1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cab&chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cab&chassis?

Hey guys, have a question for ya. What's a 92-93 cab& chassis 4x4 worth? I ask because the popularity of our trucks seems to be doing well, but not so much for c&c's. I own a 2x and I can mod my motor all day, but the truck, not so much. I don't mind because I'm a work/longevity first, fun stuff second kind of guy, but when it comes to the c&c's there's just not much out there. There's a farmer down the road that owns one, hauls pigs once a year. I'm thinking about asking if he'd sell it, if I promise to haul his pigs once a year. That's the only thing it's used for. It's a pretty blue. Not sure what year, but has the i/c grill. Are these models popular, and just not seen? What do you guys think?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
A 4wd cab and chassis....I can't say the last time I ever saw one of those....probably never.

The cab and chassis I do not know too much about...but Jimbo has one and sure he could fill you in with a bit of info. But I'm pretty sure the wheel base is unique, and I think the dually rear axle is a different width as well. I think because of this that most get parted out.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
A 4wd cab and chassis....I can't say the last time I ever saw one of those....probably never.

The cab and chassis I do not know too much about...but Jimbo has one and sure he could fill you in with a bit of info. But I'm pretty sure the wheel base is unique, and I think the dually rear axle is a different width as well. I think because of this that most get parted out.
And a cab and chassis will get put under a working body and run a million miles in 10 years. It's still only a 100,000 mile cab and a 35,000 mile electrical system. Not much left except the engine after that.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I have owned a few Cab and Chassis 1st gens, mostly dump trucks.
I have a '90 W350 one that has a chipper dump body on it, that I use for hauling the 12 cords of wood out of the forest I burn in the winter.
They are not as popular for long trip to grandmas house or as daily drivers, so they usually have low miles.

Trashing is correct. The rear axle is a few inches narrower than the standard dually pick up bed axles.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an 89 D350 Dump but it has the gas 360. So far, the only issues I've had with it are: Paint is shot, metal is good. Clutch "just because" while changing a frozen throwout bearing, exhaust manifold breaking bolts and studs.

It currently has about 34,000 miles on it. It was my Father's truck before I got it.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
They're not very common. I would generally say worth less than a pickup... simply because guys seem hung up having a factory pickup box on their classic trucks.

Too many work trucks just get left to die.... or get pillaged for parts. I encourage anyone who takes a shining to the C&C, to follow through with it. We all know our 1stgens can tow... but its difficult to haul a cummins-worthy load in the confines of a mere pickup box.
The following users liked this post:
Torque_Junkie (08-18-2019)
Old 02-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
They're not very common. I would generally say worth less than a pickup... simply because guys seem hung up having a factory pickup box on their classic trucks.

Too many work trucks just get left to die.... or get pillaged for parts. I encourage anyone who takes a shining to the C&C, to follow through with it. We all know our 1stgens can tow... but its difficult to haul a cummins-worthy load in the confines of a mere pickup box.
Awesome replie man. I totally agree. I love seeing a cab& chassis that's well taken care of, like mine, and I agree with everyone that it's pretty rare. I must admit that I'm intrigued by this 4x model down the road because I never see em. I bet it's low miles, but needs attention. I'm having visions of some kind of earth roamer copy. That would be soooo sweet.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I always wanted one from under a box truck to make a car hauler . Nothing could be cooler than one of those running down the road with a stock class car on the back
Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I have seen three 4x4 C&C trucks. Two were dump trucks with the normal 1yrd dump beds. The third was a super cool and probably very rare 1992 with a Hodges ramp bed on it. I cant say it was a factory 4x4 or not. If it was done privately it was done extremely well.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by crazy clem
I always wanted one from under a box truck to make a car hauler . Nothing could be cooler than one of those running down the road with a stock class car on the back
Yes sir, or a mopar powered mud bogger. Maybe a late 80's grand wagoneer limited, with the wood panel removed, fender flares, painted pitch black, sittin on 38's, 6bt powered....... just for example. Hauler would have some kind of kelderman set up of course.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by haultruck
Hey guys, have a question for ya. What's a 92-93 cab& chassis 4x4 worth? I ask because the popularity of our trucks seems to be doing well, but not so much for c&c's. I own a 2x and I can mod my motor all day, but the truck, not so much. I don't mind because I'm a work/longevity first, fun stuff second kind of guy, but when it comes to the c&c's there's just not much out there. There's a farmer down the road that owns one, hauls pigs once a year. I'm thinking about asking if he'd sell it, if I promise to haul his pigs once a year. That's the only thing it's used for. It's a pretty blue. Not sure what year, but has the i/c grill. Are these models popular, and just not seen? What do you guys think?
My truck was originally a C@C, but it has a bed on it now. It's a W350 Single Wheel. It was a pretty blue as well, but the PO painted it white. It was purchased by the CP&L electrical company(their company color was blue) as a line/linemans truck and had a, what I was told, a spool rig bed on it for running power lines. I personally have never seen another C&C OR a 1-ton single wheel 1st Gen in person and I think I've only seen a pic or two online.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I personally have never seen another C&C OR a 1-ton single wheel 1st Gen in person and I think I've only seen a pic or two online.[/QUOTE]

I know they are pretty rare but I know of three just in my home town. All three are super nice and are run daily. All three are auto's, yuk! I asked my brother who ordered his 93' why he didn't order a W350 single wheel. He said he discussed with a salesman at the steelership what the difference was between a 250/350. He said the emblems, heavier spring packs, 3" wide brake shoes, and 1 1/8 dia wheel cylinders. The price difference wasn't worth the items. My parents bought their 92' off the showroom floor at Shively Motors in Chambersburg PA. Their only regret was they didn't get a cc. It sitting rust free and only 67k miles on it. I wish they would have ordered a W350/CC/5spd. But my mom couldn't drive a stick and dually wouldn't fit in their garage;(
Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freight train
I personally have never seen another C&C OR a 1-ton single wheel 1st Gen in person and I think I've only seen a pic or two online.
I know they are pretty rare but I know of three just in my home town. All three are super nice and are run daily. All three are auto's, yuk! I asked my brother who ordered his 93' why he didn't order a W350 single wheel. He said he discussed with a salesman at the steelership what the difference was between a 250/350. He said the emblems, heavier spring packs, 3" wide brake shoes, and 1 1/8 dia wheel cylinders. The price difference wasn't worth the items. My parents bought their 92' off the showroom floor at Shively Motors in Chambersburg PA. Their only regret was they didn't get a cc. It sitting rust free and only 67k miles on it. I wish they would have ordered a W350/CC/5spd. But my mom couldn't drive a stick and dually wouldn't fit in their garage;([/QUOTE]

Yes, mine is an auto. Yuk, I know. It's actually currently out of commission awaiting a rebuild. I bet a 5spd in that configuration is rarest of rare.
By the way, If anyone has 4wd getrag parts please let me know.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I remember reading they have a 4" longer wheelbase, came with the 8" frame, and it was probably 1/4" thick steel as well. Also, the CTD/727s might have come with 3.55 gears, whereas 250/350s w/ 727 would get 3.07 gears typically
Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A local fire department has 92 C&C W350 dually. It has a line bed and is rigged as a brush truck. It is spotless. It only leaves the building for brush fires. I'll bet it doesn't have 20k on it. It is a 5 spd truck.

I also keep a watch on surplice equipment sales from local fire departments.

Quick Reply: Cab&chassis?