1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Big Truck Little Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Big Truck Little Garage

I started an complete over haul of my truck this spring. So far I've sand blasted everything from the frame, engine and cab. Unfortunately I found out the cab was rotted through so I ended up doing many hours of MIG welding, grinding and more. The story begins with me picking up a little gas driven air compressor. I own a shop with a lift and many tools to my fingers but the drive is an hour away. With fuel prices it would kill my wallet so I decided to take this project on inside my little garage. The air compressor costed me about $90 on CL. So far it has proven itself and paid for itself already on odd ball jobs.

So to start, the cab bottom was rusted out at around %80. I didn't want to trash the cab only because the rest was 100% rust free. I ended up applying zinc (cold galvanized) paint to everything and then coating it with majic paint heavy rust and then wurth body sealer. Keep in mind that I sand blasted everything to bare metal and even the new metal I scuffed up with 80grit and zinc, painted and coated. Also seam-sealed all my welds with napa black seam sealer.

The inside came out rather nice;

I just layed down the zinc on this... haven't really done much work on the inside of the cab as of yet.

Here is pictures of the space I'm working with.

Currently in the middle of re-sealing my getrag and rebuilding my NP205. Stay tuned.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Also, I've been doing some testing with majic paint on the back of my truck bed. I'm thinking I will do the glossy black. The paint doesn't have the clear coat on it but this is how it came out. I think it looks very sharp.

Truck bed is going to need new panels so that will be another project. I might just try and find a junk yard bed..it is very rusted

Also, since this will be the start of my project I need to list all the new parts I have put on my truck.

Red Head Steering Gearbox
Dodge Brace for steering Gearbox
Parbolic Springs Front
Rear Heavy Duty Leafs
Thanks to; http://www.customsuspension.com/
Denny-T Fuel Pin ST2 with 3200 spring
Complete Re-seal of VE-PUMP
New Radiator

Parts In the Stock Pile;

Yukon kingpins,seals , bearings for Dana60 overhaul

Wanted:
Ox air Locker for dana60.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Nice work, looks really nice!
I have been wondering about the majic paint. It looks pretty good.

Too bad the dodge beds aren't like the old Chevys (bolted together)
I have a front panel that needs replacing.I think I will make one.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Looks real good! Keep up with the updates we all like them!

On my crew project the front panel needed replacing, it was taken from a 74 box that had a mint front. Something to consider when you guys are looking for panels
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Well your shop is not that bad. I have a single car garage and a driveway to do my work in.

Looks good so far. What the deal with this Majic paint?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well your shop is not that bad. I have a single car garage and a driveway to do my work in.

Looks good so far. What the deal with this Majic paint?
What do you mean? How much? picked up a gallon of paint for under $30.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
What do you mean? How much? picked up a gallon of paint for under $30.

Seen a few references to this Majic paint...is there a particular benefit to this stuff, over other types of paint? Is it a regular..."spray out of a gun" type paint?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Seen a few references to this Majic paint...is there a particular benefit to this stuff, over other types of paint? Is it a regular..."spray out of a gun" type paint?
It is an alkyd enamel like Rustoleum it is sold at Tractor supply as an implement paint.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
It is an alkyd enamel like Rustoleum it is sold at Tractor supply as an implement paint.
Ahhh I see...thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Best bet is to pickup a quart for $8. Stuff is crazy durable. I guess it fades fast unless you use their clear coat. Three part system. Paint, catalyst and thinner.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

I think it would be way better than water born paint for the chassis. And at $30 a gallon plus clear coat that is still cheap.

The thing is if you have a $1000 into paint on a 4X4 you won't want to use it. defeating it's purpose!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM

As many of you know, I cracked my transfer case pretty good. After talking to Roy from quad4x4 he hooked me up with a new case and a gasket kit. Five hours later this is what it looks like;

Big Truck Little Garage-20131019_195258.jpg
Big Truck Little Garage-20131019_195306.jpg

Thew new case was so much thicker than my older one and they really beefed up the cast on the top.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM

So these are brand new castings then? Looks good. I took a lot more then 5 hours to re-assemble mine....
Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 AM

So these are brand new castings then? Looks good. I took a lot more then 5 hours to re-assemble mine....
Brand new casting, I think I got ahead of you as I already put new seals and bearings throughout the unit when I cracked mine. It was just a matter of swapping things in and out of it. My only problem is now, I can't lift the transfer case out of my basement. I'll have to get my brother over to give me a hand, didn't have much of a problem with the old case. I'm not going to paint the case, when I get it back on the truck I'm going to fluid film it. See how well it protects the transfer case.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All the effort will be well worth it in the end, looking great!!

Quick Reply: Big Truck Little Garage