1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

nv4500 with dual disc vibrations

Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
nv4500 with dual disc vibrations

Hey all. I just finished up my nv4500 swap in my 93. Had a ton of issues so far and it seems is never ending. For starters my truck is a 93 d350. It started life as an A518 but soon swapped in a built 47RH. After some time i decided to swap in a getrag until i could do some swapping with the rh for an nv. Finally came across a chevy nv4500 that was in a 97 crew cab dually with a p pumped cummins motor swap. It came with a decent south bend dual disc 3600. Anyways for peace of mind i had my local shop go through the nv and another local shop rebuild the dual disc. New buttons, pressure plate and Re surfacing. I had the driveshaft shortened and balanced with all new u joints. Carrier bearing is on the shelf but i still need to put it in. First challenge came in the form of the flywheel bolts i got in the swap were the wrong length. They torqued down just fine, but as soon as i cranked it over they broke loose causing a horrible sound. I actually posted a thread here asking about it. After about 45 miles i just couldn't stand it so i had to tear it down and that's when i saw the problem with the bolts. I took the inner clutch back to the shop to have the center section replaced since one of the bolts had backed out far enough to cut into it and had it fixed. Since the flywheel had been bouncing around on the bolts it elongated the holes. Took it to the machine shop, had the holes machined out and sleeved. Ordered new correct size bolts from South bend (thanks Ryan) and reinstalled. Shifts good, noise is gone all but neutral chatter which is part of the dual disc and i can live with. But now i have a vibration. It does it in every gear but i got it home the other day and kind of noticed it while i was parked, in neutral with the pedal out. I gave it some throttle just for kicks. 1000 rpms, no vibration. 1300 rpms and up and it's there, considerably worse around 1500-1800 and 2200-2500. So i know it's not wheels out of balance or driveline issues. It's either in the clutch or the trans. Before i tear into it again i figured I'd throw it out to you gurus for any advice. New trans mount and good motor mounts FYI
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the clutch depressed, if it still does it, it is flywheel forward.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Good thinking DieselJon. Just went out and tried it out. Does it with pedal in or out. All i can guess is with getting the flywheele resurfaced and having to sleeve the bolt holes it got out of balance. Beats me
Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader93
Good thinking DieselJon. Just went out and tried it out. Does it with pedal in or out. All i can guess is with getting the flywheele resurfaced and having to sleeve the bolt holes it got out of balance. Beats me
That would be my call. Just to be sure, check with the clutch depressed and transmission in a gear.

The flywheel and pressure plate rotate together. The assembly is off balance, or off center. Yes the clutch would work normally if the flywheel and pressure plate were off center.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 PM

Same affect Mr Martin. Does it neutral clutch in and out and in every gear with clutch in. Flywheel?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM

Same affect Mr Martin. Does it neutral clutch in and out and in every gear with clutch in. Flywheel?
Whatever is still turning has a balance or run out (off center) problem. That would be the flywheel and pressure plate.

I suspect the flywheel holes that had been battered were just drilled out and a repair sleeve loctite green'd in.

Gotta come off no matter what. If it were mine, I'd pull the tranny and bell housing and set up a dial indicator on the flywheel before I removed it. Document the run out if any. That should help differentiate between run out and balance as a problem.

Knowing the history, I predict there's a new flywheel in your future. I could be wrong. That's why you need to measure and document.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Whatever is still turning has a balance or run out (off center) problem. That would be the flywheel and pressure plate.

I suspect the flywheel holes that had been battered were just drilled out and a repair sleeve loctite green'd in.

Gotta come off no matter what. If it were mine, I'd pull the tranny and bell housing and set up a dial indicator on the flywheel before I removed it. Document the run out if any. That should help differentiate between run out and balance as a problem.

Knowing the history, I predict there's a new flywheel in your future. I could be wrong. That's why you need to measure and document.
That was my thought too.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM

I appreciate the input. I just picked up a clamp dial indicator. Friday when i yank the trans out i will take measurements and report my findings. Hopefully it's something simple because a new flywheele is $400+ and i really don't want to spend that especially since i just spent almost half that getting this one fixed not to mention the cost of the initial clutch rebuild. I could have bought a new dial disc by now. Ryan at south bend had been more than helpful with all the unforseen hurdles this simple swap has thrown at me. He has an offer to me for a brand new clutch that I'm having a hard time saying no to just for the fact I've got so much in this one. Hate to not see it through. Shoulda stuck with my getrag
Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 AM

I appreciate the input. I just picked up a clamp dial indicator. Friday when i yank the trans out i will take measurements and report my findings. Hopefully it's something simple because a new flywheele is $400+ and i really don't want to spend that especially since i just spent almost half that getting this one fixed not to mention the cost of the initial clutch rebuild. I could have bought a new dial disc by now. Ryan at south bend had been more than helpful with all the unforseen hurdles this simple swap has thrown at me. He has an offer to me for a brand new clutch that I'm having a hard time saying no to just for the fact I've got so much in this one. Hate to not see it through. Shoulda stuck with my getrag
I just hope and pray that you didn't wreck the crank somehow.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM

Especially on a truck with only 120k miles. I only drove it about 45 miles and it was easy miles so i don't see how it could have hurt the crank but stranger things have happened. Hopefully it's just a balance issue and can be fixed easily
Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 PM

Well I pulled the trans and set up a dial indicator and it's only got 20 thousandths runoff. not having the specs for the flywheele, I'm not sure if that's acceptable or not. I measured all the holes that were sleeved and they all measure the same from the center of the pilot bearing as well as hole to hole so i don't see an off center issue. I'm thinking is more of a balancing issue. I called the shop that rebuilt it and asked of they'd rebalance it. Apparently his machine will only fit a 12 inch clutch so he never balanced it in the first place. I'm going to Kansas City on business for the next 2 weeks and i brought the clutch with me. I'm going to drive up to south bend one day this week and hopefully they can get it squared away without having to buy any more components
Old 05-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Well I pulled the trans and set up a dial indicator and it's only got 20 thousandths runoff. not having the specs for the flywheele, I'm not sure if that's acceptable or not. I measured all the holes that were sleeved and they all measure the same from the center of the pilot bearing as well as hole to hole so i don't see an off center issue. I'm thinking is more of a balancing issue. I called the shop that rebuilt it and asked of they'd rebalance it. Apparently his machine will only fit a 12 inch clutch so he never balanced it in the first place. I'm going to Kansas City on business for the next 2 weeks and i brought the clutch with me. I'm going to drive up to south bend one day this week and hopefully they can get it squared away without having to buy any more components
It should be .005" or less And balancing wouldn't help..020 is a bunch.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:33 PM

So if all the holes measured out the same where would the excess runoff be coming from. On a side note, when i disassembled i checked vibration in stages. Transmission removed, alot of vibration. Pressure plate removed, alot less vibration.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 PM

So if all the holes measured out the same where would the excess runoff be coming from. On a side note, when i disassembled i checked vibration in stages. Transmission removed, alot of vibration. Pressure plate removed, alot less vibration.
The weight of the pressure plate, at .020" runout, would make it shake like a nudist in a blizzard.

Flywheel's junk would be my guess. Might have been from the start.

Short bolts at full torque shouldn't have come loose. Off center flywheel would shake them loose.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 PM

when i removed the flywheel this time around the bolts were good and tight upon removal. The bolts i used the first time were too long. i didn't realize it the first time and they seemed to torque down fine but when i removed the clutch seeking answers to the outrageous noises, that's when i saw they were just a hair too long, and the flywheel was loose, not much but enough to rattle on the bolts and work them loose

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nv4500 with dual disc vibrations