1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New here and need injection pump help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here and need injection pump help

I have been in and out off a lot of the post here and haven't found what I'm looking for a could use some help I have the 1991.5 d250 and it is my first diesel never really worked on them before either.... So about two weeks ago truck **** off about a block from work while I was headed home got pulled home and after messing with it for a couple days realized that the injection pump was leaking pulled it.... Priced it.... And then Bought a rebuild kit of eBay took about a week of studing stuff in here and anything online rebuilt it with out completely going crazy and I go to install I get the timing #1 top dead center and it seems like the pump key is just a hair off from the slot any suggestions I've dropped the key twice in the gear housing and pulling it apart is becoming a pain at this point and I could really use my truck it's my daily driver sorry for the story but figured you would want it all before you asked
Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rga1991
I have been in and out off a lot of the post here and haven't found what I'm looking for a could use some help I have the 1991.5 d250 and it is my first diesel never really worked on them before either.... So about two weeks ago truck **** off about a block from work while I was headed home got pulled home and after messing with it for a couple days realized that the injection pump was leaking pulled it.... Priced it.... And then Bought a rebuild kit of eBay took about a week of studing stuff in here and anything online rebuilt it with out completely going crazy and I go to install I get the timing #1 top dead center and it seems like the pump key is just a hair off from the slot any suggestions I've dropped the key twice in the gear housing and pulling it apart is becoming a pain at this point and I could really use my truck it's my daily driver sorry for the story but figured you would want it all before you asked
Don't worry. The guys on here will direct you perfectly. They are the most professional first gen mechanics in the world. I don't have an answer for ya, cause I've never been in to my ip, but I have a rebuild kit ready for when I do. I'll be watching this thread, cause if you follow the directions of these guys, your ip will be running like new. Stay tuned, and good luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I put heavy grease on the keyway, and if it pushes back, it will kling and not fall, if your gear is slightly out from teeth mating, mark the gear teeth where they mate for timing if you haven't already, and use crank bolts to slightly twist crank to align cam and pump teeth to mate and time pump, time index pin released, be patient.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I have been there....taken 2 hours of fiddling to get the keyway on the IP to line up with the gear....it's very frustrating sometimes, I know.

As sooty mentioned the grease is what I do too...as well as stuff a long rag into the front of the timing cover, under the slot for the IP and timing gear woodruff key. That can help to catch the woodruff key if it decides to bugger off.

As for getting it aligned. I will put the case in a vise, then make sure the woodruff key is in place, and the case timing lock is not tightened down. Grab some rags and wrap the shaft. Then use a small pipe wrench to carefully turn the shaft in the direction you need. Due to the cam, and the heavy springs, it is tough sometimes to get just that "hairs" movement. But you will not hurt anything if you have to go around and try again. Once you get it where you want it, tighten the lock down and try installing it again.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM

Thrashingcow that sounds good I kept thinking I could turn it and lock it down but I wasn't sure if thats what the pin was for or not.... So the pump doesn't have any sort of timing other then the timing mark on the case... Like internal timing or anything like that.. I just made sure all my adjustment bolts and what not are in The same place I took them off ....and thank you everyone else for the input been a long two weeks should of posted earlier lol
Old 02-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The pump timing fine adjust is made on the engine with a dial indicator measuring the injection piston stroke. There's a plug in the middle of the distributor. (injector lines) That's removed and an adapter inserted with a dial indicator.

Everything you need to know is in the FSM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Alright guys I got the pump on thank you for the help there but I went through all the steps of purging the fuel system from air pumping manual pump then cracking all the lines at the injectors and turned the truck over for 30secs (fuel sprayed from all six like no tomorrow) so I closed all six have it a few minutes and started again with pedal pushed half way down and it started up ran nice for about ten seconds then bounced around rough and shut off.... Any ideas?