1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fummins

Old 09-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fummins not running

Hi guys looking for some help with my 93 cummins engine. I recently put it into a ford and tried to start for the first time yesterday and all of the smoke came out of the intake. (I don't have the intercooler hooked up yet) it also destroyed my starter guts. . From what different people have suggested it is either running backwards or out of time. I did remove the ve pump to re seal it and turn it up but the gear never came out. I also did head gasket and studs and put 5x0.13 DFI injectors in. Before I tore everything apart I started the engine on a pallet and it ran fine for the 15 seconds that it was running. I don't know where to start looking and was hoping someone else has had this problem and could point me in the right direction.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
You say you re-sealed the VE pump. Did you prime the pump and injector lines? There is a lever on the mechanical lift pump to fill the VE after it has lost fuel and then you have to pump it until you see fuel leaking out of the still loose nuts at the injectors. Only THEN do you start cranking. When you see fuel spurting out of ALL the injector lines then you can tighten them down and it should start.

As long as you got the keyway of the VE engaged in the gear and the timing mark lined up it's still in time.

This is why you never want to run a diesel out of fuel.

If you've done all this then make sure your started isn't turning the engine over backwards. It's not a Detroit Diesel. It won't run that way.

Edwin
Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 PM

i have an air dog fuel pump and I bypassed the the primer and fuel filter. Every injectors has fuel. The only thing I could think of is I'm running a ford tranny and starter but it spins the right way....I don't know how to upload a video or I could show you what it did
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well it's not possible for your starter to turn your engine the wrong way assuming you used the correct starter for your adapter plate. The bendix will not engage the flywheel if it's turning the wrong direction.

I bet you have one of two situations, you either made an error with your timing when you reinstalled the pump or you still don't have the fuel system properly bleed. I have had several times an engine that took a long time to get fired after installing a rebuilt injection pump. When you say you have smoke coming from the intake is that just a small portion or what you would see out the exhaust pipe? If the later than I would say you more than likley have the timing off.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Banned

Thinking about your starter being destroyed who's adapter plate and what starter are you using? What tranny and flywheel or flexplate are you using? Sure sounds like your timing is not only off but way off.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The only way I can think of "all the smoke is coming out of the intake" is if the motor was some how spinning backwards, which would not only take some serious skill, but also take some serious mis-matching of parts.

Since the motor is in a ford the real questions need to be, what transmission/adapter plate are you running and what starter are you running?

Another way to check is if you can some how manage to turn it over again tell us which way the motor is spinning when you look at the front of the motor. It's supposed to spin in a right hand (clockwise) manner

If it isn't being spun backwards then the issue is probably a leaking or non-seated valve or something of the sort. You mention you did the head gasket so it may be a good idea to check all of that

Also, like mentioned, when you put the injection pump back on the truck did you make sure the key on the pump shaft slid in to the keyway on the gear?

Lastly, what color was the smoke coming out of the intake?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM

I'm run an E4OD transmission with a Destroked adapter and flex plate.

That's the color of the smoke
Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Banned

I wouldn't try running it anymore, nearlly certain you don't have the timing correct.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 AM

My starter is fried any way. That what I was thinking too. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight....thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Take the oil fill tube off and remove the gear nut on the IP. Have a look in there and see if the key is in it's slot in the gear. If it's MIA that'll be your problem.

That's going to be the easiest way to check it. May need a good mirror and light (or camera) to get a good look at it.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 AM

So I found my problem. Three bent push rods. Only exhaust one two three. Any ideas as to why or how they could have bent? Also I checked my oil and it's runny as if there is fuel in it.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Farm1066
So I found my problem. Three bent push rods. Only exhaust one two three. Any ideas as to why or how they could have bent? Also I checked my oil and it's runny as if there is fuel in it.
Either the cam timing is way off or possibly it has had raw fuel in the cylinders that kept the valve closed when the cam tried to open it. My guess though is cam timing which lets the valves hit the pistons. Seem like it would be ALL of the rods bent though. ODD

I'm guessing that it's major tear down time.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM

Well I thought that I was out of time at the begining so I tore everything apart to check my timing and well I never took those gears apart and all the marks lined up so I'm really confused. I put new push rods in without the rocker arms hooked up and cranked it over and I assume when the cam hits them they're supposed to rise up as if to push the valve spring down? Well that didn't happen. So any ideas on that? I just don't get how it messed up because it was running before and all I did was a head gasket and studs. Super lost here. This was supposed to be easy haha
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Are the lifters moving up and down in the block? If a lifter or several were stuck at the top of their stroke then they won't go back down unless the spring pressure of the valve pushes the rocker then the rod then the lifter. Bent push rods points to something seriously wrong. I doubt that a stuck valve would bend a rod. Usually a valve will stick open then hit the piston.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 AM

I'm not sure I just dropped the rods in and cranked for a couple seconds and saw they weren't moving and walked away....ill check it out in a little bit thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fummins