1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Super nice write up!!!!
Thanks, Jim
Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jim, would you be willing to mark up a schematic for those of us that do not have A/C?

I would like to upgrade my non-A/C blower wiring.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Checking this wiring diagram I do not see any reason this would not work on a Non-A/C truck.

The relay circuit is connected to the Hi speed terminal of the blower switch that should be common to both A/C and Non-A/C trucks.

Name:  BlowerMotorDiagramwithrelayuntitled.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  112.5 KB

The only difference would be in the A/C & Heater vacuum switch which on a Non-A/C truck would not have the MAX and MAX A/C settings.

Name:  IMG_2386.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  86.6 KB

If there is some reason you think it would not work let me know and I can recheck it.

Jim
Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. It may very well work, i just dont have the schematic for a non-AC truck so i was unsure if it would be different.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Next question, could you just use one relay and have it just upstream of the blower switch. This would give full batt. voltage to the blower switch and give all blower modes a boost instead of just high?

The blower switch may still cause a small voltage drop but i think it would be minimal.

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a good idea to keep the high amperage loads off the switch. If you increase the amperage through the switch it could overheat.

Do the little bit of extra work so you don't burn your truck down.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the middle of this conversion and cannot find where the #87 connector on the k2 relay goes. Where are the blower motor connections!! Help!!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM

come on guys I'm stuck here
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stillsmokin209
come on guys I'm stuck here
Hey sorry didn't see you hanging there.

Term #87 from K-2 connects to the (+) 12ga Dk-Green lead of the blower motor out under the hood.

Under the hood, look at the blower motor cover and the follow down about 6 inches and you will find a 2-blade connector, this connects the motor to the harness, be sure to connect your lead from Term. #87 to the Dark Green wire on the motor side of the connector preferably.

If you were to connect to the 12ga Black wire it would be a dead short

At this time you need to also upgrade your motor ground wire on the motor side of the connector to get the full benefits of this upgrade.

Term. #30 connects to your Battery (+) I used a 60-amp fuse, be sure to route this wire carefully as it can cause great damage if it shorts to ground.

Name:  BlowerMotorDiagramwithrelayuntitled.jpg
Views: 4662
Size:  112.5 KB

When connecting my blower to the heavy gauge wire I used bronze split-bolts to make the connection and then insulated them well.

Like these at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

K-2 relay, I would strongly recommend using a 75-amp Power relay here because the 30-amp can get quite hot during operation.
^^^^^^

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM

thanks Jim, I have tried looking all over for the two pin connector under the hood and can't find it for the life of me! also I will have to change to a 75amp relay in the coming days, as I'm going out of town for work and the 40amp relay is in place
Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 PM

got it working, but now only the high setting moves any air, low and medium don't do a thing. What now?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
I wanan do this but Im confused. I see in the diagram you have 2 relays but in your pic you mounted 3 on the piece of plexiglass..

What is the 3rd relay for and where does it come into play?

What did you do with the burnt brown wire from the fuse box in the beginning?

I am electronic stupid until i do soemthing myself. I apologize for all the questions.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stillsmokin209
got it working, but now only the high setting moves any air, low and medium don't do a thing. What now?
Did you remember to reconnect the blower connector, it also has to be connected for the lower speeds to work.

Jim
Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zack_76401
I wanan do this but Im confused. I see in the diagram you have 2 relays but in your pic you mounted 3 on the piece of plexiglass..

What is the 3rd relay for and where does it come into play?

Only 2 relays are used in the blower motor modification, the 3rd one is for my Cycling Switch Delete.

What did you do with the burnt brown wire from the fuse box in the beginning?

I spliced the burnt wire to get it out of the fuse panel where it was then fused and connected to my power relay that controls all of the ignition circuits of the fuse panel.

I am electronic stupid until i do something myself. I apologize for all the questions.
Hey don't worry about it, there are also some things that I don't know about.

Jim
Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Jim for all the work you put into this to help out others. I have been wondering for a long time how in the world to get more power out of that fan and came across this today!

I am eager to put it together since I am starting tomorrow to install a whole new interior.

The one thing I don't yet understand since I am not too familiar with electronics, is the 3rd relay already there somewhere? You have 2 on the parts list and 3 on the mounting board. Where did the 3rd come from? I guess the one all the way to the left.... Sorry for my confusion! It looks very complicated to me (like I said I don't mess with electronics much) but hopefully by going through your diagram over and over, I will figure it out!

Quick Reply: Blower motor