1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

In preparation for the fluid damper install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
That's awesome! Let us know how much of a difference it makes!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed my Fluidampr on Monday and Tuesday drove it with a load for 250 miles back home. I've gotta be honest, I noticed zero difference in engine smoothness at highway speeds. When I first fired her up it seemed smoother at idle, but I didn't notice a higher rpm difference.

This thread covers most of what you'll need to know for install. I had read that you could do it from underneath without removing the radiator, there is no way I could see to do that on my truck. I used an 1/8" spacer on the fan because that's as big a spacer as I felt comfortable using and still having enough threads to secure the fan. I had to grind a bit off the fan to clear the damper even with that spacer. It was a 36mm service wrench that I had to buy to use to remove the fan, it was reverse threaded.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Am I correct that in the sticky on Thrashin's install that when Wannadiesel stated that the spacer/shim could be installed inside the fan clutch hub, to be clearer in my head, he is meaning to put a spacer/shim of sme sort "inside" the clutch nut, which in turn would push the fan forward away from the damper? Wheelerfreak, so no results noted except better idle quality?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Am I correct that in the sticky on Thrashin's install that when Wannadiesel stated that the spacer/shim could be installed inside the fan clutch hub, to be clearer in my head, he is meaning to put a spacer/shim of sme sort "inside" the clutch nut, which in turn would push the fan forward away from the damper?
Yes that is what he did. Sort of like the old days when we had fan spacers of different lengths.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Yes that is what he did. Sort of like the old days when we had fan spacers of different lengths.
. Thanks,Mark, for validating
Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Hey Trashing, what did you do to the factory studs that used to hold the crank sensor bracket? If you replaced the bolts to match the OEM timing cover bolts, what is the pitch, type, length,etc?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just cut off the extension on it and then ground it flush with the bolt head.i used the bolts that came with the fluidampr to install the bracket.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey Thrashing, what did you do to the factory studs that used to hold the crank sensor bracket? If you replaced the bolts to match the OEM timing cover bolts, what is the pitch, type, length,etc?
Sorry I had to change your reference to me....it's not Trashing....but Thrashing. I'm better then trash... Oliver likes to label me Trashy as well.....

Anyway I dug through my pics and it appears as though I used a couple case bolts from my 89 motor to replace the CPS mounting studded bolts. So they would be the proper Cummins OEM fasteners for the timing case.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Sorry I had to change your reference to me....it's not Trashing....but Thrashing. I'm better then trash... Oliver likes to label me Trashy as well.....

Anyway I dug through my pics and it appears as though I used a couple case bolts from my 89 motor to replace the CPS mounting studded bolts. So they would be the proper Cummins OEM fasteners for the timing case.
Ok, then, LOL! How about TC. We got NJT, TC, JM(J Martin), then there's BC847! I'll get it right! Yeah, thanks for the info then on the bolts. Last nite I was thinking about my trip to cummins this week. Unless you have a straight on part # they are going to want the CPL # on the side of the timing cover. My truck is in the Bay Area for the week. Anyone with a 1993 able to toss me their CPL for parts purchase purposes? Going to order the rest of my loose ends this week to finally start the fluid damper install and timing cover work next weekend
Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I like the trashing cows idea.

Brings back memories of when I was in high school and I used to trash talk all the fat girls in my class. Trashing Cows was fun, back then...
8-)
Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I like the trashing cows idea.

Brings back memories of when I was in high school and I used to trash talk all the fat girls in my class. Trashing Cows was fun, back then...
8-)
Well I guess in some circumstances it's OK then.....

Here's a couple numbers off my 93 motor...

CPL # 1579

Engine # 44803630
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 AM

TC, thnx for the CPL. NJT, that's some funny stuff right there!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Hey, thought of something else as preventive maintenance "while I was in the general vicinity". Studying the pics of thrashing's fluid damper install and NJT's kip kill I see there's an expansion plug directly behind the clutch fan seal housing. Anyone replace that while they had the housing off? Curious to know what condition is that plug at, in a 20+ year old truck? I've already replaced the ones above the trans cooler, beneath the turbo. I have 2 new spare plugs. If you have replaced that one, what was the level of difficulty in access to(getting tools in threre to yank out old and hammer in new) ?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
How did the ones you replaced look?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:51 AM

The ones I replaced were corroded bad on the inside. So, 1 leaked for sure, and the other 2 were just a few months away from leaking, if I were to speculate. I used those billet aluminum ones that act like a toggle bolt to secure to the block. "O" ringed for leak preventative, easy to remove if I ever have to, and looks good. The maker does not make one for behind the fan clutch housing; I have 2 stainless steel ones from Cummins, though, to use if needed

Quick Reply: In preparation for the fluid damper install