1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BC's Transmission Overhaul (updated as it occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sooooooo clean.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so thats whats under all the black ...stuff.same under my truck to huh, i think i will clean mine to. thanks for the inspiration. beautiful job better than a shop would have done thats fer sure
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Got a big'ol box of stuff from the brown truck today.

Naturally the overdrive clutch upgrade kit is on back-order. It was in-stock when I ordered it.
Somehow managed to receive two bolt-in roller-clutch assemblies.

Originally Posted by dan1stgen
so thats whats under all the black ...stuff.same under my truck to huh, i think i will clean mine to. thanks for the inspiration. beautiful job better than a shop would have done thats fer sure
I tell ya what, most folks might not think much of an "External Lubrication System" but it sure goes a long way to prevent corrosion.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 AM

i hear that happens alot when you order stuff via mail or internet i say e-bay as long as you weren't charged for there screw up. sounds like everythings goin good 4 ya yull b dun b-4 ya know it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC847
Naturally the overdrive clutch upgrade kit is on back-order. It was in-stock when I ordered it.
Overdrive or direct clutches? If its the overdrive clutches you can almost finish the rebuild because you can put them in just before you set the OD section on.

Somehow managed to receive two bolt-in roller-clutch assemblies.
Extra one eh, I know someone that could use that one.

I tell ya what, most folks might not think much of an "External Lubrication System" but it sure goes a long way to prevent corrosion.
It sure does, that the only reason my trucks in as good of shape as it is, all those little drips have gone a long way to keep everything preserved.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by JD730
Overdrive or direct clutches? If its the overdrive clutches you can almost finish the rebuild because you can put them in just before you set the OD section on.
Direct. I'm upgrading it to the 48RE version I think it is using 23 single sided clutch discs.

I'm upgrading the overdrive clutch pack to 6 discs and steels.

Extra one eh, I know someone that could use that one.
This is where my ignorance really shines. How many over-run clutches are there in the A515? One or two? . . . . Overdrive Overrunning Clutch . . and/or . . . Low / Reverse Roller Clutch . . . . ?
Either way, they sent me two of the bolt-in cams.

Got the drive-shaft rebuilt today with Spicer greasable U-joints and a new support bearing.

I'm on call again this week with work doing HVAC & Refrigeration service and repair. It was 106*F in the shade of my body at about 65% RH today on the roof. Got home late.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 PM

This is where my ignorance really shines. How many over-run clutches are there in the A515? One or two? . . . . Overdrive Overrunning Clutch . . and/or . . . Low / Reverse Roller Clutch . . . . ?
Either way, they sent me two of the bolt-in cams.
Yes, 2 over-running clutches, one is in the OD section and the other is in the main case, that is where the bolt-in one goes. Which is known as the low roller clutch.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Generation Admin

Thanks Mike,

When I ordered the mess, I was under the impression that the low roller clutch was serviced in two pieces. The bolt in cam, and, the sprag assembly itself.

Oops.

The overdrive direct clutch upgrade got shipped out today with a replacement valve-body divider plate.

It's my week to be on-call and I'm being hammered. May have to go out again here shortly.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Generation Admin

Well, between service calls, I've managed to take care of a few smaller items.

Got the front drive-shaft, transfer-case skid-plate, and transmission cross-member cleaned up and painted. While I had the cross-member taken apart, I went ahead and installed new transmission rubber isolators.

The OEM isolators were substantially degraded with oil and time (compare to the new in the center).

I'm going through the mess and re-torquing all the fasteners. The transmission mount and isolator bolts get 150ft/lbs.

Speaking of worn out. I found the transmission shifter's torque lever shaft and bushing quite worn. Hope Dodge still carries such.
It's no wonder my mess was jumping out of gear between that, those trans mounts, and torn engine mounts.

I was also able to climb under the truck and replace the flex-plate. Here's the old one. ~

It's actually a replacement flex-plate as I tore out the center hub of the OEM one a couple of years after I bought the truck. ~

While I was in there, I re-torqued the trans to engine adapter plate bolts to 44ft/lbs, sanded the crankshaft bolt flange, and bell-housing mating surfaces.

I didn't actually measure it, but the difference in the OEM and after-market SFI rated flex-plate is obvious.

With that, I bolted it together with backing-plate, LocTite, and torqued to 55ft/lbs in the typical star pattern.

I've still got to wash and paint the rear drive-shaft, and transfer case shifter assembly.

Then I can start breaking down the transmission itself.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Ace
Banned

You really do good work, man.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
X2!, nice clean surgical type work. Can`t wait for the meat `n` taters.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Generation Admin

Arrow

Thanks folks.

After a few service calls, I was able to finish cleaning and painting the rest of the drive-line stuff.

Then got a cool Mountain Dew and went at it.

BTW, for those interested in the outward differences between the OEM converter and that from SunCoast, they're pretty much the same on one side.

There's a big difference on the other however. The OEM converter's flex-plate side looks to be stamped heavy plate-iron while the SunCoast is machined billet steel. It's suppose to reduce alleged flex of the converter cover if I understand correctly.

OK, I worked by The Book for the most part and removed the overdrive section first.

Then flipped it over to remove the pan. I went ahead and used the transmission jack as a stand. Works OK.

Removed the Valve-body as an assembly.

To remove the front oil pump, they want you to use two dent pullers. Lacking such, I borrowed a couple of appropriately sized bolts and used a large wrench as a fulcrum against the case. Worked like a champ.

From there, again following the instruction of the FSM, removed a bunch of stuff.

Using another Super-Double'ought Top Secret Tool (part number WexG0txYa), I removed the servo assemblies.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Generation Admin

Arrow

Hello . . . Hello . . . Hello . . . Hello.

Echo . . . Echo . . . Echo . .. Echo

It's pretty hollow in there.

I'll not be On-Call for work over the next two weeks so weather permitting, I should be able to get right to the servicing of the sub-assemblies.

So far, so good.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 PM

sweet build up man. nice and clean. i wish some shops would work like you!

Dominick
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Generation Admin

Angry

Thanks Dominick.

Tonight was aggravating.

It started with a brief, but heavy downpour five minutes after I got home. Made things just humid enough so that every internal part I cleaned with aerosol brake cleaner . . . went to sweating! I managed to get around that by letting the cleaner just evaporate in front of the fan, and then quickly dunking the parts in clean trans fluid.

The karma just wasn't right tonight. Things went slow.

I did get a few things done. I thoroughly cleaned the case inside and out. I started to install the new low roller clutch cam, but discovered I lack an 11/32" drill bit. DOH!

I then moved on to the forward and direct clutches. Upgraded the direct from 8 friction elements to 12 with a new piston, reaction plate, and seals, etc. Got to the forward clutch and replaced all the seals and in the process of upgrading that clutch-pack from 8 friction elements to 10, I found I need a different reaction plate. DOH!

I forgot to order a rear band. DOH!

Replaced the seals on the input shaft.

That's when Mothra decided to land in the tub of trans fluid I was using to wet the discs and stuff.

Enough! I put everything up and came in the house.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: BC's Transmission Overhaul (updated as it occurs)