1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Big Truck Little Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by bannerd
... when I get it back on the truck I'm going to fluid film it...... .
FF ?

Just don't put it on your wiener ...... that's what this guy did and he's been in trouble ever since...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I use fluid film all the time. The problem I find is that it does eventually wear off. So not sure how long you'll go before things start rusting again.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I use fluid film all the time. The problem I find is that it does eventually wear off. So not sure how long you'll go before things start rusting again.
It depends on how much water exposure whatever you're putting it on has.

My plow blade used to get a coat on it, but after a season of doing so, the blade loses all the FF before the first round of plowing. The mount, carriage, a-frame, and other parts still get it, as it stick around for a while on there. I've used it on the door locks in my truck, and since they're really not exposed, it lasts for a couple of years or more. It works great on Roll up door wheels and latches, although as per the usual with any type of lubricant that isn't considered "dry", it attracts dirt.

Best of all .... the smell ! Yeee Haw ! Dogs just go crazy over it...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM

Yeah that Fluid film does smell good.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
yeah, you have to put it on every season. haha, that was a nice commercial!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Hey guys, my speedo bounces like a big boobed lady. It will bounce from 0 to 50mph and so on. I replaced the VSS sensor in the transfer case but it still is doing it. I'm thinking my speedo is shot in some way. I was thinking about installing an autometer or a third party speedo.. any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Hey guys, tore my speedo apart and check the plastic gears. All seem fine, I added some grease to it so that it doesn't get stuck and has some lube. Looks like someone cut the plastic all to hell on it. I might need to source one of these in the future if I can't get it to work. On a later note, I repainted the inter-cooler and engine gloss black. Working on the cummins cover. I'm thinking about these for the color scheme of these truck. Black with olive.

I really like the olive/green color. These will be the color of my inter-cooler pipes (Which had a ton of corrosion on them) loving the color.

As a side note, be very careful with wire wheels.. mine went through my leather glove and destroyed my skin tissue to my bone. After going to the ER and waiting a few hours I left with no service. I put some super glue to hold it together and upon waking up this morning it looks like I'm healing fast.

I always wear safety glasses and protective clothing. The leather gloves were made in china which are not leather. The wire wheel demolished the glove. If anything wear glasses with these wire wheels. You don't want wire in your eye. Better yet, a full face shield.

Hows that for a thumbs up?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 AM

Hey guys, so I'm into my engine wiring harness.. It's bad.. the more I get into it the more I don't even want to think about it. So many wires have been cut and twisted together then taped. Nothing splice, and solder or crimped. If anyone has a wiring harness I will be willing to spend the money then trying to go through this one.

Let me know. If not I guess I might need to take a day from work and really hammer at this one.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM

Your thumb looks a bit chewed up...been there myself. Those coarse wire wheels spinning at 10K RPM can really do some damage, and quickly....as you have found out.

I've had on eye protection before while grinding and using a wire wheel, and still ended up with a piece of metal imbedded in my eye. I always were leather gloves, and eye protection now.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Well, I have all the body panels organized in my basement. I haven't posted in awhile but honestly, I'm into the hard work now. Sanding, priming... sanding and more priming. I've been using zinc spray paint, or tremclad (rustoleum) then a acid etch primer.. and the final coat will be a majic paint industrial primer. So far this is what I have on the inner fenders.

I also need to weld some minor cracks in the inner fenders but I have to thank simplysmn for giving me something to work with.

The doors I have are rusted really bad. I'm not sure if I'm going to cut out the rot or just replace the entire door.

The good news is my fenders are brand new.. I'm pretty sure because there is a sticker on it that says made in japan. Unless they were manufactured there. Needless to say they're in good shape, just need to spot weld a few places where it split. The cab is mint so I'm going to keep working on that. I need to find a heater for my small garage. Winter has finally came and it's pretty cold. I was thinking about a wood stove or one of these;

http://www.allproheaterparts.com/

Until then I've been living in my basement,
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM

This truck is going to be show quality when you're done. You'll have to post pix of the awards you win from the local car clubs.....as I'm sure you'll have the nicest 1st gen around...
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
About the thumb thing, correct or not when I'm buffing or wire wheeling on a bench grinder I take of the tool rest, it makes it twice as bad to get your thumb caught between it and the wheel, it just holds it there while continuing to chew.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
I was always taught to never wear gloves when operating tools or machinery that operate at high RPM because if a glove gets caught you are F#**%d. Specifically wire wheels
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
OSHA, "Do not wear gloves, jewelry, or loose-fitting clothing while operating grinding machines and secure long hair in a net or cap."

"Safe work procedures are formal, written instructions which describe how a task is to be performed. These procedures should incorporate appropriate safe work practices, such as prohibiting employees from wearing loose clothing or jewelry and requiring the securing of long hair with nets or caps. Clothing, jewelry, long hair, and even gloves can get entangled in moving machine parts."

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OS...l#Controlling9
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
I was always taught to never wear gloves when operating tools or machinery that operate at high RPM because if a glove gets caught you are F#**%d. Specifically wire wheels
High RPM, Low RPM, if we catch you wearing gloves even running a grinder, you get written up until you get the message or get fired.

Gloves and moving machinery are generally a no-no.

Quick Reply: Big Truck Little Garage