1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece

Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Talking Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece

I, for one, am tired of my fuse fox falling out of the distorted and damaged plastic panel that is supposed to support it and hold it in. I found a used one on ebay from a d150 gasser, about 25 bucks. It got here and I noticed that it was in good shape as far as the screw holes go, but it had the same curve in it that my old one has. This is why the tab on the fuse box keeps coming out. I wondered if I could clamp it to a flat surface and heat it up, to get it to flatten out. I know that plastic will do 1 of 2 things when it is heated, either melt and get soft, what I want, or turn to charcoal and burn away. I tested on the old piece and it got soft. I clamped it to a good straight piece of wood and tried to use a blow drier. It would only get to about 200 degrees F. and that just was not enough. I then used my paint removal heat gun and it got plenty hot enough. I tested on the old piece and around 250-260 degrees F. made the plastic very soft. I also put a piece of wax paper between the wood and the piece as a release agent, don't ask how I figured out why I needed that. I used a piece of 1/2" square tubing to clamp on the underside, which has tabs and other protrusions. I forgot to take a pic of the final result before I installed it, so when I pull it to paint it, I'll snap one. I found that if you direct the heat through the steel, it worked real well. The final result is that the tab on the fuse box now stays in and the fuse box is in the correct place. Hope this helps you people with the same problem...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-old-piece-curved.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-new-piece-curved.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-after-first-heat.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-new-piece-clamped.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-all-done.jpg  

Last edited by maybe368; 11-15-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Administrator

A couple more pics, I'll post the pic of how good it straightened out when I pull it for paint...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-new-piece-installed.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-piece-clamped.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-pld-piece.jpg   Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece-tools.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I like it...well done!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I like it...well done!
Thanks man, it sucked when the fuse box would fall out at 75 MPH. I tried to pull tie it up, but that solution was lacking...Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Heck yea, I will be doing this as well, I'm in the same situation you were, before you came up with this brilliant idea! Job well done.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Heck yea, I will be doing this as well, I'm in the same situation you were, before you came up with this brilliant idea! Job well done.
Thanks, I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I should mention that I was real careful not to over heat it, it was actually 3 times that I heated it, let it cool, then checked it. Be patient so that you don't end up with a glob of plastic...Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Thanks, I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I should mention that I was real careful not to over heat it, it was actually 3 times that I heated it, let it cool, then checked it. Be patient so that you don't end up with a glob of plastic...Mark
You're welcome, and I will do a test run as you did with my old one so if I do end up with a glob of plastic I won't be out anything.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Great idea mark. but I think Mine is too far gone for that to work.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mknittle
Great idea mark. but I think Mine is too far gone for that to work.
Thanks Mark, Mine was on its last legs, but I found that 1 on ebay. I searched the part #55025634 and this one came up. I did it again and actually found the right color, but I had already bought this one. I would like to find a way to take some of the weight of the fuse panel off the plastic because I am pretty sure that is what causes it to bend...Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks Mark, Mine was on its last legs, but I found that 1 on ebay. I searched the part #55025634 and this one came up. I did it again and actually found the right color, but I had already bought this one. I would like to find a way to take some of the weight of the fuse panel off the plastic because I am pretty sure that is what causes it to bend...Mark
Thanks Mark, I"ll have to go on a scavenger hunt
Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Here is one, but it looks like one of the screw holes is broken...Mark
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Here is one, but it looks like one of the screw holes is broken...Mark
Thanks mark
Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Did the same thing a few years ago, almost time to do it again.

This type of plastic is called thermoplastic, have a cup of cold water nearby. When you get the shape you want pour cold water on it, this will set the shape
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gyman98
Did the same thing a few years ago, almost time to do it again.

This type of plastic is called thermoplastic, have a cup of cold water nearby. When you get the shape you want pour cold water on it, this will set the shape
Thanks for the technical info and water trick. I used a fan to cool it down faster. I think that I might try to put a small hole in the tab of the fuse box and slide a small cotter pin into it. I'll then tie the cotter pin up to the steering column to try to take the weight of the fuse box off of the panel. It should be easy to remove the cotter pin for access to the fuse box. I'll post up some pics if it works, don't know what I'll do if it doesn't ...Mark
Old 11-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
My usual experience with plastic and heat guns is a melted blob.

Mine isn't falling out yet once it's in place but I'm sure that will be coming soon. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok, lets fix our fuse box panel piece