1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

aftermarket speedo - auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip
Justin there was no link in your first post. When you go to summit and put in summit speedo. It only comes up with about 10 or more universal style speedo's. That's why I asked. So I was on the same page with what you had.

The rear axle sensor is a 8K pulse on that truck. So you have options of using whichever is the easiest to wire in.

I assume your doing away with anything dealing with PCM control.
Sorry for coming off a-holeish. Didn't think about there being more than one summit digital speedo. But thank you very much for the info. Had no idea about the abs sensor or the 8k pulse signal. Now just have to figure out if that pulse will still be there once I remove the 4.7. Not removing the PCM but I've heard without the cam position and crank position sensors operational that things don't function properly. I plan on just tucking everything out of the way and unplugging as little as possible, lol. I'm hoping it's as simple as sending a dummy signal to the auto shutdown relay to tell the PCM that the truck is running. I'm incredibly novice in the world of electronics, but I have an FSM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If the PCM doesn't see the injectors/ mass air sensor and other items. Its going to throw massive error codes. In this case dumping the PCM completely might be the best option. I dought if the PCM will turn on the ASD relay.

A was not mad or anything. I just needed a little more info to try and help more. No big deal.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip
If the PCM doesn't see the injectors/ mass air sensor and other items. Its going to throw massive error codes. In this case dumping the PCM completely might be the best option. I dought if the PCM will turn on the ASD relay.

A was not mad or anything. I just needed a little more info to try and help more. No big deal.
well i'm pulling the entire gauge cluster out and making my own with the aftermarket gauges, so don't have to worry about a check engine light, lol. it's going to be interesting to see what works and what doesn't once the cummins is in place. the PCM will be essentially useless but i'm not trying to eliminate anything unless i absolutely have to because i'm not sure what goes through that thing. i spoke with another gent that did a swap like i'm doing and he said the only thing that didn't work was the gauge cluster after his swap. which is why i'm going all aftermarket.

sorry that this has gotten off 1st gen topic. was initially asking in this section as it is a 1st gen motor/trans and the trans signal was what i was questioning.

philip. do you know the pulse rate of the a518 signal? I guess worst case i could just calibrate the speedo to that if the abs sensor goes haywire.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 AM

I don't know the 518 pulse rate.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:44 PM

Justin if you have a FSM for that truck. Scan the gasser wiring section and send it to me at philip1952@hotmail.com.

I have a FSM for a 05 model. I don't know how much difference there is between those years.