1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

The "No problem, everything is fine" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by the.beard
I love that I can sit in the engine bay and reach just about everything but the oil drain plug. I love that it has the fastest power windows in the universe; like a guillotine with rocket boosters. I love that my father-in-law's golf *****, son's thrown rocks and every other manner of debris shot from underneath my lawn mower have yet to leave so much as a scuff. I love that I can do just about every maintenance procedure with the same 10 hand wrenches. I love that I can beat the brakes off of a brand new Powerstroke with a tenth of the budget, 2 fewer cylinders and 30-year-old technology. I love that I've had more than one $10k-plus offer to buy it from random strangers and I can turn them down without a moment's hesitation. I love that I can look down and see 160,400 miles on the odometer and be thankful I have a low-mileage truck. I love that blow-by isn't a death sentence. I love that my VE pump fires the engine by simply bumping the key, even when it's freezing outside. I love the sound that rain makes when it bounces off of that old, Dodge sheet metal. I love that my entire front clip comes off in under an hour by removing less than 30 bolts. I love it even more that the body lines always end up perfect when I slap it back together. I love (and hate) that I'm the guy with the first gen that gets called to pull everyone else out of ditches/mud/fields/up hills/etc. I love how I never worry whether or not my 4x4 is going to engage this time or not. I love that my fuel gauge sits at a quarter tank for what seems like hundreds of miles. I love the looks on people's faces when they ask me what the block heater plug is for and I tell them it's a hybrid.

Most of all, I love that not everybody has one.
Wow, I am going to change that a little and send it to my girlfriend , nothing like waxing poetic on a Friday, good job...Mark
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Wow, I am going to change that a little and send it to my girlfriend , nothing like waxing poetic on a Friday, good job...Mark
It's all yours, bud.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Block heater wire is because it is a Hybrid…haha that is a good one...
Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I gotta say that this truck has been trouble free since I replaced the master cylinder and turned off the RWAL lights. I didn't even know that the starter was dragging when I had the original rebuilt and replaced it, so I have to say, No problems everything is fine ...Mark
Old 05-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The beast has taken a bit of resources and time to get in shape. Was pretty fine body and rust wise when I bought it, but had been neglected and mistreated by dumb wrench benders.

Last month I stabbed it under the fiver and hit the road. Put 5300 miles on it in 2 weeks. Burned all of 8 ounces of oil in that time. Had a few maintenance issues on the road, but none of them were on the truck. It just ran like it was made to.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was 2nd owner of my 91 in 94 and it was most reliable rig id had (with my **** maint), and still going strong @ 300+k. Bought 93 precisely because of that, and, after fixing po's vise grip monkey wrenching, it's been the same.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Administrator

It sometimes seems as if these truck are falling all over themselves because we focus on the problems posted. But all of them are at least 23 years old and, even though they have their foibles, the vast majority of them never end up in a %^*?ing truck thread. I have a few choices of what to drive. If I want to go to the store, I take the bug. If I want to go to the store in New York or Mexico. I take the Cummins. It is never a decision that I have to make at the time, it is already made. The best purchase I have ever made...Mark

As a side note, my tdi is about 13 months old and it has just over 7 k miles on it. It is going to be a smokln' deal for someone when I croak in about 50 years. P.S. My 60th is soon...

Last edited by maybe368; 05-07-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: lousy math
Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my truck for $3000 14 months ago. I have put about that much into it in that time. Hasn't let me down yet. A/C, trans, seats, and radio all work as they should. I did have a small problem with injectors or the pump but after replacing the injector and putting on another 2000 miles, it seems to be fine.

Tomorrow I start a 1300 mile round trip to Tulsa OK for Dyno for Dex.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay so bought my first gen just about nine years ago now for one dollar. no third gear body and interior where pretty rough . now though and getting better everday
Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by dngurney
okay so bought my first gen just about nine years ago now for one dollar. no third gear body and interior where pretty rough . now though and getting better everday
Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
It sometimes seems as if these truck are falling all over themselves because we focus on the problems posted. But all of them are at least 23 years old and, even though they have their foibles, the vast majority of them never end up in a %^*?ing truck thread. I have a few choices of what to drive. If I want to go to the store, I take the bug. If I want to go to the store in New York or Mexico. I take the Cummins. It is never a decision that I have to make at the time, it is already made. The best purchase I have ever made...Mark

As a side note, my tdi is about 13 months old and it has just over 7 k miles on it. It is going to be a smokln' deal for someone when I croak in about 50 years. P.S. My 60th is soon...
Typical you never hear the good (good is subjective) As much as problems.
But that is the nature of a help message board.

That is aside form the people that just like to take things apart.and change them.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM

No problem: it is going back together

Everything is fine: This is normal for me.

Famous quote " Is there ANYTHING that you don't modify" My wife
Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Every day, or nearly every day, I get in the old heap and cruise around. Yesterday, I spent a few hours spreading mulch all over my front yard where the hedges and trees are located. Pulling my little 5x8 dumper trailer with 2-3 yards of mulch around almost feels as though there's nothing on the back of the truck. Tracks straight and true. Goes where it needs to go.

Today, I'll be loading up a couple more yards, and hopefully finishing the mulch spreading that I would like to finish. I love the fact that mulch stinks so bad for the first week or two after application. I have a neighbor across the street whom, if the two of them were standing in their front yard, literally "on fire", I'd either check to make sure the pot of tea I was making was ready, or search the cupboard to see if I had any marshmallows.

Got to love the things my dodge can do for me.

When I'm all done with the mulch, I'm dropping off the trailer to a friend of ours who just lost their right to live in their home. The mortgage company is completing the foreclosure process, and she needs to get the debris out of the house and yard. Got to love it when a man leaves his wife with their handicapped son, and decides to stop all alimony and child support because he wants to. Even better that he lives in a 4 million dollar home with his parents now.

If there is justice in this world, he'll spend some time in the slammer with a new friend named "Bubba"...
Old 05-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
NJTman,

Glad your still thinking of creative ways to to let your problem neighbors know that your thinking about them.

And that the old truck is doing what it needs to do for you...

How do the fresh hub caps look on the truck, along with the after winter wash?

I got the white crew cab out for the first time this year on Wed. for my birthday.
I loved to be back in my 1st gen crew.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Every day, or nearly every day, I get in the old heap and cruise around. Yesterday, I spent a few hours spreading mulch all over my front yard where the hedges and trees are located. Pulling my little 5x8 dumper trailer with 2-3 yards of mulch around almost feels as though there's nothing on the back of the truck. Tracks straight and true. Goes where it needs to go.

Today, I'll be loading up a couple more yards, and hopefully finishing the mulch spreading that I would like to finish. I love the fact that mulch stinks so bad for the first week or two after application. I have a neighbor across the street whom, if the two of them were standing in their front yard, literally "on fire", I'd either check to make sure the pot of tea I was making was ready, or search the cupboard to see if I had any marshmallows.

Got to love the things my dodge can do for me.

When I'm all done with the mulch, I'm dropping off the trailer to a friend of ours who just lost their right to live in their home. The mortgage company is completing the foreclosure process, and she needs to get the debris out of the house and yard. Got to love it when a man leaves his wife with their handicapped son, and decides to stop all alimony and child support because he wants to. Even better that he lives in a 4 million dollar home with his parents now.

If there is justice in this world, he'll spend some time in the slammer with a new friend named "Bubba"...
Ah Bubba the booty bandit. I can think of some perfect roommates for him too.

The things some people do, No words that I can type here come to mind.

On the lighter side Placer county is cultivating bums(Not homeless) for the federal aid money. Any how I saw one pooping on the sidewalk in front of an elementry school yesterday. The county's responce to these incidents? Defection in public is not against any county codes as long as there is no indecent exposure.?????? I have seen three naked female bums in 8 months if that isn't indecent I don't know what is.

Quick Reply: The "No problem, everything is fine" thread.