1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

axle nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Well, if you replace the nylock every time, or replace the bend-a-tab keeper every time, and like most of us who use out trucks fairly hard get into the brakes once in awhile, they'll pay for themselves over time.

The pin style jam nuts are cheaper, but the stage 8 gives you the correct bearing lash/feel on install, instead of having to guess slightly loose so it's right after a jam nut.
I have never had any problems with these.The nylock is a bad idea for that application.
Attached Thumbnails axle nuts-index.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I've been using, and re-using the Nyloc nuts...never had any issue so far. And have not had any issue with the pre-load/lash changing between brake service times. But looking at the Stage 8 site, I can't see how the Stage 8 system automatically set's the pre-load/lash? It's just a fancier HD system then the front D60 spindle nut system.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, looks to me like the stage 8 fastener system is the solution to a problem that does not exist on daily moderate duty vehicles.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
Yup, looks to me like the stage 8 fastener system is the solution to a problem that does not exist on daily moderate duty vehicles.
It looks cool though.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It sure does!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT
Originally Posted by mknittle
It looks cool though.
I agree...very neat looking system, and perhaps it's more for conversation and bragging rights on these HD rock crawlers.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I agree...very neat looking system, and perhaps it's more for conversation and bragging rights on these HD rock crawlers.
I think there is a lot if stuff tike that on some of them.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My passenger side wheel was extremely loose on my 90. Someone had reused the nylock nut several times. If the wheel comes off it would likely ruin the axle stub.
I went with the Stage 8 x-lock system. Nice parts and worth every penny compared to the possibility of destroying a nice Dana axle and who knows what else.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I've been using, and re-using the Nyloc nuts...never had any issue so far. And have not had any issue with the pre-load/lash changing between brake service times. But looking at the Stage 8 site, I can't see how the Stage 8 system automatically set's the pre-load/lash? It's just a fancier HD system then the front D60 spindle nut system.
It's about thread backlash. There has to be some, or you couldn't spin the nut onto the spindle. The nylock or the stage 8 nut rides against the outside thread on the spindle when installed. The inner nut of a double nut system rides against the outside thread when set, then moves to the inside thread when the jam nut is installed. That changes the free play or preload.

Further, the entire nut of the nylock or stage 8 system is holding the force of the bearing against the spindle threads. On the double nut system, the nuts are forcing the threads against each other, using up some of the strength of the threads that's needed to counter extreme side forces from the wheel bearing in a crisis. In effect instead of 8 or 10 threads holding the load, there's only 2 or 3.

The only spindles I've seen that cleanly stripped out had double nut systems on them. I've seen several over the years.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
It's about thread backlash. There has to be some, or you couldn't spin the nut onto the spindle. The nylock or the stage 8 nut rides against the outside thread on the spindle when installed. The inner nut of a double nut system rides against the outside thread when set, then moves to the inside thread when the jam nut is installed. That changes the free play or preload.

Further, the entire nut of the nylock or stage 8 system is holding the force of the bearing against the spindle threads. On the double nut system, the nuts are forcing the threads against each other, using up some of the strength of the threads that's needed to counter extreme side forces from the wheel bearing in a crisis. In effect instead of 8 or 10 threads holding the load, there's only 2 or 3.

The only spindles I've seen that cleanly stripped out had double nut systems on them. I've seen several over the years.
I have never seen one stripped because of a double nut system. Maybe because of a double nut installation system.
Personally I think we are over analyzing something that isn't a common problem.