1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Engine miss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine miss?

Just seeing what yall think about this. With my current mods i think i might have to much timing on my rig. I've noticed running at 70mph if i roll into the throttle kinda heavy and at the big end of wot runs my truck seems to have a popping or miss is the best way i can describe it. I've never really noticed it before injector swap and afc reinstalled. The truck runs absolutely amazing. Tons of post, just picking some brains on timing or other hidden issues.

If yall can even see my sig. I went back on mobile site and full site to some of my previous posts and i don't see my sig. Are yall seeing it?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Signature is MIA.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Dang, i will try and fix it, thank you sir
Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 PM

That's odd, i have the box checked to show sig. I cleared and rechecked box. Still nothing?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 PM

Well it seems i have another problem all together
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Wow. It will only show my sig if i post from full site. It will not show if i post from mobile site. That stinks
Old 02-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
If this is something new, start with a fuel and air filter change and dump a load of injector cleaner in the tank.
Next, it could be your fuel pump isn't keeping up with the demand. Does it seem like acceleration fades off just before hitting the governor defuel point?
Next, you may need to play with your timing plus or minus.
Last, more air or cooler air in.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
If this is something new, start with a fuel and air filter change and dump a load of injector cleaner in the tank.
Next, it could be your fuel pump isn't keeping up with the demand. Does it seem like acceleration fades off just before hitting the governor defuel point?
Next, you may need to play with your timing plus or minus.
Last, more air or cooler air in.
I planned on a fuel filter change but psi is 8-12 during this situation. That seems to me like it would rule out the lp as well. I'm running a 2nd gen carter through a regulator and like i say fyel psi seems great. If i have to retard the timing any more I'll have to take the tooth back to stock marks as I'm all the way against the bolts on the case. I just rinsed out my afe filter so it's good. I run Stanadyne cleaner and lubricatior at every fill up. Like i said, the truck runs amazing. Their isn't any loss of power or hesitation during this issue, just popping and like a light sputter is the best way i can explain it
Old 02-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Okay, lets try and narrow this down. Is there a place you can open it up and tell me what your peak gauge readings are when you notice the issue? WOT in 4th gear. I need MPH, RPM, Boost, EGT, and Fuel pressure. I suspect, just a suspicion now, that it may be heat related. Big injectors fed by a small restrictive turbo. Remember that the more you compress air, the hotter it gets. If you are trying to get too much out of your turbo, all your blowing in excess is hot air. Something you don't need. Also, the small restrictive HE351's exhaust housing doesn't let heat out. So you could be creating a condition a kin to pre ignition within the engine.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Oh, and where are you taking your fuel pressure reading from. Pre or post fuel filter?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
Oh, and where are you taking your fuel pressure reading from. Pre or post fuel filter?
PSI is post filter. I will get full readings tomorrow with runs on the way to and from work
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Well it's only doing it in 5th gear. It's not a trans issue before anyone says it. It's definately engine. It's like its cutting out but not losing power. Its only around 70mph and i start rolling into the throttle. It only does it for for a few seconds then clears up. 75-85mph rolling throttle, 25-30 turbo psi, fuel psi never drops below 9psi, rpm rangs 2400-3000, egt never gets above 1100° which seems odd. Think my gauge might be malfunctioning. But there are the results i got today gents
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM

How do i post a video without having to paste it from YouTube. I'd rather not post a video on YouTube
Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I didn't think that the HE351 can surge -- but I have been thinking about your post for a little while, and it sure sounds like you might be describing turbo surge. Used to be a big problem with the old stock H1 turbo's and small exhaust housings. The later turbos have map width enhancement to prevent surge . . . but if you aren't feeling a shudder from loss of power, then whatever is going on probably isn't happening in the cylinders . . .
Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 PM

If it's the turbo surging i should see this on the gauge correct? Its crazy because it's only under load and always at the same rpm and speed range. I think something might have let loose in my pump though. It's just over a year old but it sure has been very smokey lately and not as peppy on the throttle at idle. Used to just tap the throttle or lever under the hood and it would rev up and down just as quick as a hot gasser but now tapping the throttle and its a little slower jumping up in rpms. Hard to explain but i think yall understand what I'm trying to say. Its just got me baffled

Quick Reply: Engine miss?