build. I just need a A518 diesel transmission. Should bolt right to the t-case.

As far as vac, I found a few options (both are expensive) one being on the power steering pump and the other being electronic. Don't like electronics much so I'm leaning towards the PS gear driven pump/vac($600).

Been on tabcoparts.com and getting ready to order some body panels. I used them in my w250 rebuild and all of the panels are made here.

Wife wants me to get started on the new house so I'll see what time I have left at night to try and get the RC back in shape. I might run the 318 for a bit until I can source parts.

Quick Reply: RamCharger