1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Borgeson shaft safety alert!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Set screws on a steering shaft is crazy stupid.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
That's what my race car uses to hold the joint to the rack. It's a solid shaft that slides in a tube with nylon bushings. I check it a lot.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by comotionman
Set screws on a steering shaft is crazy stupid.
I'm going to check with my local inspection facility and see if this is even allowed here. I know you can not have any straight welded components from the column to the steering box. Splined, then welded is OK. But even the connection at the steering box has to have the roll pin...no bolts.

I know this due to me trying to use a homemade steering shaft. It was made from combining a steering U-joint from a 83 Toyota, and the stock steering shaft. It did away with the steering shaft to steering box coupler. But when I went for inspection they said it was a big NO NO!

Thankfully I had the old one, which I had rebuilt, so I tossed it back on and away I went.

Again these are laws, and rules for my local area...your's may be different. Please check before doing any type of steering gear modifications that are not stock.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I drilled right through my borgeson and then pounded a spring dowel pin in there.

That was after my steering box worm gear decided to just explode. Truck took a hard left into the other lane and I ended up in a farm field before I stopped.

Borgeson made that steering unit.. which was made in China. I gave my old OEM gear to redhead steering and Harvey sent me one already made. That was in 2008, I've never had a problem since red head.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just throw the dodge steering box in the scrape pile.
Get chevy box mount that on the dodge then get the the steering shafts out of a 3rd gen chevy C/K and a jeep XJ

All the info you need is in these two posts.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...x-t299031.html

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2-t301769.html
You do not have to do the RRSG swap to do this. this will work on your 2wd 4wd and C.O. steering systems
Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Adding to above post make sure you grab a newer chevy box with the metric power steering hose threads That's what your dodge is.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old thread, I know, but from what I've read, no one has verified if Borgeson has made any changes to their design yet. At this point, it's been almost eight years since this was originally posted. I own the shaft pictured below, and I had a thought to fix any potential problem.

I plan on drilling a hole into (but not through) the splined end of the factory steering column. I will then install the Borgeson shaft, thread a tap into the setscrew hole, and then tap the newly drilled hole so a longer setscrew can engage both the Borgeson and Dodge parts. I'll buy a longer setscrew if I need to. See the pic below if you're confused. This will keep the u-joint from ever sliding off. The setscrew will experience minimal torsional loads, mostly single-shear stress.
Attached Thumbnails Borgeson shaft safety alert!-borgeson-000943.jpg   Borgeson shaft safety alert!-borgeson-fix.jpg  

Last edited by 69HemiGTX; 01-29-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Updated blueprint
Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 69HemiGTX
Old thread, I know, but from what I've read, no one has verified if Borgeson has made any changes to their design yet. At this point, it's been almost eight years since this was originally posted. I own the shaft pictured below, and I had a thought to fix any potential problem.

I plan on drilling holes into (but not through) the splined ends of both the factory steering column and steering box. I will then install the Borgeson shaft, thread a tap into the setscrew holes, and then tap the newly drilled holes so a longer setscrew can engage both the Borgeson shaft and Dodge parts. I'll buy longer setscrews if I need to. See the pic below if you're confused. This will keep the u-joint from ever sliding off. The setscrews will experience minimal torsional loads, mostly single-shear stress.
Mine has been installed since '05 without issue, but let us know how it comes out...Mark
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 69HemiGTX

I plan on drilling holes into (but not through) the splined ends of both the factory steering column and steering box. I will then install the Borgeson shaft, thread a tap into the setscrew holes, and then tap the newly drilled holes so a longer setscrew can engage both the Borgeson shaft and Dodge parts. I'll buy longer setscrews if I need to. See the pic below if you're confused. This will keep the u-joint from ever sliding off. The setscrews will experience minimal torsional loads, mostly single-shear stress.
DONT DO THATThe steering box shaft is hollow and flows with fluid
Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 AM

I see in you sig you have a second gen truck the stock shaft is a BILLION times better than that borgeson
Old 01-29-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bobva
DONT DO THATThe steering box shaft is hollow and flows with fluid
Thanks for the heads up. I actually think it would be redundant to do it to the bottom shaft anyways because gravity will keep it on. I'm definitely going to do it to the top. Oh yeah, I need to update my sig. This is going into a 78 crew cab dually that's getting a Cummins 4x4 swap.

**I've since updated my previous post IAW Bobva's advice and signature, even though my sig won't show up here.**

Last edited by 69HemiGTX; 01-29-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Updated previous post and sig
Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM

I notice the Borgeson kits have two set screws in their couplers. Such as the below. Different design as this uses an adapter between the input / worm shaft and the steering cardan joint.
Attached Thumbnails Borgeson shaft safety alert!-borg.jpg  
Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SeaW250
I notice the Borgeson kits have two set screws in their couplers. Such as the below. Different design as this uses an adapter between the input / worm shaft and the steering cardan joint.
That is how mine looks, except mine has the rag joint...Mark
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Just to verify on the back and forth concerns of the safety alert- I've read all 5 pages on this topic and all seem to be, if I am correct, pertaining to the double U joint type of Borgy steering shaft. When I ordered mine, I gave the model year truck and in the mail I got the one with the flange type for the rag joint. I bolt it up her instructions, and I slide the sliding coupler all the way upwards to bump onto the female portion of the sliding shaft, the side that houses the rag joint. Where is the problem? Been since 2008 since I installed my Borgy. All original set screws were replaced with longer ones so locknuts dipped in lock tite could be added.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigragu
Just to verify on the back and forth concerns of the safety alert- I've read all 5 pages on this topic and all seem to be, if I am correct, pertaining to the double U joint type of Borgy steering shaft. When I ordered mine, I gave the model year truck and in the mail I got the one with the flange type for the rag joint. I bolt it up her instructions, and I slide the sliding coupler all the way upwards to bump onto the female portion of the sliding shaft, the side that houses the rag joint. Where is the problem? Been since 2008 since I installed my Borgy. All original set screws were replaced with longer ones so locknuts dipped in lock tite could be added.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson shaft safety alert!