1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?

My truck has a GV under/overdrive installed, currently not functioning. It looks like a previous owner abandoned it. All the wiring, control box, and various sensors seem to be there. Maybe missing the dash switch and indicator led, just trying to figure out if I can get it working. One of the wires going to the solenoid is crushed, so it could be an easy fix or huge pain in my edit. I have no literature on it at all, so anything would be helpful. The 3 speed auto is geared a bit low for the highway, so it would be great to get that thing running if possible.
thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 PM

I would fix the solinoid wire first. After that I would look at the speed sensor. It is attached to the short speed cable coming out of the transmission, there should be a wire or two attached to that one as well. Does the speedometer work? Mine did not when I put my kit in, it turned out that one of the crimp fittings on the supplied short speed cable was not crimpted well, as a result it just spun on the cable and provided no data to the speed sensor for the GV.

I will see if I can find my diagram but it will not be until at least this weekend.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Does the light come on when you turn the switch to activate it?

Flash
Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 AM

There is no dash switch currently, the wire that comes out of the brain box marked "dash switch" has 3 clips/plugs, and they are just zip tied up under the dash, attached to nothing...I need to know what they are supposed to attach to. One has 3 wires, the other 2 have 2 each. There is a foot switch in place of the dimmer on the floorboard that is hooked up. From the GV website I can figure there should be a toggle switch, a red/green led and ???
I'll get that solenoid wire fixed, and my speedo does work, it's even within 2 mph, as compared to a roadside radar display the cops set up.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by leadvilleram
There is no dash switch currently, the wire that comes out of the brain box marked "dash switch" has 3 clips/plugs, and they are just zip tied up under the dash, attached to nothing...I need to know what they are supposed to attach to. One has 3 wires, the other 2 have 2 each. There is a foot switch in place of the dimmer on the floorboard that is hooked up. From the GV website I can figure there should be a toggle switch, a red/green led and ???
I'll get that solenoid wire fixed, and my speedo does work, it's even within 2 mph, as compared to a roadside radar display the cops set up.
thought i had my wiring diagram at work, but its not

Worse case, i can snap some pic's of the controller and switch.

I bet when you fix that crush wire, its going to fix it

Flash.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 PM

I'll update when I fix that crushed wire. My only thought is that it won't work without the dash switch circuit closed. If you can see them, what color are the wires hooked to the dash switch? I'm not concerned with the indicator led's right now.
Gotta put in a new brake booster/master first though. That Cummins is hard to stop with fluid seeping out of the master.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
gv schematic

if you got a fax# ill send one, but it only shows one wire going to the dash switch in red, black goes to hand switch, white to solenoid, blue speedo, im sure these are wire groups, ill pull my dash switch and let you know the right order, are you auto, or manual, call me if you want, ill be in the shop today, saturday, 760-949-0004, joe.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
gv od

ooops, that blue goes to the 4x4 lockout switch, and yellow goes to the speedo, joe.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Auto. 4wd. I need to take a look at my individual wire colors in the group that goes to the dash. I can snap a couple shots too. All the other wire groups are plugged in and attached to their respective sensors, ect. At work all day, I'll check it out when I get home.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM

That's the wiring chart that i can't seam to find

that is exactly how mine is wired up!
figure out your problem yet?

Flash
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 AM

I'll finally get a chance to dig in today. The dash switch assy. is missing completely, so I can run a 2 way toggle or rocker switch to the 3 wire clip so I can turn the thing on and go from there. My unit must be a bit older, the brain box is half the size of the diagram. thanks for digging that out. now for some java and get to work on it.

Do they run ATF, or 80w/90 gear oil in these things?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 PM

I would call GV on the oil to use. it is a gear oil that they use, but there is different variates, and some they don't recamend............

For example, when i got my GV they recommended a mopar part number###### that part number had superseded to a new one.
Called GV to make sure and they said the updated part number had sulfur or didn't have or something like that and now they recommended a the GM gear oil Part number #######

now GM has replace there part number?

In another couple thousand miles I'm going to have to call then too, so i can change my oil.

Flash
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM

OK, all wires and connections have been repaired, got the 4wd indicator light working(bonus). OD Doesn't work. Here is a snap of the wires that come out of the brain box "dash switch" connector(red circuit). I don't have a dash control box, so I'll have to make one with a 2 way toggle switch, and a couple of LED's. Do you know which wires go to the rocker switch in the dash control box, and which wires go to the green/red lights.

[/IMG]
Hopefully my pic shows up.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Mine is wired up a little differently.........But here's some pic that might, help.
Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?-dscn0500.jpg

Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?-dscn0501.jpg

Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?-dscn0503.jpg

EDIT: if you click on the pic you can enlarge it two times, acutely came out clear

Flash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have a Gear Vendors OD wiring diagram?