1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can someone help me identify this wire? Also, fusible link ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me identify this wire? Also, fusible link ?

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 92 D250 and am having a bit of trouble identifying the following brown wire:

I think its for the AC...it is run from under the wiring bundle against the driver front fender close to the firewall and if so connects to a relay or connector as seen above and left of #37 on the below diagram (towards the bottom).
http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/1991....ams/Scan30.jpg Can anyone point me to the connector?

Regarding the fusible link. I need to repair one of the orange links. I found the wire it goes to from the ignition switch but my question is do I splice it to the black or red wire feeding the Y block?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Scott
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That looks more like the starter relay wire to me.

The black wire feeds all the fuse links.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
That looks more like the starter relay wire to me.

The black wire feeds all the fuse links.
If it was would it start, cause it does...seems kindof self-explanatory but just wanted to make sure.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Depends on what that yellow butt connector is hooked to. Can you follow that black wire a little further?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Sorry, should have mentioned that...it's hooked to the brown wire and is an aftermarket fusible link wire (which is hooked to nothing). I bought the truck in this condition and I can't tell where this brown wire's home is. The truck runs fine but the AC doesnt blow, the headlights or front turn signals do not work, the power windows and locks do not work. The is a FL that is not connected but I know how to fix that but this brown wire is perplexing me.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Oh, I see - you have the black wire coming out of the butt connector looped around your hand.

Yes, the brown wire most likely feeds the A/C compressor relay. It's the only other brown wire in the area besides the starter relay wire. Originally it would have been on an orange fuse link along with the pink/black ignition switch feed, but it's really not critical. As long as it gets 12 volts with about 20 amps of protection it should be OK.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Oh, I see - you have the black wire coming out of the butt connector looped around your hand.

Yes, the brown wire most likely feeds the A/C compressor relay. It's the only other brown wire in the area besides the starter relay wire. Originally it would have been on an orange fuse link along with the pink/black ignition switch feed, but it's really not critical. As long as it gets 12 volts with about 20 amps of protection it should be OK.
You just made me sooooooo happy!!! Thank you a million! Indeed, the pink/black wire from switch is exposed (you can see this in the first picture I posted) and the second orange link on the Y block is indeed blown. So all I need to do is fuse the brown wire and the pink/black wire and splice them both into the big black wire feeding the Y block as seen below?

Thanks a million!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

That will do just fine.