1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BC's Transmission Overhaul (updated as it occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847

I had to stop and get the Overdrive Clutch's pressure plate milled 0.050" to get things to fit correctly. With that, I'd like to think I'll get the OD section bolted to the main case tonight.
Who did the machining for you?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 PM

After going through all of the trouble to do this rebuild to the very nice and upgraded fashion that you did, why not to an RH tranny and ditch the 518?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
After going through all of the trouble to do this rebuild to the very nice and upgraded fashion that you did, why not to an RH tranny and ditch the 518?
You have to get a different engine adapter, computer to control it and the toruqe converter costs twice as much. Probably would have cost him significantly more to switch to a lockup.. I believe you have to move the cross member back or modify the trans mount as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here Jake, read this:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=114702
Its alot easier than you think.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by materdiesel
You mean an RE, he has an RH... H=hydraulically controlled, E=Electronically... You have to get a different engine adapter, computer to control it and the toruqe converter costs twice as much. Probably would have cost him another $2500-3000 to switch to a RE... I believe you have to move the cross member back and shift linkage needs to be custom as well.
Sorry man, you are slightly confused--The 47 RH is hydraulic with a lockup TC, the 518 is the same without the lockup TC. The RE is hdraulic and electric. The only extra money is the TC, not more than 200 dif (unless you go billet triple disc), yes the adapter and the starter must be changed, possibly 200.00 more. Those prices are on, I have done this conversion myself!!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM

I am confused more often than not lately

I misunderstood Glen at Transgo apparently- when he was asking for my trans make he told me what I said earlier (at least what I heard). I'll fix it.

I'm sticking with the cost being significantly more though- that's the way things always go with my luck. Suncoast non lockup converter is 683 lockup is 1295 (might as well get a good one!). Plus cost of adapter, starter, a transmission to rebuild, trans mount and all the unforseen things will bring it up pretty quick in my opinion. If you got a trans and all that other stuff for $200, more power to you!

I have a 47RE (out of a 99 CTD) but it needs a lot of work. It was free though so I figured why not, just takes up space!

I'll just stop posting, all I seem to do is upset you guys. I still think a 46RH/RE = 518 and a 47RH/RE = 618 just one has a electric governor and the other hydraulic... I posted my first post because this seemed confusing:
why not to an RH tranny and ditch the 518?
A 46RH or 47RH?

From this forum 518 and 618

I do realize that I was wrong in thinking that the E meant lockup and electronic, I'm not debating that. AND I was wrong in the first place so it doesn't really matter, lol
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
Here Jake, read this:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=114702
Its alot easier than you think.
I think that makes it sound harder than what I posted!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by materdiesel
I'll just stop posting, all I seem to do is upset you guys.
Now Now don't be so hard on yourself
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by dizzel
Now Now don't be so hard on yourself
Apparently you didn't see this! Haha!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=166178
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
.070 is too tight for that many clutches and steels, run it at about .120
Where were you two weeks ago when I had the transmission laid out in front of me? I'll call SunCoast and ask again if their specified 0.070" is correct.

Who did the machining for you?
JMK Tool & Die on hwy 27 Coats, NC.

Jake, don't let differing opinion and such dissuade you from posting here or anywhere else for that matter. Ask questions, question authority, and learn from your mistakes. I for one appreciate your input.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM

I just have weak knees after someone who I respected on here turned me into a pile of mush (even though I wasn't wrong)

Let us know what suncoast says, I am running the same 6 disc, reaction plate/clearance that you are more or less (checked my notes in my FSM) with the red alto clutches... With some tweaks here and there, mine shifts beautifully! The guys at suncoast are VERY knowledgeable.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM

.070 for the forward clutch pack with the 6 steels/clutches will work perfect.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Generation Admin

Dave,
How many count clutch pack is that one? And where in the pack was the steel that warped? How many miles since you put the transgo shift kit in?
Your front clutch was definitely on the way towards problems, the frictions don't show signs of problems yet, but they would have. I know I mentioned it before, but my last transmissions suffered from a front clutch failure, everything else look like brand new with the inking on the friction surface still visible on the other clutches.

I talked with Dave Goerend about how it could have happened in depth and there are several factors that can contribute to that problem. I had .100" of unit end play, which is excessive. That caused the drum's oil port to ride almost on the sealing ring. Previous builder had put a 6 element drum in there , I told him about it and even after 2 years he gave me enough parts and then some to rebuild another trans.
Another problem Dave mentioned was with the valve body(something with aftermarket manual valves) and how the front clutch can become pre-charged with oil and just drag the clutch enough to heat it up.
Talking about those heated plates . . . . .

I'm speaking off the top of my head so forgive my errors in terminology.

In going through the valve body . ... One thing the TransGo folks have you check is the positioning of the spool valve worked by the rooster-comb. When in Park, the first inboard valve should just be in the partition. I adjusted that back when I first put in the kit. Checking it this go round, I found that by rotating the rooster-comb back and forth, and bringing it back to Park, things were positioned correctly. BUT! There's enough slack in the interface of the rooster-comb and the spool-valve itself to allow the valve to back out without moving anything else. Not much, but enough to allow flow. I fixed that again.

I need to check the flow schematics to see if that channel feeds the front drum. If so, it may have been dragging.

Front of the adapter plate on the passenger side, 2 bolts hold a cover on. Thats the beautiful thing, you can get the bolts out the bottom on these, if it was a lockup trans you would have to go through the little cover.
Are y'all talking about that hole at 2:30? (Not the barring hole with the rubber plug. Just above that, to the left).

Looking good Dave, the moment of truth is quickly approaching. How much ATF did you get? My 47RH with a deep pan took almost 4 gallons to fill it from dry.
I've got 20 quarts on-hand. I'll take back what I don't use . . . . [BC Grumbles in Homer Simpson Voice] Stupid expensive stuff! That's why they make a Tranny-Diaper (for the transmission ya freak!). I'm git'in one and if the mess 'splods, I'm gonna wring it out and put it back in the next! [/Grumble]
Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
.070 for the forward clutch pack with the 6 steels/clutches will work perfect.
I hope so Fred.

I came home tonight and went to bed.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC847
Are y'all talking about that hole at 2:30? (Not the barring hole with the rubber plug. Just above that, to the left).
Yup, thats the one right there.

Quick Reply: BC's Transmission Overhaul (updated as it occurs)