1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new/old problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
new/old problems

Has anyone else had a water pump fall out? Happened to me last Wednesday while city driving. Bottom bolt sheared off two threads below the block surface and the top ear broke off the pump. It was an easy fix, but don't know why it happened. Bolts were 8.8 grade and torqued to 18 foot-pounds. he old pump was installed about five years ago.

Second, I replaced the rear end four years ago with a Jasper unit. I had cleaned the teeth off the pinion gear on the original. It is making noise and leaking at the left hub and pinion shaft seals now and of course it is out of warranty. I pulled the cover last week and saw where the ring gear teeth are getting sharp on the leading edge. Also the shop that sold me the unit was supposed to install a limited slip however, I got stuck with another open rear and the shop owner retired and sold the business.

What Dana 80 will fit under our trucks. I think I maybe over powering the Dana 70U. I do some heavy hauling occasionally over into West Virginia.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Wonder if water pump bolts were loose and because of belt tension the pump twisted and sheared them off similar to a loose wheel before it falls off the studs.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
It would seem your water pump should have started to leak if the bolts worked loose. Is their any chance it locked up? Bearing failure or a coolant hose with wire in it that was sucked into the impeller?

I have seen several trucks that will eat up the left bearing on the ring gear carrier. It's always been a manual truck and generally one that spends most of its time loaded heavy. Is your truck a single wheel or dually? If a dually is it a cab and chassis or standard box truck? Those all make for different rear axle dimensions.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
It would seem your water pump should have started to leak if the bolts worked loose. Is their any chance it locked up? Bearing failure or a coolant hose with wire in it that was sucked into the impeller?

I have seen several trucks that will eat up the left bearing on the ring gear carrier. It's always been a manual truck and generally one that spends most of its time loaded heavy. Is your truck a single wheel or dually? If a dually is it a cab and chassis or standard box truck? Those all make for different rear axle dimensions.
The water pump bolts didn't work loose. The lower one broke and the upper one still retained part of the water pump. no warning signs.

My rig is a dually pickup with an A518 and a NP205. I just finished trying to tighten the yoke nut on the pinion shaft but it didn't move. The pinion shaft bearings have gotten real sloppy. It won't be long and they will fail completely.
This is my first and last experience with Jasper. Very disappointed with only three and a half years service from their remanufactured axle assembly. I feel that shouldn't happen after 50000 miles. I was towing about 3000 miles on the outside pulling a 12k trailer.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Wonder if water pump bolts were loose and because of belt tension the pump twisted and sheared them off similar to a loose wheel before it falls off the studs.
The lower bolt was broke off three threads inside the block. The upper bolt still was tight holding part of the pump. The pump turned freely. Best guess is the lower bolt may have been over tightened sometime in the past. The break on the upper part of the pump was fresh, no rust.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Oh by the by, my total GCVWR is usually 19,080 pounds. That is with my Ford 340B industrial tractor with a six foot mower and my 26 foot Down2Earth tag along.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM

We opened up the rear end and didn't find anything to indicate a problem except the pinion bearings were real loose like they weren't shimmed properly. The two bearings were clean and free of fretting. They do show some wear. I don't really know what caused them to loosen that much. End play and axial play was a lot. Best guess, the rebuilder didn't seat the cups properly. We had a hard time getting it right. Replaced the bearings, seal and hub seals. Also did a brake job while it was apart.
I did notice the axles are starting to twist in the splines. Next big expense will be a set of 35 spline axles and a Powertrax locker. Without me having to pull the axles again, does anyone know their lengths. Dana 70U 32 spline dually is the stock information.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
Is their any chance it locked up? Bearing failure or a coolant hose with wire in it that was sucked into the impeller?

It's still an odd failure. My water pump bearing failed without warning at about 75mph on the highway, and when the shaft cocked the ears sheared off of every vane on the impeller -- but the base of the pump (and the mounting bolts) held just fine. Unfortunately there was no limping home at that point so I got to enjoy a 70 mile ride on a flatbed. The parts guy at Cummins Power South who sold me a new water pump owns two Second Gen Dodges and told me the pumps are good for about 100,000 miles.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 PM

I bought the truck twelve years ago with 167,000 previous miles. I guess I am somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000 miles on her now. That was my third pump. First two were bearing failure and seal failure. This is the odd one. I can only speculate fatigue failure of one of the bolts from over torque. Right now everything is running normal. The bearing on the broken pump turns freely. The only physical damage is a few dings in the impeller where it landed on the radiator cross brace and the missing ear. Which was still on the block.