1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

put an hx35 on my 93 d350 5 speed 2wd and it made it slower

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On a 93 it should be an 18cm.

Here is some good info and upgrades.

1988-1993 Dodge Cummins Turbo Upgrades

I would still recommend an he351cw (to BOBVA'S dismay), but it requires some work to install so some research is required.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that's why it's so laggy
Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BILTIT
I did answer part of it. I told you the difference between an upgraded H1C and the 351cw.
What part did you answer?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 PM

The 351cw has a wastegate and a tighter exhaust housing with different turbine.

I guess you need to reread.

Or do i need to be extra particular for you when you are stirring the pot?

The 351cw has a wastegate, tighter exhaust housing and different turbine VS the upgraded H1C. These are some but not all the differences.

If you have any questions, speak to my lawyer.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you need to reread.

Or do i need to be extra particular for you when you are stirring the pot?

The 351cw has a wastegate, tighter exhaust housing and different turbine VS the upgraded H1C. These are some but not all the differences.

If you have any questions, speak to my lawyer.

Now I understand you dont understand the differences in the words upgrade and stock.
But then again your the guy that uses hammers and prybars to put shocks on his truck because you cant read a measuring stick either.

My upgraded H1c has a wastegate has tighter exhaust housing 12cm with a 4inch flange and a 60mm pin wheel
Old 12-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
From what I've read the h351cw still flows more than an h1c with a 60mm compressor upgrade and a 12cm exhaust housing.

I could be wrong though since I don't have any real evidence besides other people's words and experience
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by gaberichison
Should I do that or just a 60mm upgrade on my h1c?? I'm looking for really good throttlength response and acceleration
We are talking about the original posters upgrade thoughts, not yours BOBVA.

He was asking about the 60mm compressor wheel upgrade only, not a wastegate.

There are many things "upgrade" can mean, keep it in context.

I posted a link for the OP to see many of the available upgrades so he can decide what level of "Upgrade" he would like.

If you dont have anything helpful to contribute than dont contribute, period.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by dan123dbl
From what I've read the h351cw still flows more than an h1c with a 60mm compressor upgrade and a 12cm exhaust housing.

I could be wrong though since I don't have any real evidence besides other people's words and experience
You are correct, the 4" outlet of the 351cw exhaust housing allows it to flow more volume than the 3" exhaust outlet of the H1C. This allows increased free flowing exhaust and a smaller housing (9cm2) for faster spoolup.

I do not know when or who designed the H1C 60mm wheel so i cannot truly say if it is better or worse than the 351cw wheel.

The compressor wheel and turbine wheel have to be looked at as a pair, they work together. You change the size of one and the other can feel it/be effected by it.

This is the magic of turbochargers, balancing both sides to work in unison while delivering the performance you are looking for.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM

That's the way I was looking at it. 4" exhaust outlet and quite a bit newer turbo design.

Plus I'd be comfortable pushing an he351cw to 40psi, not so much an h1c.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Yup, i see 40psi with mine. I dont hit 40 very often and for very long but i have seen 35psi alot when pulling 12k behind me. (i am heavy on the go pedal)
Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
That will never happen. They dont fit.
HX35 exhaust housing will fit right on an H1C.

To quote myself:

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
The 60mm upgrade gives you a bigger inducer, but the exducer stays the same (82mm IIRC). The HE351CW has a 60mm inducer and 86 mm exducer.

Just food for thought.
The bigger exducer helps move more air. The cost of a 60mm upgrade could buy you a HE351CW - although they have been going up in price.

I don't know if you want my advice, but if you do, don't buy the upgrade. The HE351CW will spool faster, run cooler, and make more power.

Also, the upgrade kit has a 6 blade wheel while the HE351 has a 7 blade wheel. The 7 blade wheel can move a little more air at slower turbo speeds - same wheel as a Super HX40

Last edited by 1972RedNeck; 12-16-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: blade count
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM

I was asked howhat many blades my inducer wheel was, both my h1c and my hx35w are both 8 blades, does that sound normal??
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Yes it does
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 AM

Overall, I think OP's problem is that he is obsessed with upgrading his turbo. That's the whole problem either way. Original turbo was performing better.

Far more (free) options to make power on a 93 than replacing the unbroken factory turbo right off the bat. From what I read, he hasn't even adjusted to fuel pin or fuel screws? Am I reading that correctly?

IMO...
First- fill out your sig so that we can see what is actually done to the truck
Then- boost and pyro gauges so that you can see a bit of what is happening.
Next- BHAF, exhaust, and fuel screw/fuel pin tweaks (both free)

30 psi on the stock turbo and injectors is easily doable and with safe EGT's. Only after this is done and you are running right and still need more should you be looking at injectors and a turbo.

My advise would be to go back to your original turbo and properly upgrade. No more "the gauge is on the way". My response... "great, don't touch anything until it's installed."
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by VIN#Diesel
Overall, I think OP's problem is that he is obsessed with upgrading his turbo. That's the whole problem either way. Original turbo was performing better.

Far more (free) options to make power on a 93 than replacing the unbroken factory turbo right off the bat. From what I read, he hasn't even adjusted to fuel pin or fuel screws? Am I reading that correctly?

IMO...
First- fill out your sig so that we can see what is actually done to the truck
Then- boost and pyro gauges so that you can see a bit of what is happening.
Next- BHAF, exhaust, and fuel screw/fuel pin tweaks (both free)

30 psi on the stock turbo and injectors is easily doable and with safe EGT's. Only after this is done and you are running right and still need more should you be looking at injectors and a turbo.

My advise would be to go back to your original turbo and properly upgrade. No more "the gauge is on the way". My response... "great, don't touch anything until it's installed."
I don't plan on touching anything until then anyway, I have a denny t stage 2 fuel pin and pump is turned up a little, I also have some ddp injectors about to go in, figured with all the extra fuel I'm throwing at the engine it would be helpful to add some more air too

Quick Reply: put an hx35 on my 93 d350 5 speed 2wd and it made it slower