1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Persistent exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Persistent exhaust leak

So I am having this persistent exhaust leak at the flanges between the manifold and the head, not very bad but I know it is there.

I had replaced the gaskets about a year ago and now I am starting to hear a faint leak again.

Has anyone ever used 2 sets of gaskets back to back with the sealing ridge on both sides?
Seems this would seal leak.

I bought a FelPro gasket set and they are embossed metal, are the Cummins any better or are there extra thick gaskets avalible?

Some day I need to pull the head to fix a slight oil leak and I will have all of the surfaces machined.

I have had this oil leak for the last 5-6 years.

Jim
Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I haven't doubled up the gaskets but I just installed an ATS 3 piece manifold and as a matter of course sprayed both side of the new gaskets with copper head gasket spray. I haven't started it yet so I can't say if it sealed.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I have worked on several old 12V motors with multiple metal gaskets between the head and the exhaust manifold.
They where installed by the P.O. but seemed to be working when I got the truck.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
So I am having this persistent exhaust leak at the flanges between the manifold and the head, not very bad but I know it is there.

I had replaced the gaskets about a year ago and now I am starting to hear a faint leak again.

Has anyone ever used 2 sets of gaskets back to back with the sealing ridge on both sides?
Seems this would seal leak.

I bought a FelPro gasket set and they are embossed metal, are the Cummins any better or are there extra thick gaskets avalible?

Some day I need to pull the head to fix a slight oil leak and I will have all of the surfaces machined.

I have had this oil leak for the last 5-6 years.

Jim
I have used up to four gaskets on each port to try to get an old warped manifold/head to seal up. Seems to work fine for me.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I've never installed a cummins manifold....yet...but I have always used high temp RTV on both sides of the gaskets and tightened it down the manifold. Usually seals up fine, and I've installed some nasty manifolds over the years.
mknittle (12-28-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Have you tried the manifold I gave you last year sometime?

The MLS (multi-layered steel) gaskets are said to be for the instance when a surface is not quite true.
mknittle (12-28-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
have you checked to see if the manifold is warped? use straight edge or other known flat surface, I have one that shows .015" of variation at the rear two ports, same deal, kept blowing its seal, or bolts would come loose.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Anyone ever try a Remflex gasket? Looks like P/N 6017. They advertise that they are designed for use with warped or out-of-true manifolds. $40 on Epay.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Anyone know the torque specs for the exhaust manifold bolts?
I am going to attempt to replace the gaskets hopefully this next week.,

I am going to use 2 gaskets back to back and seal them using copper coat I between the two, this way I should have twice the crush to hopefully keep it from leaking.

Someday the head with have to come off and be resurfaced and then I will probably also install studs.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
its 32 ft. lbs.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have used Permatex Ultra Copper high temp silicone sealant to mount many exhaust manifolds on gasoline engines, without a gasket, and it has never caused a problem. I have never used it on a Cummins manifold, but on a problem manifold, I would give it a try, using a bit on each side of the gasket.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I think we can be a bit more reserved in the event you were poking, in the event you were serious, cut it out.

-Pat
Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j.fonder
You mean the mighty Jim lame is going to haphazardly repair something without completely overthinking and overengineering a fix? The browns won a game too, I guess hell truly has froze over.

Mr. J.Fonder,
Please explain to me how is this a haphazardly repair?
I see this no different than buying a set of “Extra Thick” or “laminated” manifold gaskets for the purpose of repairing a slightly warped manifold from my local auto parts.

Since 1964, 1974 professionally,
I have worked on gasoline, alcohol, nitromethane, LNG, CNG, diesel both Spark and Compression ignited, yes, spark ignited diesel, 4-71, 6-71, 8-71 and 92 series roots blown Detroit’s, turbocharged intercooled, aftercooled 2-stroke cycle 4-stroke cycle engines from single cylinder to 16 cylinder from automobiles, class-8 trucks, transit coaches, construction equipment, county owned equipment, standby gensets.
I was also a heavy truck and coach electrician.

Oh yea, and besides knowing mechanics, I am also an electrician and have studied and worked in electronics since the say late 50’s and grew up on something called a vacuum tube, (most people here have never heard of one) I saw the transistor come into existence and then the IC so yes I do know my electrical and electronics but most people here already know that.

My truck is my personal/ work vehicle.
I have been an electrician for the last 25 years, and I am on call 24-7 so my truck must run at all times.

Any maintenance on my truck must be able to be done within 6-8 hours and then it is back in service.

At the present time I can not afford the time to have the head in the shop for machine work, so if I can stop the slight ticking sound by making my own laminated gaskets and it will not hurt the engine I will give it a try, it is only going to cost me $12.00.

If it works I will let others know and hopefully it will help others on this forum, for me, that is what it is all about, helping others, check the sticky and see how many articles I have published.

I have never jury-rigged, mickey-moused, duct tape/bailing wired, haphazardly repaired anything.

Everything I do has been carefully thought out, researched, googled, opinions asked of the masses before I will put it into use.

As a mechanic there has never been anything that I could not start or drag back into the yard and repair.

I have made many tools, jigs, test adapters, black boxes, blue boxes, buzz boxes and have amazed many professionals with my knowledge.

I do not claim to know everything but I do know what I am talking about when I say something.

I really do not even know you,

Why would you say something sarcastic like this to me?
Jim
The following 4 users liked this post by Jim Lane:
1972RedNeck (12-30-2016), bigragu (12-27-2016), jimbo486 (12-28-2016), mknittle (12-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
When I see someone openly attack another member in the forums for no apparent reason I have to wonder what the heck the underlying issue is.

I know that other forums not only allow daily "Badgering" between members but some seem to welcome it.....good for them they can do anything they like after all the forums belong to them. But from the first day this forum began we chose to do things differently here, we wanted this to be a place where folks could share ideas without all the silly drama that runs rampant elsewhere on the Internet.

I find it disconcerting as well that the abuse is pointed at someone like "Jim Lane"...having read his posts since 2004 I know him to be a courteous and thoughtful individual....one who openly shares his ideas and experiences for others with never a harsh word for anyone. I never see him demand that his way is the ONLY way, only that for his specific situation this is how he went about solving a problem.

That is what this forum was created for, and I for one thank Jim for taking the time to share his ideas with the rest of us. Most people come to a place like this and take away with out ever giving back, it is people like Jim that make a forum great by spending a few moments to talk about his projects.

I am taking this opportunity to post a copy of the forum rules, I think a refresher is warranted in this case. I am marking a few spots in bold as they apply to the situation we have in this thread. My apologies to the OP for hijacking but I am hoping it leads to a better understanding about being respectful to others when visiting this Forum.

From the forum rules EVERYONE here agreed to when registering here:

You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Spam, flooding, advertisements, group buys, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate on DieselTruckResource.Com. If you are a vendor, and use our private messaging system to Spam other users with your products, you will be banned immediately, no questions asked. Do not send private messages to users trying to sell your product unless the user sends you an inquiry message first. If you purposely register more than one username, all of your usernames will be banned and removed until verbal or written explanation is given to the webmaster.

If you are not a paying advertiser on the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, you may not place advertisements in your signatures or posts for your products or website. Paid site advertisers may post information on special deals or sales in the public forum ONCE PER MONTH. Pricing may not be given in the post. The post shall not contain full details of the sale or special. The post must contain a link to the vendor website that better explains the special or sale. Again, you may never publicly post pricing on your products. If someone asks, you may answer them privately. Members may only advertise for vendors or websites who are paying advertisers of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum. You may become an advertiser by visiting our Advertise with us page for more information.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this DieselTruckResource.Com forum. Please remember that we may not actively monitor all posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of DieselTruckResource.Com.

Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. We also reserve the right to ban you and remove you from this forum at any time, for any reason. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy is valid for member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. DieselTruckResource.Com also reserves the right to reveal your identity and your public and private forum message content to appropriate legal authorities (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. Please note that no message is truly private on this forum, and all messages posted on this forum automatically become the property of the owner of this forum.

You may not participate in our forums if you are a child 13 or under. Federal law prohibits you from accessing this website. If you are a child 13 or younger, you are not to participate on this forum in any way.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep your username appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum. You must use a valid e-mail address when registering on this forum. If you do not use a valid e-mail address, DieselTruckResource.Com reserves the right to remove your account, or ban you from the forum completely. You also have the option of hiding your email address from other users. You can choose this option during the registration process, or in your profile once you're registered. For better security, DieselTruckResource.Com recommends you hide your email address when registering.

If you're here to start "flame wars", or intentionally incite arguments and inappropriate discussion, don't register on this forum.

After you register and log into DieselTruckResource.Com, you may fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate, inappropriate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded in the event that you are banned from DieselTruckResource.Com or your ISP contacted.

We reserve the right to change the rules of this forum at any time. You should check this registration agreement periodically to verify your compliance with our forum rules.
The following 4 users liked this post by Lary Ellis (Top):
bigragu (12-28-2016), jimbo486 (12-28-2016), mknittle (12-28-2016), patdaly (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Stud it and buy the thick copper gaskets. I see no point in trying to double a gasket with some sort of goo trying to take up space, or whatever your plan is/was. I see it being a waste money, time and effort when the thick copper gaskets give out and studs loose torque then it's time to do it right.

Don't tell me/us your idea'r is the same as a good gasket designed to take up space for people not wanting to do the job correctly.

Also never assume you know more than another man and or have more experience in the given field. If you want to do that I'll start listing my certs and things I've done that no one else has. Knowing when to walk away is a trait most people never attribute to greatness, but should be held higher than anything when judgment is passed onto another. If the guy bothered you let it go, and live to fight your next battle.

This next part isn't directed to Jim.
As for this whole new safe space junk.... sigh, I have no idea what to say about that. If the internet is to scary of a place to be I really have no idea how most people live their life's. If you can't take a joke or even an out right attack on a keyboard then how scary is it to be in front of another man? Man up and roll with the punches!
j.fonder (12-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Persistent exhaust leak