1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fix your odometer! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can ig et the gears for it
Old 08-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My odometer reads 9% slow. Wonder if these gears could be the problem.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scot pa
My odometer reads 9% slow. Wonder if these gears could be the problem.
Nah.....
That's probably the ratio adapter on the side of your tranny.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The speedo is only 5% slow, odometer 9%. I timed a mile with the needle at 60, took 57 seconds. I went about 245 miles and the odometer showed 219, not even enough to get to Indiana from where I fueled in Ohio.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
That was one of the first fixes I did on my truck about 3 yrs ago. Very easy!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

What if speedo still works

I have a '92 cummins 5 spd. Haven't pulled it apart yet but had a question. Awhile back my speedo and odo/trip would occassionally stop working. A hard bump on the road got it going again.

However, for the last few hundred miles, the odo/trip has not worked at all, but the speedo is fine.

Based on this write-up, it sounds like if my speedo is working the gears are probably not broken. I am unsure though, as there were some references to the later years having electronic speedos (which would mean only the odo/trip works off gears and could therefore still be the problem).

Not sure if this helps but my cruise control is finicky. Most of the time it won't work. But occassionally it will for about 5 minutes. Then it'll stop and take the speedo out with it.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM

check the speed sensor on the side of the transfer case. That sounds like the most likely culprit. Mine is zip tied on tight. The gear in the cluster is only for the odometer, not the SPEEDometer.

Additionally, there is the crank sensor after that. But the speed sensor on the transfer case is a classic issue that is easier to get to.

EDIT: read closer and saw your odo sometimes doesn't work when your speedo does. Might be both issues.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Did dodge change up the speedos? I have one out of a 93 and its not like the ones in the pics. The front is exactly the same but the electornics/gears on the back are diff. It doesnt ahve the plastic cover on the back either. Maybe it was upgraded at some point?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
AAARGH! I bought new odometer gears and changed them and when I turn the inside part of the motor odometer turns but when I'm driving the truck and everything is on, NOTHING! WHY!? Is the motor broken if I can take the brownish inside part out of it? It doesn't feel like metal but it has to be because there's magnets around the outside part of the motor.... Please help.

How can I test the odometer motor that is it broken?

The truck is 1990 W250 6bt 5spd.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Heey! I got it working!

Fourth time is the thing I guess

I took the speedometer out of the cluster and wired it straight to the battery.

Red is 12v+, black is 12v minus and the green is VSS signal wire. I pulsed the green vss signal wire to the minus as fast as I could and _I could see the speedo needle jumping and monitored the odometer motor at the same time, it moved but didn't turn!

So After that experiment I took the odo gears all apart again and sanded the little gear shaft overall radius little smaller and greased them well. And guess what! It works now. The odometer motor is VERY weak! So the gears have to be allmost like loose when they are on.

I hope this helps someone, shame that nobody ever can help me.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Hey there stickiers,

I am going to do mine i guess. I just swapped out a guage with a working odometer. It worked before i swapped it into my truck. I put it in and it only worked for maybe 300 miles.

Could it still be the odometer or would you think its something else.

My speedometer works. Any suggestions?? It stinks not having an odometer ya know.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Got my new gears swapped in yesterday, reinstalled, got really excited when the trip meter started rolling...but then it stopped!
Going to remove everything again and shoot some compressed air in to see if I can dislodge any loose impediments...hopefully that will be the ticket.

Last edited by BC847; 06-05-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Language
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM

If I just want too replace the small gear can I do that instead of both?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Pulled out the odometer again last night, removed the new gears, blew out the inside of the housing, turned the odometer gears manually to ensure they were turning smoothly, reinstalled the new gears into the odometer housing (without the motor being attached to the other side), got all the gears sync'ed up, then slid the motor shaft into the backside of the replacement gears, tightened it all up, used a scribe to manually turn the gears after the motor was installed and everything turned nice and smooth. i reinstalled and whammy!! my odometer works!! thanks for the help fellas!!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by McNasty
My stops working ocasionaly. I had it all apart and found nothing wrong with the gears. When it stops working I hit the dash and on it comes again. I think mine is electrical. Bad connection or something. I don't know how you would figure it out either.

BTW, greta write up and pics. I might pull mine apart again to check the gears now that I know what I am looking at.
i had a similar problem in my 94 dakota, i ended up diconnecting the barrel connectors, twisting them 360 degrees and reconnecting. the twisting force kept all the connections nice and tight. No problems for 6 years so far.

Quick Reply: Fix your odometer! (Long)