1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Good evening fellas... been slow going to get the hub off the other side of truck to replace the bearings and seal ( work, snow, cold, etc...)

Got the drivers side hub/rotor off tonight and started cleaning the grease off everything... the bearings seem smooth and the races look fine ... no burrs, burns, or galling that I can see.

I had a heck of a time seating the new races in the other side hub sooooo, ... do I need to install the new races with the new bearings or leave good enough alone and just install new bearings leaving the old (looks fine to me) races in the hub????

Thanks again, SD
No, you are better off repacking the original bearing and replacing it. You should never run a new, or different bearing, in a used race. The bearing and race are like an old married couple, nothing else will do. Just grease it and put it back together...Mark
Old 11-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Thank you mark for the input... it makes perfect sense when you stop and think about it
Old 11-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Thank you mark for the input... it makes perfect sense when you stop and think about it
When I first started working on vehicles, after taking 2 years of vocational auto mechanics, I battled through almost everything that I tried to do. It took me 5 hours to change a power steering hose on my mother's 64 Mercury. I could do it now in about 15 minutes. The difference is that I have accumulated the correct tools, most importantly, and secondly, the correct experience. The first time you do a job, it seems impossible, the second, hard and then you can do it in your sleep. A lot of people don't like Harbor Freight because they sell some pretty badly made tools, but, it is a good start and you can improve on them as you go along. At this point in my life, I am willing to wait for shipping, in order to buy the right tools. I compare it to learning a second language, seems impossible, but one night you dream in that language and the next day, it all seems so easy. Hang in there...Mark
Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Decided to go ahead and replace the old races with new races and bearings... EASY PEASY!!

I work at a small machine and welding shop ... I'm a pastor first and a welder to pay the bills ... anyway, I asked my boss if I could borrow the press for about 10 min after work this evening... I ground down both old races much more than I did last time ... found and appropriately sized chunk of solid shafting and used it and the old race to press the new ones in place ... even had time at lunch to wire wheel the hub and get a couple coats of matte black rattle can paint on it !!!

I can't say thanks enough to the folks here at DTR and tippin my hat to you Mark for the great write up in the sticky and answering my questions along the way!!! I'm sure there will be lots more!

I purchased FSM on CD from genos last night ... excited to start reading and doing more to the old rust and rattle...

If I get this hub put back together, go for a drive and nothing explodes what should I tackle next ... hummmm, power steering pump, vac pump (very hard break pedal and heat will not switch between floor, vent, defrost) how bout the bad clunk in the rear end when I shift to reverse, maybe adjust bands in tranny change the fluid and filter, perhaps address the rotten rocker panels and floor board, maybe something easy like plug and play with a new reman ECM (which solve the tranny hunting for OD, the grid heaters, no speedometer, and the no charge issue until the old ECM gets warm) ... or maybe.... etc

Thanks again for the help ... I'll be back!!!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 PM

Just thought I would finish the posting to this thread ... seems like there are a lot of threads that are dead ends with no complete info on how the fix turned out or experience gained so here goes ...

I know most of you guys on here can probably change/service wheel bearings with your eyes closed but I new to mechanicing and really have a sense of pride and accomplishment that I'm learning to fix my own truck!!!

What I learned...
1. Look at what needs to be done and then see what you have to do if with .., never hurts to ask to use something at work from time to time (shop press made seating the races a piece of cake)

2. Listen to those that have been there done that .., I didn't what the change out the old race and just wanted to drop the new bearing in and button it up (never thought the old and new would not mate correctly) ... good advices likely saved me a headache down the road a little bit.

Front wheel bearings-photo4294966374.jpg

I know it's all inside but looks better and drives soooo much smoother!!

Thanks again DTR!