1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best way to remove exhaust manifold bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Best way to remove exhaust manifold bolts?

Hey guys, I was wondering what the best approach to removing exhaust manifold bolts is. Truck has 200k on it and the manifold seems appropriately rusty. I has been sitting for 5 or 6 years. My goal is to spin them out with out snapping any off in the head.

I've been soaking them with 50/50 ATF/Acetone, PB Blaster, and or Freeall off and on for several months now.

My plan was to let the truck idle for 15-20 mins and try to loosen the bolts while they're hot or at least pretty warm.
Any thoughts, tricks, or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm replacing the stock manifold and bolts with an ATS 3 piece manifold and grade 12.9 studs. Also installing my upgraded HX35 and 4 inch exhaust too.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I would use heat on them if your afraid they may break in removal, just use only what's needed to get them loose.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Seems like you have been doing everything I would have suggested. I might have been throwing heat cycles at the bolts with a small Oxy/Map gas torch between penetrating fluid schedules.

I use one of these....

The running it and loosening them while warm is a good idea as well.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Seems like you have been doing everything I would have suggested. I might have been throwing heat cycles at the bolts with a small Oxy/Map gas torch between penetrating fluid schedules.

I use one of these....

Yup, I've got 3 of them.

one for the shop, and two for the work truck. They make the stubby bottles now, so they're not as tall, and can get into tighter spaces.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to remove exhaust manifold bolts?-fat-boy.jpg  
Old 11-15-2016, 12:14 AM

BTW,

Don't google stuff that you don't want to find.

Oh, my..... read this DEFECT

or this: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81169
MrFusion (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Take the truck for a ride and get the EGT's up a little. When you get back from a nice drive, hit the bolts with a impact gun.

Always remember, tighten, loosen, tighten , loosen. You don't want to twist the bolt off or you'll have some issues
MrFusion (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I have taken off dozens and dozens of original manifolds with the rustiest looking bolt before.
They don't usually give you as much of a problem as you would expect.
I use my cordless impact on them after soaking them with PB Blaster. You can spray them from the back side of the head as well.
If they seem to be not be moving after a few blips of the impact, I add some heat.

I have never tried to run the motor first to heat them up, but I like that idea.
I am usually working on a motor that is out of the truck already and sitting on my shop floor when I pull those.
MrFusion (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
while soaking with PB tap the bolt heads with a smallish hammer. Not too hard all you want to do iss setup a little vibration. It helps to break up the rust.
MrFusion (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
BTW,

Wow....that is some serious stuff! Thanks for posting that up T-man!

I have been using those bottles for years, and never knew they were a time bomb. Will be double checking them from now on, and might put a small flame resistant cover over the crack prone area to be a little safer.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
Take the truck for a ride and get the EGT's up a little. When you get back from a nice drive, hit the bolts with a impact gun.

Always remember, tighten, loosen, tighten , loosen. You don't want to twist the bolt off or you'll have some issues
Wish I could! Truck is far from road legal and not really road worthy. I move it around my yard and occasionally the road in front of my house. I figured I'd let it idle for 30mins and maybe run it up and down the road a few times before I try to loosen the bolts. I definitely DON'T want to have to drill broken bolts out.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
BTW,

That's terrible. Thanks for the heads up on it. Fortunately I have a Victor OxyFuel set up if I need the heat wrench! I'm trying to avoid that though.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:31 PM

I use one of these....

Does driving the truck around the yard and up and down the street between dousings of penetrant count as heat cycles??? Been doing that a bit.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:10 PM

Wow....that is some serious stuff! Thanks for posting that up T-man!

I have been using those bottles for years, and never knew they were a time bomb. Will be double checking them from now on, and might put a small flame resistant cover over the crack prone area to be a little safer.
After looking at the photos of the dudes who got blowed up, I'll never look at one of those containers again. I have to remember to get them OUT of my truck tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

When using heat to assist the removal process, where should the heat be applied? That is, should the flame be directed at the bolt head, the manifold, or the cylinder head? How exactly does heat help rusted parts began to separate?

TIA
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Heat tends to cause the metal to expand a bit and creates a bit more space between the threads so they are looser and slide past each other easier. Rust expands between the threads making them tighter than they should be and binding them together.

Another benefit of heating and cooling cycles is that the associated expansion and contraction of the metal can sort of break the rust bond between pieces.

Where to apply kind of depends on what you can get to. For example: When I had to get frozen bolts out of a turbine housing on the bench I heated the housing around the bolt to expand it. That worked on 2 out of 3.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove exhaust manifold bolts?