1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A question for the alpha welders out there!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Curious to know if your turning it in due to the VW " We got caught" blunder/recall. I keep telling my wife, blunder or not, I would have still kept mine if I owned one of those ones that fell under the recall. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm sure there are some aftermarket computer boxes out there that would de tune it to correctly pass smog, then I'd put it back to the finagled high output setting that VW had it at before they got caught. I've always wanted a diesel VW, for my Bay Area commute. Awesome vehicles.
It's pretty simple, they are giving me north of 27k for a 3 year old car that has some really expensive parts to fail. Also, it doesn't really serve me well because the hound takes up the whole rear area, with the back seats down and there is no room for luggage. I bought it on a lark, didn't really need it and I consider it lucky that I am going to recoup all but a couple thousand of what I spent. They already gave me $1000 dollars of "were're sorry" money. The last thing is that I don't like to be lied to and they could have made the cars compliant for around 350 bucks per unit, that is greed on a monumental scale. My first car was a '64 Beetle, so it is kind of sad. All that said, it is an awesome motor, quick and peppy, you can drive it like you stole it and still get north of 40 mpg. I am thinking about a more "van" type vehicle, like the Ford that the American pickers drive (I can't remember the model). I am in no hurry, I still have 4 vehicles and a motorcycle...Mark P.S. I am looking at the Audi Q5 with the 3 liter, but we'll see P.P.S. I could not have scheduled the buyback any better, the tags are due by end of April and the warranty expires on the 11th, I won't miss it too much...Sorry for so many PS's, but there is also some doubt that they are even going to be able to fix the gen 1 cars and, even if they do, there is going to have to be a hack job (imho) in order to install the equipment that it doesn't have: DEF tank, urea injection system, all the necessary plumbing, including the fill neck. There just isn't enough room. I could drive the car until they say that it can or can't be fixed, but that is risky, I could wreck it or blow a turbo or IP, all of which would be very expensive to fix...
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Thanks for the info Mark. I was just laying in my Jacuzzi tub down here in Mexico and I think that the hot water stimulated blood flow to my crusty old brain. I had an epiphany, there are many old wrecking yards down here with many old Dodges. I even bought the hood ornament off of an old Ram Charger, that was surrounded by other Ram Chargers. Soooooo, I think that I'ma gonna' go junkin' . I have to turn my VW in, on April 1st so I have some time to track some down. Heck, If I find enough of them, I may make these not so rare. Mark, I have a high quality brake line flaring kit, do you think that an o-ring setup could just be double flared? Thanks a million guys ...Mark
If I don't see photos from that boneyard, I'm gonna be extremely disappointed.

Not like that's anything new.......
mknittle (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
My Sister in law's sister has one of the recalled vw's. They LOVE IT.

they were looking at the offers to "repair" the issue, or take their money back. They really just want to keep the car, but I think it's going back to vw. The biggest issue is that the emissions, when fixed properly, will significantly reduce the fuel mileage that they're currently getting, which is in the 40 mpg range. Whether or not VW lied to anyone or not is not the thing that most of the folks I've spoken with up here are worried about. It's more the 1/3 loss in fuel economy, which is why they're being turned in.

Really silly, if you ask me, all the emission control problems these companies have to deal with and the inherent loss of fuel mileage associated with these contraptions installed in them. The gubberment says we want less emissions released, but as a trade off you have to buy a whole lot more fuel to keep them on the roads, as they're not going to run as good as without them. This makes the fuel companies happy, I'm sure, tax revenue is higher, and the little guy has less money in his pocket. Win, win, lose..

My fuso has no real emissions stuff on it, as it was the last year produced before class 8 trucks were required to do so. It runs great. It gets 10-12 mpg for a 14k box truck. It has almost no smell to the exhaust unless it's just started on a cold day until it warms up, then again. No smell. It never ever smokes, even on startup during cold weather.

I know it's not all "smell", but this thing runs magnificent. I know guys who have the 08 and up of the same exact truck. They can't get over 8 mpg, and they're always in "regen" mode, which means they're pulled over on the side of the road burning fuel to clean out their converters / filters. I am so grateful that I didn't take the newer model that was on the lot when I bought this one...
oliver foster (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
My Sister in law's sister has one of the recalled vw's. They LOVE IT.

they were looking at the offers to "repair" the issue, or take their money back. They really just want to keep the car, but I think it's going back to vw. The biggest issue is that the emissions, when fixed properly, will significantly reduce the fuel mileage that they're currently getting, which is in the 40 mpg range. Whether or not VW lied to anyone or not is not the thing that most of the folks I've spoken with up here are worried about. It's more the 1/3 loss in fuel economy, which is why they're being turned in.

Really silly, if you ask me, all the emission control problems these companies have to deal with and the inherent loss of fuel mileage associated with these contraptions installed in them. The gubberment says we want less emissions released, but as a trade off you have to buy a whole lot more fuel to keep them on the roads, as they're not going to run as good as without them. This makes the fuel companies happy, I'm sure, tax revenue is higher, and the little guy has less money in his pocket. Win, win, lose..

My fuso has no real emissions stuff on it, as it was the last year produced before class 8 trucks were required to do so. It runs great. It gets 10-12 mpg for a 14k box truck. It has almost no smell to the exhaust unless it's just started on a cold day until it warms up, then again. No smell. It never ever smokes, even on startup during cold weather.

I know it's not all "smell", but this thing runs magnificent. I know guys who have the 08 and up of the same exact truck. They can't get over 8 mpg, and they're always in "regen" mode, which means they're pulled over on the side of the road burning fuel to clean out their converters / filters. I am so grateful that I didn't take the newer model that was on the lot when I bought this one...
Hi T, it all depends on which car they have. There are 3 generations of 2L TDI's plus the 3L ones. They have already began applying a software fix for the gen3's and the folks are actually reporting better gas mileage. The only change is that it will use a lot more DEF and the tank will have to be filled more often, not too bad. The gen2's I believe require some hardware (I am not sure about this) but they already have the def, urea injection and the rest, but I think it is not big enough, again not sure about this. The gen1's. like mine are LNT cars and have none of the above equipment. I talked about the Beetle above, but I am not sure how much room there is in the Jettas, golfs and the rest.

Your in'laws can wait for the fix, get the fix, get the compensation, around 6 grand and a lifetime warranty on the work, not too bad. I like the car, but it is like I said above. Bosch is also going to pay me another 350 bucks, because they made the cheat software. They initially said that they told VW that the software is for testing only, but they sold them 11 million copies!!! Yikes, talk about a smoking gun. VW got away with it for 6 years (09-15) and got caught by a college class at the University of West Virginia. Like I said earlier, they cheated for 350 bucks a car, they deserve to have their PP's whacked and they did, over 29 Billion dollars, not counting loss of stock value. Don't feel sorry for them because the week that the story broke, they had just overtaken Toyota as the biggest, they slumped, but in January, they overtook them again. The last thing is, if the fix is so easy for the gen 2's & 3's, why didn't they just do it in the first place?...Mark
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
So did you just cut enough to get rid of the "rib" for lack of a better word?...Mark
I used a pressure line for the 91.5 style pump and shortened, bent, and flared the line with the correct style nut. That size steel is not easy to work with FYI
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Seems to me changing the flow control valve is easier and faster. and get the hose that fits from a w100-300. It took me about 5 minutes to change the valve and half of that was cleaning the back of the pump reservoir just un screw the old one and screw the new/used one in. pump stays on the truck.
Attached Thumbnails A question for the alpha welders out there!-flow-control.jpg   A question for the alpha welders out there!-hose.jpg  
maybe368 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mknittle
Seems to me changing the flow control valve is easier and faster. and get the hose that fits from a w100-300. It took me about 5 minutes to change the valve and half of that was cleaning the back of the pump reservoir just un screw the old one and screw the new/used one in. pump stays on the truck.
Thanks Mark. that does sound easy. Summit racing has them: https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ntrol-fittings. Do you happen to know the specs on the replacement?...Mark
Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Curious to know if your turning it in due to the VW " We got caught" blunder/recall. I keep telling my wife, blunder or not, I would have still kept mine if I owned one of those ones that fell under the recall. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm sure there are some aftermarket computer boxes out there that would de tune it to correctly pass smog, then I'd put it back to the finagled high output setting that VW had it at before they got caught. I've always wanted a diesel VW, for my Bay Area commute. Awesome vehicles.
I'm pretty sure they will not spend the money to add the DEF system, so any patch fix they make will likely kill the mileage.

You won't have a choice to not have it retrofitted, so the best thing they could have done is what they did.

The sad thing is the Passats didn't have the problem, all they would have had to do is use the same emissions scheme.
maybe368 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
The biggest issue is that the emissions, when fixed properly, will significantly reduce the fuel mileage that they're currently getting, which is in the 40 mpg range.
If they did it correctly with the same DEF system they used on the Passats, both performance and mileage would not suffer. I am not sure they want to go that far though.

My sister has a '12 Passat, they get 42-45 on the Hwy. and that thing is a hoot to drive....... They are very happy that it is not under the recall, because I think it would kill my sister to lose it. She is one that gets a new car every 3 years or so, the Passat has made it 5 years and she just laughs at me whenever I inquire when I can come pick up my "new" Passat.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by patdaly
I'm pretty sure they will not spend the money to add the DEF system, so any patch fix they make will likely kill the mileage.

You won't have a choice to not have it retrofitted, so the best thing they could have done is what they did.

The sad thing is the Passats didn't have the problem, all they would have had to do is use the same emissions scheme.
I agree that the whole thing is sad. Part of the settlement says that the un-fixable cars (probably all of the first gens) cannot be sold abroad and will probably be crushed. We litigious Americans came out smelling like a rose with our settlement. In Europe, they installed a device and that was it. Canadians also did not do as well, but I don't remember the details. The thing for me is that they shot themselves in the foot, completely their fault. They then confessed to it, must have some really crumby lawyers. The problem may have been the CEO at the time, Winterkorn, was a "no bad news" kind of guy. So when the engineers could not design the 2,0's to pass the US's standards without buying a license from Mercedes Benz for their Adblue DEF system, the engineers used the "test" system. Now, how they were able to buy 11 million copies without Winterkorn knowing is probably not possible. That is probably why he resigned and his replacement then tried to walk back the confession, which obviously didn't work. Early on, they tried to blame a couple of rouge engineers, YEAH RIIIIIGHT..Mark
Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by patdaly
If they did it correctly with the same DEF system they used on the Passats, both performance and mileage would not suffer. I am not sure they want to go that far though.

My sister has a '12 Passat, they get 42-45 on the Hwy. and that thing is a hoot to drive....... They are very happy that it is not under the recall, because I think it would kill my sister to lose it. She is one that gets a new car every 3 years or so, the Passat has made it 5 years and she just laughs at me whenever I inquire when I can come pick up my "new" Passat.
That Passat is under the recall, they probably just opted out, which is an option unless they didn't opt in in time. The settlement says that you can opt out and the states cannot refuse to register the car. If mine was something other than a Beetle, I might have thought about opting out, but, financially, it would be tough not to take it. The way that the settlement is written one could buy them as people were panic selling after the news broke and still qualify for the buyback. Over at a vw tdi site, there is a guy that bought 10 of them, all qualify for the buyback, probably going to make north of 100k, smart. The settlement said at first, that all the car had to do to qualify for the buyback was "run under its own original 2.0 liter TDI power". So, there was one guy that stripped his down to nothing, he sat on a crate and had a pair of vice grips to steer it with. Well, he was not successful and the order was amended to prevent stripping. I took off several expensive after market parts that I had installed, but that is all. They are going to crush a '14 Beetle TDI, with 13k miles, sad but true...Mark
Old 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Thanks Mark. that does sound easy. Summit racing has them: https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ntrol-fittings. Do you happen to know the specs on the replacement?...Mark
All I know is that the mustang rack and pinion ones are lower pressure.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Administrator

It's pretty dirty, but...

So, I was walking down the street and I saw 1 of the hundreds of old Dodges. I assume that this is what I need...Mark
Attached Thumbnails A question for the alpha welders out there!-dodge-rr-steering.jpg  
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Nope. That is just a standard rotation 2wd steering box set up.
Which is the same as a 4x4 steering box without the steering plate you are trying to "steer" away from.

Looks for a '72-'76 Dodge with a huge mounting plate and a "push / pull" style pitman arm.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Nope. That is just a standard rotation 2wd steering box set up.
Which is the same as a 4x4 steering box without the steering plate you are trying to "steer" away from.

Looks for a '72-'76 Dodge with a huge mounting plate and a "push / pull" style pitman arm.
Thanks Oliver, you are of coures absolutely right, , it looks just like mine. I would blame all the alcohol, but I don't drink. I have no excuse...Mark

Quick Reply: A question for the alpha welders out there!