1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

power steering fluid out the cap - brown??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power steering fluid out the cap - brown??

So I never noticed ANY problems with steering until today, when I moved the truck about 50 feet and something sounded odd, so I get out and ps fluid is coming out the cap. and now, no power steering.

I've read some threads here and first thing I'll do is go get new fluid and get ready to flush and replace.. but some questions from an inexperienced guy:

- this fluid looks like baby diarrhea! why is my fluid this ugly brown goopy looking crap? could that be water in there somehow?

- is there an easy way to drain the ps fluid completely? reading about a turkey baster and 4 or 5 flushes sounds like a pain.

How much new fluid do I need, and what's a good top line product I should use?

Tys
Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
The brown fluid is most likely due to water contamination, and then slowly rusting internal parts. If there is no PS now it is most likely a problem bigger then just replacing the fluid....that should have been done years ago.

But the cheapest and easiest thing would be to drain the fluid and start from there. You can remove the return line (non-pressure) from the PS reservoir, and the PS gear and allow most of the fluid to drain that way. It will not get it all, but most will drain out.

Once the fluid has drained and been refilled jack the front end up and make sure the tires are off the ground. Then before starting the motor turn the steering wheel from full loc-to-loc (left to right) "SLOWLY" a half dozen times. Check your fluid level when doing this. Once that is done then fire the motor up and let it idle for 10-15 sec. Shut the motor off and re-check the fluid level. Top it up as necessary and then fire up the motor again....now turn the wheels loc-to loc again.

If you don't have any PS after this then you more then likely have bigger issues....PS pump, or steering box.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-11-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
If the above doesn't help, I think I would take this as an opportunity to change the pump, gear and hoses.
thrashingcows (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM

I've started doing the turkey baster fluid change every 6 months or so. Very easy to do, and it keeps fresh fluid in your system.

Oh and for actual fluid....I've bought a gallon jug of Prestone fluid a year or two ago. Seems to be working fine for me.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
You can remove the return line (non-pressure) from the PS reservoir, and the PS gear and allow most of the fluid to drain that way. It will not get it all, but most will drain out.
got it. I see two outlets out the back of the reservoir... either of those? upper? lower? they seem high to get much drained out.

Can I put a little air pressure in through the cap to push out old stuff once I pull one of those hoses? Like a reversed shopvac, or even me blowing through a hose?

I'll plan on doing a big flush and following these instructions.

For the record, I haven't gone 30,000 miles on this fluid. I'm not good at maintenance, but I'm not (usually) negligent.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:16 AM

If you remove both lines from the back of the PS pump, that will drain most of the fluid from the reservoir. Then with the front wheels off the ground and motor off, you can slowly turn the wheels back and forth. That will drain most of the fluid from the steering gear. Then re-assemble, refill and prime.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Just so you know, you can get a pinhole in the return line and have it aerate the fluid, for whatever reason it seems worse during cold weather ( probably because it is more of a pain to do then....).

Anyway, severely aerated older fluid can appear to be brown.

I would use the turkey baster method to change the fluid a couple of times and keep an eye on it.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 PM

well, I screwed that up.

big storm here yesterday and today, so no internet all day... and of course, I didn't WRITE DOWN the very well explained instructions.

Since I was waiting to hear about the return line, I actually found some tubing and siphoned out the fluid... well, I didn't do all that well, but since I don't have a turkey baster..

Replaced what I took out, and then [stupidly, because I couldn't remember] I got the wheels off the ground, then *started up the truck*, then did the side to side.

did that for 3 flushes. put it back on the ground and drove in a 100' circle... with no power steering... and hissing and foam when I shut off the engine.

I will pull one of those two lines - in the back - the ones facing the rear of the truck - and flush again.

Any ideas if I made something worse by screwing up the instructions?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 AM

Hard to say if you made things worse....since the original problem may still be raising it's ugly head. Try again and see what happens.....
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
change the return line hose and clamps, it's probably pin holed.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I think that it is air locked. Just take the cap off the pump and let it sit for a while. You can turn the wheels lock to lock with the motor off. I just did this yesterday. You didn't mess anything up, you just air locked it...Mark
mknittle (01-11-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 AM

well, *great* news. I found a pin hole in one of the hoses. (once I got the wife in the truck to turn the wheels so I could see what was going on)

So... now I need help identifying what hose I need to buy to replace it.

here's a photo of the closer-to-the-front-of-the-truck:

and here's the closer-to-the-reservoir end:

can someone help me out with part number/name/place-to-get-one and how tough it is to swap in and out?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Looks like that is the pressure line. Got mine from Orielly's when I replaced them. Just told them the truck year and model, they were able to look it up.

Personally if the other line looks similar to the one in question I would replace them both.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:46 PM

That would be the high pressure line....and as Hillbilly suggested replace both lines. If you go to NAPA you can get lifetime warranty hoses for a very reasonable price.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Hey, just here to say I swapped out both lines and it seems to be back in working order.

Sometimes with this truck I feel like the Kevin Costner character in Dancing with Wolves... .the only way I survive is the smart horse who can take care of herself.

I really appreciate all the help, for this simple thing, and the many other times I've received advice here.

Cheers everybody.
thrashingcows (01-25-2017)

Quick Reply: power steering fluid out the cap - brown??