1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Please help me make my speedometer work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me make my speedometer work!!!!

Hello All. I am new to the forum and am in need of some technical help. I have a 93 2WD ClubCab Cummins that I converted to a 5 speed manual 4wd using 1991.5 running gear. The transmission is a Getrag with a 205 transfer case. The wiring harness of the speedometer is a 3 prong connector and the female side on the transfer case is a 2 prong connector. I have no access to full wiring diagrams so I cannot tell how to make the three wire circuit work with the two wire plug. With the key on, the speedometer goes to 32.5 mph and stays there no matter if you are moving or if the pickup is running or not. I have tried turning on other circuits to see if I have an issue with crosswiring something but I cannot get the needle to move. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Again, great forum and a great resource for Dodge Gen 1 addicts.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update 9-4-16

Got it figured out so I hope this will help someone else who has this issue. On 5he advise of a transmission shop owner I needed to oreder a sensor with a 3 wire connector so I did. I got it and installed it but when I turned the key on the speedometer still went to 32.5 mph. I could not figure out the issue so I talked to a local mechanic who kept asking me if I took the dash apart. I told him yes but just.to put the backplate on the speedometer and blank out the automatic gear indicator. He said that since I removed the needle with the key off, the sensing voltage from the sender was taking the speedometer to 32.5 mph. He told me to remove the needle, turn the key on then reinstall the needle. I did and put everything back together and road tested it. I now have a fully functional speedometer.