1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Good tip for power steering "feel"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Good tip for power steering "feel"

So, you bunch of coconuts who've been here a while know I did the Reverse Rotation on my ride, and I've been very pleased with it for quite a while. I ran into a few hiccups lately, and I wanted to fill you in on a good tip the master, Chip at Power Steering Services, Inc. - www.PowerSteering.com - 1-417-739-9010 | Modern Steering For Classic Cars told me about.

Driving normal. No issues at all..

Snowplowing with my quick ratio steering..... Well, I've had issues.

It started last year, when I was plowing my commercial snow plowing jobs I had. Seems as though, when at the same location for about and hour, the PS fluid would get very hot, and actually make the steering squirrely and began to overheat. In zero degree temps, I was baffled by this issue, so over the summer, I put in a heavy duty oil cooler (like an OE trans cooler on these trucks), and the issue was much better, but not fixed. Still having the "squirrely feeling" but no more overheating. Contacted Master Chip, and he gave me some advice.

PS fluid, in quick ratio steering, when it gets hot thins out and causes the pressure to drop in the gear, hence requiring more muscle to turn the wheel. This issue goes away after being back on the highway, driving straight for about 15 minutes. The fluid cools off, and the steering returns to normal.

So, Chip suggested we do some experimenting with a few ideas he's done to correct this issue. He mentioned that big rig drivers use 30w oil in their steering systems to give a better feel to the wheel. He wanted me to start with a baseline, so he said to get all the fluid I could out of the system. I used my vac bleeder, and pressurized my return hose with compressed air to flush out any fluid in my PS Cooler (my idea, not his). After closing the system back up, he said to buy a new can of PS fluid, and premix the PS fluid with STP snake oil treatment to "increase the viscosity" of the oil. I was to mix a 50/50 ratio, and then refill the system, purging the air as normal. All I have to say is

WOW

I'm floored on how different the steering feels by doing this. Now my PS system is all new, including hoses, seals, gear and pump (all changed within the last 3 years) and I don't know what this would do to an old system, but Holy Mackerel..... The truck steers like a modern vehicle. Firm, sensitive yet not overly, responsive, but no real harsh feedback. More importantly, it feels TIGHT. It feels like my Toyota steering is now in my Dodge...

Un real the significant improvement in the way the truck steers. Now when the truck is cold, and you first get around to cruising about, the steering is a smidge stiffer than normal, but once it's warmed up..... it's SWEET !

Now to see what's happening during plowing (which I'll find out later on tonight)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Wow nice tip! What is the STP snake oil called? You still have the container? Maybe a pic of it? How do you think it would handle in my neck of the woods where 30 degrees is the coldest it gets? Should the ratio of the mix change?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this strait we mix 50/50 of this Plumbing Tools & Equipment | Drain/Pipe Cleaning Accessories | General Wire Gallon of Snake-Oil, SOG | B213989 - GlobalIndustrial.com and STP and the we take that mix and mix it 50/50 with hydraulic oil.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
So let me get this strait we mix 50/50 of this Plumbing Tools & Equipment | Drain/Pipe Cleaning Accessories | General Wire Gallon of Snake-Oil, SOG | B213989 - GlobalIndustrial.com and STP and the we take that mix and mix it 50/50 with hydraulic oil.
Your a funny guy....
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Wow nice tip! What is the STP snake oil called? You still have the container? Maybe a pic of it? How do you think it would handle in my neck of the woods where 30 degrees is the coldest it gets? Should the ratio of the mix change?
T-man is saying use STP oil treatment...."supposed to help wear by providing an added cushion between moving parts, and reducing friction"

Mix the STP 50/50 with regular power steering fluid.

I think I will try this when I pull my PS box to change out the bolts. My power steering box is about 3-4 years old, hoses are a couple years old, but the PS pump on the motor is of unknown age.

Be interesting to see what changes I notice.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
T-man is saying use STP oil treatment...."supposed to help wear by providing an added cushion between moving parts, and reducing friction"

Mix the STP 50/50 with regular power steering fluid.

I think I will try this when I pull my PS box to change out the bolts. My power steering box is about 3-4 years old, hoses are a couple years old, but the PS pump on the motor is of unknown age.

Be interesting to see what changes I notice.
ok thnx TC. I've always been a Lucas fan, and noticed awhile back that they too have a product for power steering systems but never cared to try it. Hmmm. Think I'm going to look into trying NJT/STP concoction and see what is up then go from there. Voo-Doo, Witch Dr, Oregamie stuff!!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I work on a few high performance boats, and the steering cables, which are a bit stiff when new, can almost lock up if lithium grease gets into them through improper lube procedures, which is a common problem. These are stiff heavy cables sliding in a metal sheath, protected by a heavy vinyl jacket.

I've designed a rig that will force a solvent (Sea Foam) through the cable, and I follow it up with 5W30 full synthetic motor oil. The cable then will operate with finger tip pressures. The cleaning and lubricating operation often takes 24 hours or more.

STP is just a thick mixture of tackifier and viscosity index improver. The VI component is what makes multi-viscosity oils function, ie hold their viscosity at temperature. When I go through my steering, I think I'll try using 15W40 synthetic engine oil in it unless Chip says otherwise. (maybe seal incompatibility, but I doubt it.)

Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just use strait hydraulic oil in all my power steering systems. Which is a thin oil, thick oil like STP is used for chain saw bars.
A power steering system is nothing more than any common hydraulic system.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I just use strait hydraulic oil in all my power steering systems. Which is a thin oil, thick oil like STP is used for chain saw bars.
There are multi-viscosity hydraulic oils that work well in machines that have to operate in a wide variety of weather.

What's happening here is that the pump, which is an arrangement of closely fitting gears but that certainly has clearance between the gears is used to pump the oil at high pressure. (else they would spall) If the oil is not viscous enough to stay between the gears, but blows out under pressure, the pressure drops, and performance is lost. So like a saw chain, tackiness to keep the oil in place may be the critical factor.

At lower temperatures, light hydraulic oil works fine. At high temperatures, the above said problem can occur.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by NJTman
So, you bunch of coconuts who've been here a while know I did the Reverse Rotation on my ride, and I've been very pleased with it for quite a while.

PS fluid, in quick ratio steering, when it gets hot thins out and causes the pressure to drop in the gear, hence requiring more muscle to turn the wheel. This issue goes away after being back on the highway, driving straight for about 15 minutes. The fluid cools off, and the steering returns to normal.
T-Man:

So do you think the issue was caused by the improvements Chip made to your reverse rotation steering box? That is, if one simply ordered a "normal" reverse rotation box from Red-Head Steering, would this problem not exist?

TIA.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
When we were kids, we used to say that STP was just a modern replacement for saw dust. We sure loved those STP stickers, though, I had them stuck all over the place...Mark
Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin

STP is just a thick mixture of tackifier and viscosity index improver. The VI component is what makes multi-viscosity oils function, ie hold their viscosity at temperature. When I go through my steering, I think I'll try using 15W40 synthetic engine oil in it unless Chip says otherwise. (maybe seal incompatibility, but I doubt it.)

Just a thought.
Chip said big rig truckers use a straight 30 weight in their ps systems. Not sure what multi viscosity oils would do, but if you call him hed be glad to convey his experiences

I spent fro 5:30 am to 11:00 pm plowing snow yesterday, and had no issues with. The ps system getting squirrely
Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by james1
T-Man:

So do you think the issue was caused by the improvements Chip made to your reverse rotation steering box? That is, if one simply ordered a "normal" reverse rotation box from Red-Head Steering, would this problem not exist?

TIA.
Chip said because he converted my ge as r to the "fast ratio " that his experience has been the guys who use the trucks for snow plowing may have this issue, because of the continuous back and forth movements of the wheel. It has to do with the fluid getting,too hot and thinning out, causing a reduction in pressure, hence the reason i was having to muscle the wheel after an hour on a lot. Once i got back on the road the fluid cooled and all went back to normal.

I love the way the steering feels with the STP goop in there. I prefer lucas products, but i felt deviating from Chips protocol wasnt the best idea.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
ok thnx TC. I've always been a Lucas fan, and noticed awhile back that they too have a product for power steering systems but never cared to try it. Hmmm. Think I'm going to look into trying NJT/STP concoction and see what is up then go from there. Voo-Doo, Witch Dr, Oregamie stuff!!
It tightened up the feel of the gear. The trucks steering is responsive, but feel solid. Drive a toyota truck and feel the precision in the gear. Thats what this feel like.

Id use the lucas if thats what you prefer. Its what i was going to do, but Chip wanted STP. His pump and gear, so what he wants is what i did....
Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
It tightened up the feel of the gear. The trucks steering is responsive, but feel solid. Drive a toyota truck and feel the precision in the gear. Thats what this feel like.

Id use the lucas if thats what you prefer. Its what i was going to do, but Chip wanted STP. His pump and gear, so what he wants is what i did....
Has anyone checked to see how this will work in any old system? I want to try it, but it steers so good that I am afraid to mess it up. You know, if it ain't broke......Mark

Quick Reply: Good tip for power steering "feel"