1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Piston Lift Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I was finding outrageous prices from cummins as well..... And at case! But I called Sacramento Truck center and bought a boatload of parts (including 3 metal connector rod upgrades for our rpm gov control)

But if I recall the pump was 178.00 AND they had to order it from the "factory" so it is a new current unit.

Sac truck guys were much friendlier and helpful than my local cummins west guys ever were. I think it is because the cummins west people see the dodge guys coming a mile away, and probably get a lot of small item automotive customers and surely they have their share of horror stories from unhappy custys...
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM

question

So I got all my parts. The fuel line is unavailable at the factory or anywhere in the USA but actually 26 lines will be released next week to the nat'l distributor...

I have a question...... Will the old fuel line bend into place temporarily? Do you really need that new fuel line. ? Or is it not long enough. What about a custom flex hose from a local hose and fitting house.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
So I got all my parts. The fuel line is unavailable at the factory or anywhere in the USA but actually 26 lines will be released next week to the nat'l distributor...

I have a question...... Will the old fuel line bend into place temporarily? Do you really need that new fuel line. ? Or is it not long enough. What about a custom flex hose from a local hose and fitting house.
My fuel line is supposed to be coming from N Carolina. It has taken almost 5 days now even though I paid for overnight.

I was going to make my own line out of the old one but I though it would be easier to buy a new one. wrong.

The old line is a little short to rebend, so I was going to use the ends and custom make a hose.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM

cool I see that these lines are a hot ticket. let me know how your custom fab comes out. I may take the line down to the hose n fitting house and see if they have couplers to fit the ends to flex hose.

But I also have a question about your truck. If you have an f450 rear frame, why not have the dana 110 under there ;-) like the F550s
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM

I am going to wait for the factory line for now.

I bought an 1988 F450 rear section and they had Dana 80s
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Cool mod

Well I am not in too much of a hurry either. I hope to just get the engine stabbed into the w200 by sunday.

But after that I'm out of town till the 2nd week of feb........
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

M14x-6AN, M12x-6AN, a couple -6an to socketless barbs and a bit of fuel line and away you go. MAke it as long as you need and route it how you like. No need for a factory line.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
M14x-6AN, M12x-6AN, a couple -6an to socketless barbs and a bit of fuel line and away you go. MAke it as long as you need and route it how you like. No need for a factory line.
Hmmmm, nice and clean, there should be a slick way to fit a 1/8 f npt tap for a fuel pressure gauge in there too. I need to do a LP real soon myself. The gears are turning.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave F
Hmmmm, nice and clean, there should be a slick way to fit a 1/8 f npt tap for a fuel pressure gauge in there too. I need to do a LP real soon myself. The gears are turning.
Try this.
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr...x?pf_id=3818ST
Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 AM

bingo!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
After you fight those rigid hard-lines, crossing threads, skinning knuckles, and dropping bolts, then do the same job with flexible rubber lines in about 1/10 of the time/hassle, the cost of a few JIC fittings begins to look like a bargain.

JIC and AN are basically the same for our intents and purposes.

The fit and design is identicle, just the quality-control is supposed to be tougher for the AN, which means ArmyNavy.

JIC = JointInternationalConference = 37* Flare, as opposed to plain old 45* plumbing flare.

I have almost entirely got my truck plumbed 100% JIC/PushLok from all three fuel-tanks, through an army of valves and filters, including Returns.

Once you have things converted to rubber-hose and JIC ends, diagnosing and maintaining the fuel-system becomes a lot less of a hassle.

By the way, Mr. Eskimo Man (ofc marc), I saw on the weather where you were between -40 and -50 last night; I bet the smoke freezes in the chimney and the dipper will be froze in the water-bucket this morning.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

By the way, Mr. Eskimo Man (ofc marc), I saw on the weather where you were between -40 and -50 last night; I bet the smoke freezes in the chimney and the dipper will be froze in the water-bucket this morning.
You should see the ice dams on my windows.....
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks a lot OFFICER MARC I really appreciate it. This will be on the agenda today.....
Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Ok Thanks for the idea Marc, I have the new custom fuel line parts in hand. They look awesome and it will work great.

FYI future Piston Pump Buyers: I know the price has been "going up" as some said to over 300 bones but I found mine for 175 from a big rig truck place using cummins PNs. It is a cummins part they ordered from the factory overnight. It came here and looks good but it is "made in china" Isn't this supposed to be a Carter pump.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM

I have the new custom fuel line parts in hand. They look awesome and it will work great.
I need to get to work on this one myself but I need a M14 adapter and they aren't availible locally. It also costs more to ship one that to buy one so I bideing mt time on it. I got the sim flo regulator and will probly run new lines this summer. Gonna go 3/8" from the tank and probly use the stock feed line for a return.

I also plan on a remot filter setup theat will allow easier changes when I gel up. But that is a whole different story.

Quick Reply: Piston Lift Pump Install