1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

aftermarket speedo - auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
aftermarket speedo - auto trans

anyone ever install/try to install an aftermarket speedo with an a518 auto trans? i bought a summit digital speedo for this '03 1500 swap i'm doing and just wondering if the signal from the factory unit in the trans will work with the speedo or if i'll need an aftermarket sending unit as well.

any and all info/opinions/advice is welcome.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
How about a GPS speedometer like we use in boats.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j_martin
How about a GPS speedometer like we use in boats.
yes, they make a GPS sending unit for this speedo, but i'm hoping to not have to purchase one (see. poor old sailor)
Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Justin doesn't that year use the ABS sensor on the rear axle?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Philip
Justin doesn't that year use the ABS sensor on the rear axle?
Not certain, but I know the a518 uses the 2 pin connector on the trans. If so, I guess I have 2 possible sources for a speedo signal?
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
There is a company that rebuilds the speedometer ratio adapter that is attached to the transfer case or transmission. I think they are in Alabama but can't remember their name off the top of my head. You could probably get them to build you a mechanical ratio adapter and run a cable. There is also a company in CA called A1 speedometer that may be able to do it as well.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
Not certain, but I know the a518 uses the 2 pin connector on the trans. If so, I guess I have 2 possible sources for a speedo signal?
Justin somewhere around 98 I know the diesel trucks went to the ABS sensors in the rear axle for speedo. I would bet gassers went the same way at that time. Dodge wouldn't want to waste money on two setups. Bean counters wouldn't let that happen.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

Justin somewhere around 98 I know the diesel trucks went to the ABS sensors in the rear axle for speedo. I would bet gassers went the same way at that time. Dodge wouldn't want to waste money on two setups. Bean counters wouldn't let that happen.
I think you missed the part where I mentioned that I'm using an aftermarket speedo and an A518. Therefore, if the truck does use the abs sensor, I would have that signal and/or the signal from the a518 to go to my aftermarket speedo.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 PM

No I didn't miss what your using. If it can be made to work off the 518 setup. Most likely it can work off the ABS sensor to. Try the original first. If it doesn't work. Then go threw the other setup.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:03 AM
Banned

No I didn't miss what your using. If it can be made to work off the 518 setup. Most likely it can work off the ABS sensor to. Try the original first. If it doesn't work. Then go threw the other setup.
Ah, ok, sorry. Thought you were thinking I was using the stock speedo in which case I'd just use the abs sensor. Was really just curious if anyone has used an aftermarket speedo with the a518
Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 AM

A make and model of the speedo will help us. There are many after market models out there.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Banned

A make and model of the speedo will help us. There are many after market models out there.
again, not trying to be a smart-A here, as i do appreciate the help. but it was in the original post, lol. but just to clarify. it's the Summit Digital speedo. i bought these gauges for speedo/oil/water/volt/fuel level as they were cheap and had decent reviews. heres a link

Summit Racing® LED Digital Speedometers SUM-G2981-2W - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Old 04-24-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Reading the instructions that come with it (or should), it sounds to me like it's a self-calibrating unit. Initially set-up for 8000 pulses per mile, an industry standard. Following the instructions, connect it to your speed sensor and other necessary electrical contacts, cycle through the settings in the gauge itself, drive a standing mile and stop. What speed you travel is irrelevant. It will apparently calculate the pulses for you and therefore, calibrate the speedo.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...um-g2981-2.pdf
Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimbo486
Reading the instructions that come with it (or should), it sounds to me like it's a self-calibrating unit. Initially set-up for 8000 pulses per mile, an industry standard. Following the instructions, connect it to your speed sensor and other necessary electrical contacts, cycle through the settings in the gauge itself, drive a standing mile and stop. What speed you travel is irrelevant. It will apparently calculate the pulses for you and therefore, calibrate the speedo.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...um-g2981-2.pdf
thank you for breaking it down for my feeble brain to process. i just wasn't sure if the signal coming from the trans was correct for the speedo. but sounds as if it should be adequate, especially if i can calibrate to my specific signal with the whole standing mile thing. i didn't even know about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile options when i bought the thing. pretty neat, even though this thing will be far from a race vehicle, lol.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Justin there was no link in your first post. When you go to summit and put in summit speedo. It only comes up with about 10 or more universal style speedo's. That's why I asked. So I was on the same page with what you had.

The rear axle sensor is a 8K pulse on that truck. So you have options of using whichever is the easiest to wire in.

I assume your doing away with anything dealing with PCM control.

Quick Reply: aftermarket speedo - auto trans