1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Truck Opinions

Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
New Truck Opinions

Well,

I posted in the 4th Gen forum, but they are not near as active as us, so I got impatient and decided to ask you all.

I am retiring my Crew crummy as my long haul option, and I am going to just use it closer to home or non towing heavy. It's not leaving this household. I have never owned anything but a first gen Ram or Power Wagon. I have never had power locks, cruise, or even AC. All of the new stuff seems space age, so it is hard for me to decide what I need or what will just be an immediate waste of money or worse a hassle in the future. Take running lights, they are cool but do I really want more lights to service and potential leak points?

Here's why I value your opinion. My truck was ordered without AC, which at the time saved the OP some cash, but today just makes no sense. So in 2026 what on a new truck would fit in this category? The air suspension system? A 220 volt alt or the accessory switch panel?

Thanks all for forgiving my non strictly first gen question.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Thiss
Well,

I posted in the 4th Gen forum, but they are not near as active as us, so I got impatient and decided to ask you all.

I am retiring my Crew crummy as my long haul option, and I am going to just use it closer to home or non towing heavy. It's not leaving this household. I have never owned anything but a first gen Ram or Power Wagon. I have never had power locks, cruise, or even AC. All of the new stuff seems space age, so it is hard for me to decide what I need or what will just be an immediate waste of money or worse a hassle in the future. Take running lights, they are cool but do I really want more lights to service and potential leak points?

Here's why I value your opinion. My truck was ordered without AC, which at the time saved the OP some cash, but today just makes no sense. So in 2026 what on a new truck would fit in this category? The air suspension system? A 220 volt alt or the accessory switch panel?

Thanks all for forgiving my non strictly first gen question.
It's not 2026. Alternators are in amps, all 12 volt. There's no way of knowing what truck you're talking about.

I suggest you abandon the bong long before you post.l
Old 04-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
It's not 2026. Alternators are in amps, all 12 volt. There's no way of knowing what truck you're talking about.

I suggest you abandon the bong long before you post.l
Yes, they are in amps. My mistake.

Although woefully legal here I do not partake.

Also, this post was just to generate discussion and possibly help me make a few decisions. I am really valuing any input from those first gen owners that also have 3rd or 4th gen trucks.

When it is 2026 what could the options be that we will say someone was shortsighted for not taking?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
For me, a stripper truck today is far too loaded for my tastes, so I am of no help to you.

I refuse to have a switch tell a computer to tell another computer to turn a light bulb on.

I realize this makes me a fudd, but I am old enough to have seen all the mayhem that can be created by a simple switch turning a bulb on can create, especially with Dodge wiring.

A good friend just bought a 2016 Hemi 4X4 loaded with all the toys, and let me tell you, you might as well have a college degree if you want to understand the stupid thing. It's kind of like marrying the HS beauty queen, really attractive for a couple of years, but they tend to age fast.

If it were me, I would buy a lightly loaded truck, the "girl next door" if you will that is just as beautiful 10 years from now as she was the first day.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 PM

Thanks Pat. Your response was just what I was looking for.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
For me, a stripper truck today is far too loaded for my tastes, so I am of no help to you.

I refuse to have a switch tell a computer to tell another computer to turn a light bulb on.

I realize this makes me a fudd, but I am old enough to have seen all the mayhem that can be created by a simple switch turning a bulb on can create, especially with Dodge wiring.

A good friend just bought a 2016 Hemi 4X4 loaded with all the toys, and let me tell you, you might as well have a college degree if you want to understand the stupid thing. It's kind of like marrying the HS beauty queen, really attractive for a couple of years, but they tend to age fast.

If it were me, I would buy a lightly loaded truck, the "girl next door" if you will that is just as beautiful 10 years from now as she was the first day.
^^^X2

My buddy bought a 2015 Dodge 1500 diesel and had lots of problems with it. It was real pretty and air conditioned seats are the cats meow but Dodge had it for 3 months and couldn't solve the problem of exhaust leaking into the cab. He finally had to hire a lawyer and the dealership bought it back under the Lemon Law.

New stuff is way too complicated. I DREAD having to buy today's cars 10 or 15 years from now. My buddy's 2015 Cherokee is so complicated I needed a lesson on how to start the danged thing then another on how to use the dashboard.

Remember: the base version of today's vehicles is like the LE version of our trucks plus a lot. Many of your Option Packages are geared towards electronic gadgetry (blue tooth, GPS, Sync, etc). Also remember that individual options are a thing of the past. There are only Packages anymore. My buddy was interested in in the AC seats but that was going to cost him close to $3k and included things he didn't want or need. The same with a tow hitch. The tow package was only available with the upgraded convenience (read bells, whistles, and gizmos) package for an extra $2500.
I would start by looking at a base model truck. Most dealerships don't stock them, they have to be ordered. Another option is to look at a fleet truck type package. Usually very basic amenities.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 PM

My grandpa custom ordered my current crew cab in 1984, it was 360 4 Speed. He bought the most plain Jane available at the time too.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:20 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Thiss
My grandpa custom ordered my current crew cab in 1984, it was 360 4 Speed. He bought the most plain Jane available at the time too.
Oh wow, you are one lucky dog to have that truck! Why no more long hauls or towing?

I agree with the previous posters and that may make me a luddite but I think autos have just gone crazy lately. IF I was considering a new vehickle and IF I had a budget I'd find a good old truck and just make improve,ents and upgrades. But then I like tinkering with them.

Although it's really hard to resist a feature that won't let you turn the radio on until you buckle up...
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=KRB;3302655]Oh wow, you are one lucky dog to have that truck! Why no more long hauls or towing?]

I am a lucky dog to have the old dog. My donor was a truck I had owned since 2001. My build page is somewhere in the conversions forum that has more details. This was the third crew cab that my grandpa owned. He had a '75 Bronze, '80 State Highway Orange, and then this '85 baby blue one. He operated a contract timber falling crew, and these were always his "crummy" trucks. He had the worst luck with colors. The first two he told the dealer "anything but white," and heard flack for the next five years about his ugly and cheap Dodges when everyone else had Ford's and GMCs. This one he told the dealer (same guy), "anything but white you son of a b." and the more palatable blue showed up. It was delivered just before my cousin and I were born. Both of our dad's worked with grandpa, so he had the state of the art phone to radio installed so our dad's could know when we were coming. It's a special truck and deserves a bit more rest now that it has almost 400k on it and over 300k on the donor.

Why new? I think it comes down to two huge reasons air bags and air conditioning. I can add air conditioning, but it will be a thousand dollars. Adding airbags, or any other crash innovations that have come out in the last thirty years can not be added. Case in point I had to buy a $300 car seat for one of my sons, high weight three point harness, and the next son will need one too. Just driving around town, I am more than ok with just a lap belt. Lastly, if *it happens I would like to walk away and then not worry about finding parts to rebuild a first gen which is getting harder and harder to find parts.

There also stupid little things like when my boys roll down the window, but I would rather not hear the air turbulence and ask them to roll it up but they can no longer reach the door handle.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Ah, air bags, good point. And the fact that losing a newer truck or body panels is less painfull than one of the first gens or older is another well taken.

Take care of that piece of sentimental history but enjoy it when you can.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
When you drive that newer truck you will understand much more, better handling, comfort, braking not to mention the safety.

They still have the stupid switch telling a computer to tell another computer to blink the stinking turn signals though...........