1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No brake pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Another cure is the hydroboost swap. som of us have done it and used GM parts with great success.
After hydroboost GMs, and a converted hydroboost OBS Ford, I must say the stock vac system on my W250 is quite effective.

That said, I will stick hydroboost on before replacing any vac booster.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I have a simple device which I got many years ago. It is a check valve in a short length of hose. One end goes over the bleed screw and the other end goes in a jar. I just slip it on. Open the bleeder and slowly pump the brakes until I get the air out. I keep the MC full between going wheel to wheel. It works fine for a one man operation. The check valve stops air from being sucked back into the system when you pump the pedal. Look around. If you can find one it may work for you.

Edwin
That reminds me I put Teflon tape on my bleeder screws to keep them from sucking air in around he threads.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I have a disk conversion with El Dorado calipers that are gravity bled. The rest of the system is intact, including the RWAL valve in in the back. I had a hard brake line break on me a few weeks ago and after replacing it I gravity bled the calipers. It takes a few minutes but after a while there appears brake fluid with air bubbles. In a few minutes, the air bubbles stop and the system is bled. All I had to do was keep the MC full and watch for air. I say this because being that my system is intact all the way to the calipers, there shouldn't be any reason that it wouldn't work with the drums intact...Mark
mknittle (02-14-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
And unfortunately, you're not listening to us either.

There's a design flaw in the master that if you bench bleed them wrong by depressing or inserting the piston in too deep, you tear the seals in the master. The rear brakes need to be bled with a reservior capture system that allows you to "see" what is coming out of the cylinders bleeder screw, keeping vertical backpressure on the fluid while opening the bleeder. Vaccu-bleeders DO NOT WORK on these trucks.. Period. Been there done that.

Every one of us who have these trucks (almost) has had this particular problem. It's somewhere in it's design, although it may seem simplistic, that's what this comes down to.

There are even a few guys here who opted to forgo dealing with this issue, and swapped out the rear brakes for a disc conversion.

Not doubting your experience. These trucks are just different. Can't tell you why, but I can tell you that there are fixes to it, but they just aren't conventional.

You want help. I've given it to you and told you where to find the answer. If not, that's okay too, because I too didn't believe it at first, until I spent hours struggling with these brakes until I figured out for myself.

I wish you the best.
thanks T I just experience that very thing read your entire article makes perfect sense to me once again thanks.
Ed
mknittle (03-21-2017)