1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new here! I recently bought a 1993 W250 completely stock other than a small lift and larger tires. I wanted a diesel that I don't have to smog and that nobody else has around me, and I think a 1st gen just looks awesome! So my problem is I live in Long Beach, CA. and I can't find anyone within a 100 miles of me that will work on a 12v Cummins that knows anything about them. Seems like out here if they can't plug a computer in to anything they won't touch it. My injector pump is starting to leak out of the small weep hole/rubber nipple thing at the top of the pump. I would like to find someone in my area that knows 12v's that I can trust. I have though about pulling my pump and sending it out to get it re-built but I don't have the time or confidence to do it. I have heard Maximum Diesels in Hemet CA is the place to go but they are almost 100 miles from me, so taking the truck there and getting back home and then going back to get it is a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?-truck.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Welcome to the board and very nice looking truck.Sorry I can't help with your problem though.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Just buy the 20 dollar bosch rebuild kit and do it yourself. The leak is on the fuel pin in the pump top cover. I know Jimbo and Jim Lane are down that way as well as Meiser, maybe you guys should have a pump sealing party.

Time to get your hands down and dirty sooner than later. Although "cool" to look at, these trucks need a lot of work and upkeep stay on top of nagging issues. Other than that, they are simple as an anvil, do good hard work, last forever (because most all major components are infinitely rebuildable) and get decent MPG due to no emissions equipment and and efficient injection pump (VE pump.)

Check out Jim Lane's write-up here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...el-pin-153154/
Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Most of us have found out the hard way that shops, in addition to being expensive, just don't care as much as we do. That tends to get expensive and frustrating.

If you're bound by time, tools, and work space more than money, a good shop is needed, and worth searching for.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
It's the o-rings that shrivel up and shrink. If you have time and can have the engine down for awhile, I would take the pump apart, get all the o-rings in a bag and ship them off to marcorubber. He can sell you viton orings which will last an incredible long time.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Pablo Madrid @ NTG Racing in Santee,Ca. Probably equidistant to Ventura.
He has a builder they use and would install it while you wait I believe. He knows the 12v's inside and out. Cummins Master tech.
619-449-2758
Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by gbcracing4
Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new here! I recently bought a 1993 W250 completely stock other than a small lift and larger tires. I wanted a diesel that I don't have to smog and that nobody else has around me, and I think a 1st gen just looks awesome! So my problem is I live in Long Beach, CA. and I can't find anyone within a 100 miles of me that will work on a 12v Cummins that knows anything about them. Seems like out here if they can't plug a computer in to anything they won't touch it. My injector pump is starting to leak out of the small weep hole/rubber nipple thing at the top of the pump. I would like to find someone in my area that knows 12v's that I can trust. I have though about pulling my pump and sending it out to get it re-built but I don't have the time or confidence to do it. I have heard Maximum Diesels in Hemet CA is the place to go but they are almost 100 miles from me, so taking the truck there and getting back home and then going back to get it is a problem.
GB, that is an awesome find! Nice rig! Is that thing dent free? How about s'more pics?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Here are so more pictures. She is pretty straight but not perfect. There are some small dings and dents here and there. The paint is starting to go like most of these trucks do. Interior is very clean. I looked at a bunch of 1st gen trucks and there were really in bad shape. This was one of the cleanest I found.

Originally Posted by bigragu
GB, that is an awesome find! Nice rig! Is that thing dent free? How about s'more pics?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?-truck-002.jpg   Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?-truck-003.jpg   Anyone know of a good 12v mechanic in So. CA?-truck-001.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Yeah a pump sealing party sounds good to me, I would love to do my own pump and have someone there that has done one that can offer some assistance if needed! I'll fill the cooler up and order some pizzas. But let's do my truck first before the cooler gets empty and everyone forgets about working on pumps for the day!

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Just buy the 20 dollar bosch rebuild kit and do it yourself. The leak is on the fuel pin in the pump top cover. I know Jimbo and Jim Lane are down that way as well as Meiser, maybe you guys should have a pump sealing party.

Time to get your hands down and dirty sooner than later. Although "cool" to look at, these trucks need a lot of work and upkeep stay on top of nagging issues. Other than that, they are simple as an anvil, do good hard work, last forever (because most all major components are infinitely rebuildable) and get decent MPG due to no emissions equipment and and efficient injection pump (VE pump.)

Check out Jim Lane's write-up here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...el-pin-153154/
Old 01-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Looked over your pics. For one that was just purchased, that probably is the cleanest I've seen. That interior is awesome. Has my color scheme. You even got the same cup holders as mine.
Wish I had the xtra cab. Nothing beats those seats for comfort. Plus you can kick it back and take a nap! While parked, that is
Old 01-30-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Where in LB are you? I'm just down the road near the Los Alamitos Race Track. I'd offer to help but right now I've got my hands full with mine getting it ready to pull the motor for a rebuild. The repair you need is a simple one and should only take a couple of hours even if you're taking your time. I followed the steps in the link shared above and didn't have an issue. I took my time and didn't rush. Double and triple checked everything. Jim Lane is a local guy as well. Not to mention, a very knowledgeable guy. He has quite the background in mechanics, electrical, etc.

If you wanted to take it to a local shop, give Bud's Diesel a call. He's in Midway City. Next door to Westminster. There's also Dumas Diesel in Long Beach off of Pacific and the 710, I believe. I've been there once years ago. Referred by my Diesel Tech. instructor. It was the first replacement part I had ever purchased for my truck and didn't know of any other Bosch suppliers at the time. Sketchy area, though, if you ask me.