1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

OK, Let's renew our AC system

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
A wise old man(my father) once told me that once you've blown that pop valve, it will pop much easier and more frequently from then on. We had one pop on a tractor this summer and had to replace the compressor because the valve was just wide open after that.

As for a pressure switch. I installed one from a Mack truck in my 03 cummins project. It's a binary switch so it will cut out if it gets too low or too high. I'll have to scrounge for a part # if you're interested. But just google "a/c binary switch"
Old 10-22-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Sigh.
100% of 50-50 mix for the win.

Originally Posted by j.fonder
for the sake of beating a dead horse, i edited your quote.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Mr. Edwin,

I use a 3/8" handle like this to access my serpentine belt, the head is flat so it fits the narrow space behind the shroud.

Like this one.

Ace Hardware Stores | Browse for Hardware, Home Improvement, and Tools.

My current tensioner also has the 1/2" square drive so I have a 1" section of 1/2" OD X 3/8" ID square tube as an insert then I use my 3/8" handle, this works perfect.

A 10" section of 3/4 PVC acts as a sliding handle for additional leverage.

You can also use a section of 3/8" or 1/2" square stock and a long handle open end wrench.

How do you have your fans set up, I have my 2 fans on separate 30-amp relays and circuit breakers both triggered off the compressor, I can also control them manually with a switch.

With R-134a additional airflow is almost mandatory.

I also feel that after a spring loaded relief trips it should be replaced.

Jim
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Is there a reason you prefer this complicated setup to a 1/2" drive breaker bar?

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

My current tensioner also has the 1/2" square drive so I have a 1" section of 1/2" OD X 3/8" ID square tube as an insert then I use my 3/8" handle, this works perfect.

A 10" section of 3/4 PVC acts as a sliding handle for additional leverage.

You can also use a section of 3/8" or 1/2" square stock and a long handle open end wrench.

Jim
Old 10-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
How do you have your fans set up, I have my 2 fans on separate 30-amp relays and circuit breakers both triggered off the compressor, I can also control them manually with a switch.

With R-134a additional airflow is almost mandatory.

I also feel that after a spring loaded relief trips it should be replaced.

Jim
I have a single 30 amp relay running both fans from the battery. The coil of the relay is in parallel with the coil of the compressor clutch. I need to relocate the fuse to avoid the heat since it is currently right next to the condenser and fans. Maybe I'll try a 30 amp circuit breaker. Cheaper on fuses.

I would have to drain my radiator to get to the pop-off valve which is on the output manifold of the compressor. I put it on new when I started this job. The last time I was watching and it popped at about 600 psi so I think it is a spring loaded one as it seems to be consistent. I just wish it was in a different place so as not to spray oil on the belt.

I think if I keep the fans running it will be ok. This R134a conversion seems to be experimental anyway.

I noticed that your condenser is a lot bigger than mine. Do you have a PN for it? If I keep having troubles I may opt for a bigger one like yours.

These past few weeks we have been running up to Ridgecrest on the weekends to get a rental house ready for new tenants so haven't had a lot of time to play with it. The A/C ran well on the trip up but just not a cool as I would like. I'll try a bit more refrigerant next week and see if I can get it optimized again.

Edwin
Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
Is there a reason you prefer this complicated setup to a 1/2" drive breaker bar?
If I was going to by another tool I think it would be the tool meant for changing the belts that I saw mentioned somewhere. I have a couple of 1/2 breaker bars but a 3/8 might be nice to have also. I don't know if it would be positioned correctly to work the tensioner though. A ratchet can be repositioned but it is still a pain. I like the old way with the v belts and setting the tension with a bolt in a slider. This serpentine setup takes to much skin.

Edwin