1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuel tank leaking

I went to fill the tank on my 92 D250 CC today. It was exceedingly low and the pump was running at the blinding speed of 1 gallon per minute. Yeah, I timed it.

26 minutes after starting the pump I put down the book I was reading and checked on the progress. It was still going at it's glacial pace. I don't think I've exceeded 25 gallons more than a handful of times in the 20 years I've owned this thing.

Today, it slowly ticked over 27 gallons. I know the low fuel light had been on for a while but that's a lot.

Then, it ticked over 28 gallons.

That's when I heard the splashing. A little over a gallon of fuel poured off the top of the tank and splattered on the ground. It subsided and didn't make a colossal mess but there was a pool of fuel on the ground.

I'm hoping that the ultra slow pump was filling the neck and the fuel flowed out of some sort of vent. It's a little cold to be crawling under the truck today and there's no way I dropping the tank with an additional 200 pound of diesel sloshing around.

Have any of you experienced something similar before? I've never had a tank leak in this thing.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by feets
I went to fill the tank on my 92 D250 CC today. It was exceedingly low and the pump was running at the blinding speed of 1 gallon per minute. Yeah, I timed it.

26 minutes after starting the pump I put down the book I was reading and checked on the progress. It was still going at it's glacial pace. I don't think I've exceeded 25 gallons more than a handful of times in the 20 years I've owned this thing.

Today, it slowly ticked over 27 gallons. I know the low fuel light had been on for a while but that's a lot.

Then, it ticked over 28 gallons.

That's when I heard the splashing. A little over a gallon of fuel poured off the top of the tank and splattered on the ground. It subsided and didn't make a colossal mess but there was a pool of fuel on the ground.

I'm hoping that the ultra slow pump was filling the neck and the fuel flowed out of some sort of vent. It's a little cold to be crawling under the truck today and there's no way I dropping the tank with an additional 200 pound of diesel sloshing around.

Have any of you experienced something similar before? I've never had a tank leak in this thing.
I have a 91 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and it gravity feeds into the main tank. If I allow it to fill the tank completely, it will leak out from somewhere on top of the tank. If I less fill it, it never leaks, so I wouldn't worry about it...Mark
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Yep, I'm betting you were simply running out the tank vent.

BTW, I fill up at a place that sometimes has a similar issue, the pump is not getting the hose shear off valve to reset. At the place I go to, sometimes if you click off the nozzle, wait for 10 seconds and watch the hose closely or keep your hand wrapped around the hose, you can see or feel the hose pulse as the anti flow valve resets. This only seems to happen during colder weather.

I think my personal record was something like 35 minutes to pump 13 gallons...... very frustrating.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Your fuel might be leaking out of the anti rollover valve.
TSB 14-03-93

I have a leak from my tank also, but mine is coming from the big nut that retains the fuel sender.

Next time the fuel nozzle is running real slow or keeps shutting off, try this.

Take the nozzle out of the tank and lower the nozzle to the ground pointing it downwards and tap it on the concrete several times to clear any liquid diesel the sensing tube then return it to the tank and then try it, it should run at full speed now, it might take several attempts to clear it.

The automatic shutoff sensing tube inside the nozzle needs to be sucking vapor and not fuel through the internal venture pump.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
or the hole sender/fuel pickup is loose like mine was tightened the retaining ring no more leak ken
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I routinely put 27 gallons in mine. I did have fuel come out the roll over valve once on my 89 way back in the day and that was a brand new truck at the time. It hasn't happened on my 92 though. Probably nothing to worry about.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
my 90 will pour out rollover valve everytime its full , never on my 93 tho. i like it, its like an extra vent ,,
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine leaked when filled full right at the connection of the tank and fill neck. Put on a hose clamp, about 6 months ago with no further issues.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by kensmachine
or the hole sender/fuel pickup is loose like mine was tightened the retaining ring no more leak ken
Ditto on my 91.5 until I tightened the hold down ring. My 92 will sometimes leak were the previous owner tapped in a fitting on the neck for auxiliary fuel. I always fill my tanks to the vent hole at the top of the neck. If everything is tight it doesn't leak.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info.

The fuel coming out wasn't a trickle from a vent. It was pouring pretty good.

Since this is the first time it has happened and it didn't leak when I got home 1/2 mile later I won't worry too much about it.