1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Deep tranny pan questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Deep tranny pan questions

The questions aren't deep but the pan is.

I've passed up several good deals on craigslist for some good deep transmission pans and maybe I shouldn't have. Here is what I'm wondering since they just offer the pans and maybe bolts:
Can I reuse oem bolts?
Do I have to get an oil pickup or filter extension?
All so far are still avaialable so I can buy a new seal so thats all the concerns that I know of.
Thanks,
Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can use the same bolts.

You do not need to run a filter extension (assuming you maintain fluid level) but it is a good idea.

It's a good time to do a filter service and you get a gasket with them.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I can tell you at least on a Mag-Hytec it depends on which trans pan you get. If you get a deep pan it doesn't come with a filter spacer as the fluid level is the located identically at the same place assuming you filled it to capacity. If you buy the double deep pan than yes it comes with the spacer as to put the filter down in the fluid. Also Mag pans come with allen head bolts.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fair enough. I didn't think about all the different pans on the market.

I used a Mopar Performance deep pan and didn't install the filter spacer. I simply added more fluid until the dipstick read properly.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my mag-hytec deep trany pan it came with an extension for the filter, I tow lots (5th wheel) and it does keep my trany temps down, also it takes about 22 quart`s of fluid to service the trany not 16 (app.) and remember when you torc the pan down its in inch pounds, not foot pounds, I have 167k on mine and my trany is like brand new inside, 3 full services so far. cheer`s
Old 04-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by feets
You can use the same bolts.

You do not need to run a filter extension (assuming you maintain fluid level) but it is a good idea.

It's a good time to do a filter service and you get a gasket with them.
How does maintaining the fluid level allow you to not run the filter extension? The location of the dipstick doesn't change once you install the deep pan correct? If the filter extension is not used what keeps the filter in place or from falling out of place?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
How does maintaining the fluid level allow you to not run the filter extension? The location of the dipstick doesn't change once you install the deep pan correct? If the filter extension is not used what keeps the filter in place or from falling out of place?
The filter is bolted to the bottom of the valve body. It isn't held in place by the pan. The dipstick measures level relative to the top of the transmission. Fluid level on the dipstick is relative to the position of all the rest of the parts in the transmission except the pan. If the fluid level is up to the line on the stick, the filter will be immersed regardless of the depth of the pan.

The extension allows some fluid loss without transmission damage, and also helps in extreme cornering, which probably isn't a problem with pickup trucks. Extreme angle rock climbing might be a factor, though.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the B&M pan it came with ss socket head bolts extension and the good reusable gasket and filter a steal for the price .
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
The filter is bolted to the bottom of the valve body. It isn't held in place by the pan. The dipstick measures level relative to the top of the transmission. Fluid level on the dipstick is relative to the position of all the rest of the parts in the transmission except the pan. If the fluid level is up to the line on the stick, the filter will be immersed regardless of the depth of the pan.

The extension allows some fluid loss without transmission damage, and also helps in extreme cornering, which probably isn't a problem with pickup trucks. Extreme angle rock climbing might be a factor, though.

On a tow pig, would you recommend a filter extension or keeping the filter in it's original spot?
I guess I'm asking for any cons on a pan with a filter extension.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy129
On a tow pig, would you recommend a filter extension or keeping the filter in it's original spot?
I guess I'm asking for any cons on a pan with a filter extension.
Cost would be the only one.