1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Borgeson shaft safety alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
how are you collect on warranty work when your dead!
If I die it will not be from this, mine will never come apart unless I hit something that would have broke the stock part anyway. Thanks for the optimism though.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ace

http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/CTD_94.jpg

Not sure why you guys are moving that set-screwed collar, maybe I didn't read the instructions. Didn't look to me like it was intended to be moved, or used as shown above. That would interfere with the rubber boot.
I like the way you fixed yours that looks good, I just didn't see how that small lock collar does anything at the bottom next to another collar with two set screws in it some of them don't even come with it. I might weld mine at the bottom leave the collar at the top so I can get it off easily to get to my steering box if I need too, having it welded would make it a pita to get off. I am going to find a shock boot to go over the whole thing any ways so the little boot is not needed. I originally installed mine just as the instructions that came with it. This shaft is much better than the original for sure!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

What is the curious looking valve on the frame-rail for??

Or, is it just there to make little boys ask questions??

Also, upon serious consideration, if the slip-shaft is welded/pinned, such that it can no longer move at all, then how is the universal joint going to function properly??

Something will have to give, or something is eventually going to break.

Think about it.

With the original Chrysler coupling, the flex is taken care of inside that silly coupler-box.

When a U-joint articulates, especially at an angle, something has to move to allow it to function.

Am I right??
Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, I'll run out and have a look at mine right now, ...I take 1stGen545's point about Dodges, but I think part of the problem is the engine/powertrain are so long-lifed that the rest falls apart for age. My headlight electrics are shot, viscous fan locked up, speedo sending apparatus farmers-fixed etc etc, but I'm still delighted with the truck for what it's good at.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory column is capable of colapsing ( under impact) as has been stated earlier. But I believe this issue to be a Dodge problem. My steering shaft came apart with factory parts. The injected palstic in the upper part of the steering shaft had broken (prior to my ownership) and allowed the shaft to separate. Now I am not recomending the followowing repair but I fixed mine by removing the shaft from the column and repositioning to the proper location. Drilled an installed 3 Aluminum pop rivots (2 opposing 1) in the shaft. This will hold the shaft together and hopfuly collaps under impact. Hard fastening the Borgesen parts will cause bind and early failure due to non-complience from chassis flex and cab movement (the secondary use of the Rag joint).
Fix your column not your borgesen
Old 02-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the rag joint should be enough to allow for chassis flex. The only flex I can imagine on that shaft would be due to the cab mounts, not much. It's not as if it's like a suspension moving up and down on a driveshaft, or spinning at several thousand rpm either.

Bearkiller, that is my fuel selector valve.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed a Borgeson shaft. But just prior to installing it, I noticed a spring loose on the bottom of the steering column. After putting the Borgeson shaft, first drive around the block was quite interesting. Down the alley, left hand turn, left hand turn continued over the curb. Glad there wasn't some poor soul coming down my way because I wouldn't have been able to dodge 'em. I would have had to ram 'em. The shaft slid down far enough to let the rag joint catch on the edge of the inner fender. I don't feel like the problem is at all with the Borgeson shaft. The steering column is made to collapse in a wreck and whatever holds the telescoping shaft inside the column failed allowing the bottom of the column to come apart. The original joint down near the steering gear is made to move some in the same direction the Borgeson does when it telescopes. There has to be some movement in that direction to allow for flex between the frame, rubber cab mounts, etc. Since something was missing from the bottom of my steering column before I installed the Borgeson shaft, I am not sure what I need to replace or modify. Anyone got any pictures of the bottom of the steering column or what holds it together?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Check Winr's post a couple posts up for what holds the column together. You will either need to lock the Borgeson so it can't collapse, or get a new steering column.

The "problem" is a Dodge problem, but Borgeson did not account for the possibility of it happening when they designed their shaft. Poor engineering on their part, IMO.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 PM

HTML Code:
Poor engineering on their part, IMO.
They have to assume the rest of the truck will hold together...they can't assume responsibilty for the entire vehicle's integrity.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Has Borgeson changed the shaft since the incident? On mine all that keeps the steering column from falling out is the locknut on the sliding shaft. My steering column shaft came clear out when I put my Borgeson in with both ujoints.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM

Does this have anything to do with a Chrysler recall stating
The steering wheel armature on the above listed vehicles, may crack due to fatigue and separate from the center hub attachment to the steering column. All vehicles must be inspected for armature cracks and all cracked steering wheels must be replaced. An anti-separation plate must be installed on all steering wheels without cracks to prevent separation if future armature cracking occurs. We have received a great deal of phone calls regarding this recall. If Chrysler believes that your vehicle is involved, they will send you notification via mail. We do not have any more information at our disposal to indicate if your vehicle will or will not be involved in the recall. Thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Shaft fall off !

This thread has been very helpful. My shaft has fell off twice recently. Both times the Borge joint that slips onto the the splines at the upper end next to the firewall slipped completely off giving a no steering situation, and both times it happened right after hitting small (2" concrete berm once and pile of snow the second time) obstacles at very low speed (about 2-3 mph). This was a pulling apart type movement at the top spline which overpowered the setscrews ability to hold. Actually about the same jolt as sometimes felt at a railroad or bridge crossing or maybe less. I beleive that the shaft actually needs to slide a little to allow for flexing so took it off the truck and lubricated the rusted shaft and reinstalled. I notice on mine the bearing inside the factory shaft is quite sloppy and will look into making a repair. Dealer says replace the whole shaft, and now I must inspect to see if I have a danger of that shaft coming completely out or way down if I understand this thread correctly. My personal experience with calling Borge was not too good for finding a solution so this thread has been a big help.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Chapter President

????????????????????????????????????

So, I really need the shaft upgrade,

As I understand it there is some sort of spline set up in the column that is held together by some sort of plastic snap ring or other type of retainer, and if it fails it will shorten? and thus allow the borgeson to fall off or is it an extension then a collapse,

For that matter what falls off???

I read through and looked at the pictures, but I am still confused!

Is it the fact that the new shaft can collapse far enough to allow the double spline piece in the column to fall apart?? Is that why the collar idea works it limits the collapse of the shaft splines?

I am a firm believer that the shaft needs some play in the splines to allow for differences in flex, and yes they do and will flex.

Could somebody slowly and clearly spell this one out and the correct course of action for me, PLEASE?????

Thank you.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Get the Borgeson and install it. Then put a tack weld where it can collapse. The tack weld will keep the column from falling apart, but everything will still collapse in a crash,
Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that's scarry

Quick Reply: Borgeson shaft safety alert!