1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Diamond eye exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Diamond eye exhaust

Will the 4 inch exhaust system mount straight up to the original exhaust housing? Does it come with all the hardware?

Thanks, Tony
Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Yes it will. It has the same mount on it as the factory 3". I assume you a referring to the v-band mount. The stock rubber isolator locations need some work to use though.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,572 Posts
You will need to work / grind the bracket that bolts to the bell housing a bit to fit the larger clamp / tube as well.
I like the Diamond Eye system in general though.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
TJE

My tranny doesn't have the bell housing hangar hole....think it will still work?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by TJE
My tranny doesn't have the bell housing hangar hole....think it will still work?
Yes you do.
One of the bell housing bolts is also used as a hanger / support of the exhaust.
So yes it will work.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
IMO, decent exhaust system pipe wise, hangers/hardware that come with it; fail.

The hanger bracket at the bellhousing wont fit unless you make an extension bracket for it, which does not come with the kit. I havent directly compared them, but it looks like the Diamond Eye downpipe hangs a bit lower than the factory pipe, making use of this bracket impossible without modification.

They do not include enough hangers---at least to my liking. The original 3" exhaust uses 2 hangers at each end of the muffler, and then one near the rear outlet. The Diamond Eye only uses one hanger at each end of the muffler---puts way too much stress on the brackets and does not let the exhaust hang properly. They want you to add a separate exhaust hanger, at the outlet, which is a cheesy POS, I couldnt even use it. The outlet is also in a different location from factory, so if you have an original rear hanger, it is useless.

I recommend getting weld on hangers and band clamps instead of the U-bolt style (guillotine) clamps. I have mine installed for now with the U-bolt hangers but will be removing them and adding weld on ones soon. I am doing a custom tailpipe on mine, so the rear hanger for me is TBD.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 PM
TJE

So Daytrepper do you have a better exhaust you recommend?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TJE
So Daytrepper do you have a better exhaust you recommend?
Diamond eye is about the only choice out there for a 1st gen unless you have a system built by a local exhaust shop. Its a decent system, if you dont mind fixing the hanger issues.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Here is an old post with pictures from when I installed my 4" Diamond Eye pipe to my existing Banks exhaust system.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-pipe-311076/

This exhaust still sounds and looks great.

Not shown but I have the 4" down pipe supported off the bolt of the transmission bell housing,

I made a bracket extending downward with the 4" pipe captured with a 4" exhaust clamp.

The pipe is neutral and rigid to the engine so there is no weight or movement through the turbo flange.

One thing you will notice is you will have a few new squeaks and rattles through your exhaust system after you install this pipe.

If you were to follow the path of the new Diamond Eye pipe compared to the stock downpipe you will see the new 4” drops out below the centerline of the driveline so now as the engine shakes, it is moving at a different plane of the driveshaft and will constantly try and twist the exhaust pipe.

The only cure I could figure out was:

A) To make sure the exhaust is free and can twist with the movement of the engine.
B) Install a flexible isolator to allow some movement. (I still have not done this yet)
C) Use a section of stainless steel flex pipe to couple the downpipe to your exhaust system, this needs to be long enough to buffer the movement of the engine to the exhaust system.

Where is a good place to get a new V-Band clamp for the outlet of the turbo?
Is it a 4 inch clamp?

If you have an auto trans, it is a good idea to wrap the downpipe using header wrap to keep from melting your knuckles off while checking your transmission fluid.

Jim
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrepper
Diamond eye is about the only choice out there for a 1st gen unless you have a system built by a local exhaust shop. Its a decent system, if you dont mind fixing the hanger issues.

Gibson offers a few options, mbrp does as well, bully dog etc
Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I just installed a DE on my truck this fall. I ran into none of the issues that are listed here. Either the bell housing mount on my truck was removed or fell off because I do not remember having deal with that in any way. Also the kit I purchased supplied hangars for either end of the muffler using the factory mounts. For what I paid and the time I have into it (2 hours or so install) I am pleased with the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
I have a Stans Headers 4 inch system on my 90 W250. It fit really nice, but it was pricey. It's been on the truck for at least 10yrs and was the only bolt on 4 inch kit at the time.
mknittle (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
For the price of the diamond eye kit, even if you add 5 extra hangers, you can't beat it. I added 2 because it seems sloppy with just the few that came with the kit. Been over 2 years and everything still looks good under there. Just take your time routing the pipe around the tcase.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gyman98
Gibson offers a few options, mbrp does as well, bully dog etc
Good to know, I had a hard time finding anything else when looking for mine, and everyone recommended the Diamond Eye. Like others have said you cant beat the price even if you have to re-work the hangers.
mknittle (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
I have a Stans Headers 4 inch system on my 90 W250. It fit really nice, but it was pricey. It's been on the truck for at least 10yrs and was the only bolt on 4 inch kit at the time.
So do I. Back in the day, old Stan bragged to me jokingly over the phone about his system being the best for fit up, and he wasn't lying. Installed his kits on two of my firstGens.

There were other 4" systems, like Rip Rook, Bullydog, and a few others. Some of these systems were 4" after the down pipe. I believe you still utilized the factory down pipe, and transitioned to 4" after passing the bell housing.
Best feature about his system is the down pipe, and how he smoothly transitioned from the factory exhaust housing size to 4" before it 90'd down.

His price sure has gone up since I bought from him back in 2008.
mknittle (02-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Diamond eye exhaust