1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

quieting my cab today

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
quieting my cab today

So,

I have always thought the Dodge cummins was a bit loud. Looking at many options, cab insulation, hood, etc. Well, source control @oil pan seemed to be the ticket for me. I used 2x4 piece of 2 lb/ft sq lead, and some expired prf-1770 aerospace adhesive. Thin coat and held the bottom in place w foam, board,and floor jack. Then worked the edges.
good to do a paper template.
front of the pan, same treatment. All cut from that one piece. Did NOT Get 100% coverage, But 80-90. Huge difference. It is tolerable to put my ear in the front well well now. Probably 10 dB reduction is what the net ssys.

M
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Picture???
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
How are you going to prevent moisture from getting between this coating you used, and the oil pan itself ?

I like the idea of being able to quiet these motors down, but if you prevent access to the surface metal of the pan, how can you keep the pan from rusting. out ?

Not dissing your project, just curious as to how youre going to prevent the pan from rotting out.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:43 AM

good question.

The Lead Was COMPLETELY BUTTERED With adhesive. I went back after the initial cure and fillet sealed the edges.
proseal is amazing stuff, messy but from experience w aluminum aircraft it is very effective.
I should go back and clean, prime and paint the outside lead.
I'm not in the rust belt here in texas.

If you want to go hog wild. Remove the pan and do it on the bench.
M
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam4
good question.

The Lead Was COMPLETELY BUTTERED With adhesive. I went back after the initial cure and fillet sealed the edges.
proseal is amazing stuff, messy but from experience w aluminum aircraft it is very effective.
I should go back and clean, prime and paint the outside lead.
I'm not in the rust belt here in texas.

If you want to go hog wild. Remove the pan and do it on the bench.
M
All you had to say was..... " I live in Texas" and I would have got it...
Old 05-18-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had people tell me mine needs quieting. Haven't done anything to it because I can JUST barely hear the turbo. I guess being around jets and guns all my life has some advantages! Glad it worked for you.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Did you say you are using lead?

Like in pb?

Never thought of using it to silence.

I dismantled an x-rax exam room and took about a ton of it out to the trash never thought to keep it for my truck but I was going to put it around my front door to make it harder to breach.

Not only will it make your engine quieter but it will keep Superman from snooping into your engine.

Jim
Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Lead in the trash?

Not only is that a waste of money but probably illegal. Take that lead to the scrap yard and get some $$$!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Trash = big pile by genset next to the biohazard barrels.

I am sure somebody made money on it,

I just put it where the hospital engineer said to put it, everything was usually gone by morning,

I would bet it was in mexico by evening.

I have always had a lot perks with my jobs but I have to know where to stop with things I don't really need.

Like I don't really need old x-rax machines but HV power supplies and 3-phase transformers are useful.

Yes I am aware of the dangers of working around sheet lead but the lead paint was probably more eminent.

Scrap anything around here is like gold, I have had stuff stolen right out of my driveway, I have to have everything locked down so it doesn't walk off.

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM

"Did you say you are using lead?

Like in pb?
"

Yes Jim,

Lead is a very effective dampener. Especially for the low frequency stuff like <500 hz which I believe much of this diesel stuff is. Most ppl are familar with mass-loaded vinyl. Then you can do de-coupled or coupled(glued to the metal) or seperated by foam(decoupled).
Anyway, adding weight requires more energy for the membrane(metal) to vibrate and transmit. Got a rubber layer(adhesive) plus lead which both have dampening.

Anyway, lead is easy to work with (just don't eat it and wash your hands). The adhesive 100% prevents moisture to get between the lead and oil pan. So, there is the kicker, you need to work on forming to fit the pan the best possible.
For the rust belters, they could paint the outside of the lead after everything is cured. Maybe a good coat of epoxy.

A few GEN II guys do this as their cabs are louder than ours.

May do add some to the hood and doors , and rear cab panel. I've got a 4X8 sheet still. Not racing my truck- so I'm not worried about a little extra weight.

Michael
Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Keep the scrap pieces to melt for AMMO
Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Keep the scrap pieces to melt for AMMO
ummmm , don't smelt down the lead stuff used around X-ray equip-- not a good idea. seriously.
well, unless you are loading for the alien invasion that some think is iminent, because we all know you have to shoot them with radioactive bullets-- right???
Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Not only is that a waste of money but probably illegal. Take that lead to the scrap yard and get some $$$!
How could that be illegal? and who would know. **** overbearing government!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by crossy
ummmm , don't smelt down the lead stuff used around X-ray equip-- not a good idea. seriously.
well, unless you are loading for the alien invasion that some think is iminent, because we all know you have to shoot them with radioactive bullets-- right???
I think they are already here. They hangout at a certain Walmart not far from here. Just the one though the rest are normal.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by crossy
Disposal concerns about X-ray shield lead have to do with the lead, not radioactivity. One recommend disposal path is recycling.

Bullets seem to me to be a most noble recycling path.