1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

put an hx35 on my 93 d350 5 speed 2wd and it made it slower

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it off of amazon, it was 400 bucks, unless anyone here has any other ideas I guess I'll just look for a used holset
Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
What was wrong with the old turbo?

With no gauges, I am guessing it was hard to tell if the old turbo was up to the job or not.

This thread is full of ideas for you…..
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Nothing was wrong with the h1c, just figures since I was going to be adding so many things to increase fuel power I should upgrade the air flow, but all it seemed to do was slow me down
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by gaberichison
I got it off of amazon, it was 400 bucks, unless anyone here has any other ideas I guess I'll just look for a used holset
Hey bud, you're in the middle of a few hundred first gen junkies that collectively have more knowledge and experience than one can accumulate in a lifetime times ten. You've only been hanging around for a month or so thus far.

We're really trying to help, so slow down and ask questions. The number 1 question you didn't ask that got answered a few times already is that the first thing you need to do is install a couple of instruments (boost and EGT) so you have actual scientific measurement of your turbo's performance.

It looks like you got a knock off turbo that moves less air than the original. That fact would have been easily discerned by you in short order with gauges.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM

I understand that I need guages, just waiting for them to get here, I got the turbo before they showed up, figure I'd slap it on and give it a test drive, you can hear that it is pushing way more air than the h1c was, but my truck seems to bog down when this is happenning, before I go any further I am going to wait for my gauges, just didn't know if anyone has ran into this before and if it could possibly be a fuel/air ratio problem, I understand I need guages, just figuredon't I'd see if anyone had ran into this before
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
I give up.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM

I understand that I need guages, just waiting for them to get here, I got the turbo before they showed up, figure I'd slap it on and give it a test drive, you can hear that it is pushing way more air than the h1c was, but my truck seems to bog down when this is happenning, before I go any further I am going to wait for my gauges, just didn't know if anyone has ran into this before and if it could possibly be a fuel/air ratio problem, I understand I need guages, just figuredon't I'd see if anyone had ran into this before
I'm curious. How you can hear that it is pushing more air? The "push" side should be a totally enclosed system.

I suspect you are hearing more induction turbine noise, which doesn't exactly mean more air volume and pressure.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM

I'm hearing it out of the exhaust, my exhaust is about twice as loud and it whistles like a **** 6.4, I guess just assume that meant more air
Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=gaberichison;3261188]I got it off of amazon, it was 400 bucks, unless/QUOTE]

It's not an eBay turbo by any means, but it's not a holset, it's somewhere in between,
Please tell me difference between fake and imitation.

400buck for a paper wieght
Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Yall sure are good at answering questions, now I know that I have wasted my money on a turbo and my time on this forum, nothin but hate on here, hope yall had fun bombing on me
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM

Yall sure are good at answering questions, now I know that I have wasted my money on a turbo and my time on this forum, nothin but hate on here, hope yall had fun bombing on me
I'm with Oliver. I give up.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
All these guys answered your question...YOU just refused to read, and understand what they were saying.

No one was giving you any hate, or bombing you...you were being evasive and not forthcoming with important information. And trying to get it out of you was like pulling teeth.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:34 PM

I'm not so sure how yall saying my turbo is a waste if money is helping me find the problem, all I wanted was some trouble shooting methods or reasons it may be until I get my guages and I can see how it's reading, instead, I got a bunch of hate, yall are talking to me like I am retarded, there were only two people that actually helped at all
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 PM

I'm not so sure how yall saying my turbo is a waste if money is helping me find the problem, all I wanted was some trouble shooting methods or reasons it may be until I get my guages and I can see how it's reading, instead, I got a bunch of hate, yall are talking to me like I am retarded, there were only two people that actually helped at all
You didn't get hate. You got the diagnostics, which is impossible without the instruments.

BTW, making noise in the exhaust would indicate inefficient extraction of energy from the exhaust by the turbo. That's not turbo air you're hearing, it's just exhaust noise, or illusions of grandeur.

I'm out of here. If and when you can get over feeling that anybody that disagrees with you is a hater, I may rejoin the fray.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Would it work/ be beneficial to put an hx35 inducer wheel on an hc1

Quick Reply: put an hx35 on my 93 d350 5 speed 2wd and it made it slower