1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ok, lets do our dana 60 4x4 king pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I never painted mine, but I did use the same FIPG

They call it a "grease retainer"
Attached Thumbnails Ok, lets do our dana 60 4x4 king pins-kp2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have to thank you too for this write up Mark....It made life so much easier being able to come in a check that I was doing things properly from time to time.

And I too added the sealant to the lower cup. Not because I followed my FSM..but because there was residue on the cup, and in the casting. Plus the location simple screams water infiltration. I also painted mine to cut down on corrosion.

Here's what I did.

And installed....

Glad I could help. That is a great idea, I just love good old RTV silicone...Mark
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The kingpin on my drivers side was slightly grooved. I also noticed that the slot in the drivers knuckle had the same grooving on it. I put it all back together thinking a fresh spring, kingpin, and bushing with grease will keep it alive for years to come. Am I wrong? Do I need a new knuckle?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
The kingpin on my drivers side was slightly grooved. I also noticed that the slot in the drivers knuckle had the same grooving on it. I put it all back together thinking a fresh spring, kingpin, and bushing with grease will keep it alive for years to come. Am I wrong? Do I need a new knuckle?
Having a hard time trying to visualize what your making reference too. Do you have a pic by chance?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
A pic would be nice, but you already have it assembled. I really don't think a groove in the knuckle will do anything more than replicate itself on the king pin. Then you can replace them again in another 300k miles. I wouldn't worry, it is a very strong setup...Mark
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
A pic would be nice, but you already have it assembled. I really don't think a groove in the knuckle will do anything more than replicate itself on the king pin. Then you can replace them again in another 300k miles. I wouldn't worry, it is a very strong setup...Mark
This is pretty much what I was thinking, which is why I installed it. I was just looking for someone with the same thoughts.. Perfect
Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Administrator

I was checking the links in this thread to see if all of the links are still good and found that the link on page 1 for the lower king pins was bad. I found them here There are other sources, I also found them on Ebay...Mark
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I must have dain bramage, I just saw that this was caught later in the thread, See I do make mistakes Probably won't be the last either...Mark
Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great pictures and very informative!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

You are right, they don't seem to carry them any more. Here is one. I searched dana 37299, the correct part #. Amazon has them also...Mark
Mark:

I'm told by the shop that just did completed my front end alignment that I need more camber adjustment.

It seems Moog makes an adjustable lower king pin (part #: K992). Do you have an opinion on using the Moog K992 as opposed to the Dana 37299? Are there pros and cons?

TIA.

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by james1
Mark:

I'm told by the shop that just did completed my front end alignment that I need more camber adjustment.

It seems Moog makes an adjustable lower king pin (part #: K992). Do you have an opinion on using the Moog K992 as opposed to the Dana 37299? Are there pros and cons?

TIA.

Jim
Hi Jim. Did they say why it needed more camber? Are there any suspension mods, lifts and such, that affected the camber? I really don't know enough about them to give a reasonable answer, hopefully a much more informed member will chime in. FWIW, I have always liked and sought out Moog parts and I have never questioned their quality...Mark edit: I just looked at that part and it looks like it replaces the lower king pin. It looks a bit thin to me, but that could just be the pic. I would still want to know why it needs camber adjustment though...
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by james1
Mark:

TIA.

Jim
I would stay away from the moog camber bolts, they can't hold the hub. Camber is from king pin worn or the lower pin.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Hi Jim. Did they say why it needed more camber? Are there any suspension mods, lifts and such, that affected the camber? I really don't know enough about them to give a reasonable answer, hopefully a much more informed member will chime in. FWIW, I have always liked and sought out Moog parts and I have never questioned their quality...Mark edit: I just looked at that part and it looks like it replaces the lower king pin. It looks a bit thin to me, but that could just be the pic. I would still want to know why it needs camber adjustment though...
Mark:

The shop did not give a reason for needing more camber. Their recommendation was that I install a product by Northstar (#44-910) -- I found the Moog K992 and it appears completely identical to the Northstar part.

My truck has Kelderman air bags on the front but no other mods. It is not lifted. In the print-out the shop gave me, their "Specified Range" is -0.5° to 0.5° and my actual camber is shown to be -0.5° --so right on the edge according to them. The FSM however (page 2-6), shows the acceptable range to be -1° to 1° -- so it would appear I am well within spec according to Mopar.

I went into the shop because I recently hit an unmarked cut in a road at about 40mph (thank you, sewer line crew) and knocked the truck badly out of alignment -- causing the truck to pull to the right. I suspect this was the beginning of the end of my steering box mounting plate as well.

Originally Posted by bannerd
I would stay away from the moog camber bolts, they can't hold the hub. Camber is from king pin worn or the lower pin.
I told the shop I was considering replacing the upper and lower king pins and they told me they did not seem worn. (Only after I got back to my computer did I realize what they had recommend was actually a replacement for the lower king pin.) I suspect the shop was simply recommending the only solution they knew to get more camber adjustment. And the recommendation was for the left side only.

So you clearly think a new standard Dana lower king pin is superior to the Moog adjustable king pin?

Thanks again to all.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Administrator

I would go with the FSM and say you're right in the middle. You may have damaged the steering box itself. I would forget the aftermarket camber adjust and go with good old spicer king pins and check the steering box and adapter...Mark
Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I have also seen shims that go behind the spindle to adjust camber.

Quick Reply: Ok, lets do our dana 60 4x4 king pins