1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Parabolic Front Leaf Springs - Familar With These?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parabolic Front Leaf Springs - Familar With These?

Is anybody here familiar with these taper leaf (parabolic) leaf springs? Mine OEM springs are shot. Ive read mixed results about skyjackers softride and the alcan (sp). The First Gen link seems to be about this Candian supplier. Leafs look rather thick.

Dodge W250 W350 BEST Softride Spring -Order in 1" - 3" Lift

Dodge W250 W350 Soft Ride Springs

1stGen.org ? View topic - Front Suspension Upgrade

Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I have never used those, but there are a few threads about them here on DTR.
At least one of them was about softening the ride by modifying the spring pack.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have never used those, but there are a few threads about them here on DTR.
At least one of them was about softening the ride by modifying the spring pack.
The consensus seemed to be that, off the shelf, these parabolic springs are a bit too stiff. As Oliver stated, at least one thread involved an attempt to soften them. In another thread Jim Lane confirmed his success with some thin leaf springs from a California company called Atlas Suspension.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
you mean it's possible for our trucks to ride stiffer than they already do ?

NO WAY !
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
I have the 2" lift ones. They are stiffer.

My goal is to re-work the shackle angle (dead vertical right now) to achieve more suspension movement for the minimal spring flexing.

Plan B is to add more weight up front (battery, bumper, winch).

Plan C is to replace the lower leaf with a factory overload (also a tapered/parabolic type leaf).
Old 12-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been considering them for a while but decided that I'll try polyurethane spring tip inserts in between a stock 6 leaf setup that isn't sagged right out.

Jim Lane did it to his rear spring pack and said it really helped the ride. As far as I know no one has tried them in the front with the original springs.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dan123dbl
I've been considering them for a while but decided that I'll try polyurethane spring tip inserts in between a stock 6 leaf setup that isn't sagged right out.
My old leafs are going into the RC... shouldn't sag as much with the gasser. Might have to try those poly tip inserts
Old 12-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
you mean it's possible for our trucks to ride stiffer than they already do ?

NO WAY !
Your wife would hate you for making your truck ride even stiffer, and she would never want to ride with you again..

Wait a second...Let know when you get them installed.

Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Has anyone tried the three leaf pack?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dan123dbl

Jim Lane did it to his rear spring pack and said it really helped the ride. As far as I know no one has tried them in the front with the original springs.
I have the spring tip inserts in the front of my 92. Granted the springs are beefed up, larger main spring, added another leaf, 2.5" rise in height, new bushings.....

Truck rides nice, not like a new truck, but nice for me. Much better than the stock springs were.

BTW... The spring inserts eventually will fail, as they're being crushed over time. Been a couple years now, and they're thinner than they were. Oh well..... live and learn..
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Your wife would hate you for making your truck ride even stiffer, and she would never want to ride with you again..

She already does, and stop teasing me ! You can't make promises that will be kept, then shhhhhhh !!!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM

BTW... The spring inserts eventually will fail, as they're being crushed over time. Been a couple years now, and they're thinner than they were. Oh well..... live and learn..
I'm tempted to squeeze some neverseize or molyslip between the leaf ends as a test to see what I can expect.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by u2slow
I'm tempted to squeeze some neverseize or molyslip between the leaf ends as a test to see what I can expect.
Way back in the early days, like earlier than 1950, some if not most leaf spring packs were packed in grease and wrapped in burlap and sheet metal to retain the grease.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Way back in the early days, like earlier than 1950, some if not most leaf spring packs were packed in grease and wrapped in burlap and sheet metal to retain the grease.
That's slick I bet worn out leaf springs were never heard of back then
Old 12-23-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the spring tip inserts in the front of my 92. Granted the springs are beefed up, larger main spring, added another leaf, 2.5" rise in height, new bushings.....

Truck rides nice, not like a new truck, but nice for me. Much better than the stock springs were.

That's good to know. There's a set of leaf springs front and rear for sale around me for $80. Was gonna re-do them with the inserts and swap them out with mine.

Would you recommend taking the time to put inserts in the front and rear for the improvement in the ride you gained? I was thinking of adding a leaf or 2 as well to gain an inch or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parabolic Front Leaf Springs - Familar With These?